• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Currie was on WFNZ this morning ducking and dodging every question about conference realignment. He did take some time to gleefully report that Wake's football TV ratings are higher than NC State and Duke, and only slightly lower than UNC.
I mean what else was he supposed to do? I'm sure there's a contingency plan in place but why air out all that dirty laundry like FSU if you don't have to?

Auburn doesn't even have a law school so let's just keep that in mind as we read posts from Auburn's 40 year old Widespread Panic fan.
24* and neither does Georgia Tech. Auburn is primarily an engineering school. However I can't hide behind that distinction as I was a history and philosophy double major, which I guess just makes me a moron.

24* and neither does Georgia Tech. Auburn is primarily an engineering school. However I can't hide behind that distinction as I was a history and philosophy double major, which I guess just makes me a moron.
I was faculty there for 10 years! War Eagle (cue red tailed hawk screech)! Which makes me some sort of moron mentor.

USC doesn’t get much respect on this board but I truly believe Beamer is building something there. If the ACC wants to make a football statement it has that chance when top 20 UNC (third highest pre season rank in ACC) plays USC out of the gate in CLT. Lose that, have LSU beat FSU (ranked 8) first week and ND beat State in Raleigh and Wake lose to Vandy then the ACC rep shits the bed before September is over
I think Beamer will continue to have success and build that program but I'm still not sure whether the ceiling at USCjr is made of glass or reinforced concrete. UNC likely wins that matchup though barring some kind of unmitigated disaster on defense, also think Wake beats Vandy without breaking much of a sweat. I have no idea whether State is any good because it seems like all they do is underperform relative to preseason expectations. LSU looks like a legitimate national title contender this year (at least on paper) so they'll probably grab the win against FSU. I'd say winning two or three out of four would be a pretty decent start to the season for the ACC. Would be go a long way in buying the conference some time and bargaining power at the negotiating table if VT can get its shit together.

UNC is favored by 3 against S. Carolina. Seems like UNC finds a way to lose this game every year. You can count on S. Carolina getting a score on special teams. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Last edited:
I think the starting 22 certainly are. Wiscy has far more quality depth across entire roster but I don’t think you’re giving Clawson enough credit for being a great evaluator and having an eye for talent.
Wake just doesnt have a Braelon Allen. I think Paul Chryst being in an insulin induced coma the last two years has led to him falling under the radar, but this is a serious NFL level talent who is NINETEEN years old. Watch his highlights and remember he is 17/18 in them. They also just got something like 5qbs in their room now including that fella from SMU and still have their typical defense. I think if we were talking about the Wake Forest of last year maybe, but this looks like a down year especially since Hartman left. Who's QB1 now?

If you think Wake and Wiscy are comparable you should see a neurologist. You also fail to consider that talent in the north goes under the radar more often than the south with croots
When we played them in the Covid year bowl, we had more talent on offense. Sam just had a meltdown. Their defense was pretty stout.

When we played them in the Covid year bowl, we had more talent on offense. Sam just had a meltdown. Their defense was pretty stout.
Yea their offense in COVID was hot dog shit no denial of that here, but I am more talking about right now. They have a Doak Walker candidate RB and some decent QBs (on paper - we will see in a few weeks) with some really strong recruits coming in. It is interesting though just looking at the passing stats they were about equally as efficient - and Clawson is a much better coach than Chryst now that much is self evident

Wisconsin has been a top 15 program in wins since 2000, let's be realistic here. And with Fickell and Longo's air raid offense coming in, they're finally going to be exciting.

Wisconsin has been a top 15 program in wins since 2000, let's be realistic here. And with Fickell and Longo's air raid offense coming in, they're finally going to be exciting.
Yea but they had two/three ho-hum years in the Big10 and Wake had a good team so that obviously means theyre the exact same! Just dont look at when the mayo bowl game

Who gives a shit how Wake Forest compares to Wisconsin? Why is this even a conversation?

Even in the years that Wake Forest has superior on the field results to Wisconsin, we are in an era where that does not matter at all. All that matters is how much TV revenue the fanbase generates, which obviously Wisconsin wins.

Who gives a shit how Wake Forest compares to Wisconsin? Why is this even a conversation?

Even in the years that Wake Forest has superior on the field results to Wisconsin, we are in an era where that does not matter at all. All that matters is how much TV revenue the fanbase generates, which obviously Wisconsin wins.
I was bringing up schools to the weirdos malding at the B10 in football and basketball when its not like Wake would be a world beater in that conference. It's a convo for the Clemson football or Duke basketball fans fine but lets focus on trying to get back to March Madness and keeping football respectable instead of whinging about another conference lol

Back