• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

OU does one PPV per year as part of their T2 and T3 rights that are not part of the Fox Big XII deal. All the $ goes to OU. It's always against the shittiest non-conf team on the schedule.

I remember that being a close OT game a few years ago maybe against a service academy and no one in the country could watch.

Realignment reset: The Athletic writers draft new college football conferences from scratch https://theathletic.com/2751717/202...ew-college-football-conferences-from-scratch/

Eight writers drafted 10 teams each. Wake Forest is the only Power 5 program that didn’t get picked.

27a2b06dadf9d8e738804d8556463075.jpg

597189b74af71f5fa43eee8b940856cb.jpg

450a70285d891bd9857fbb3c6992d673.jpg

UNC, State, and Duke got picked in the 3-5 rounds respectively. BC was the last ACC team at #72.

Games televised exclusively on streaming or other pay options are not new.

The reason it is important is that it is ND... If they can carry an audience for a dud of a game against Toledo, using only Peacock, that is additional proof that the current contract they have with NBC (which expires in 2025) is too much in favor of NBC.

If ND can get an "at market" contract renewal w/ NBC, I see zero reason they'd want to join a conference. They'd make more money solo than they would as part of any conference AND they'll have an even easier road to a playoff with 12 teams.

With NIL, the landscape as far as who's good and who are the most big-time programs is going to change. And I don't think it will take very long. The power programs now have become powerful based on an old model that doesnt exist anymore - college athletics. That's been totally obliterated. We are all thinking in terms of how things have traditionally been. A major shuffle is about to happen conferences or leagues be damned. What conference a team is in is going to matter very little anymore. It's all about the $ deals for recruits/players.

I remember that being a close OT game a few years ago maybe against a service academy and no one in the country could watch.

Yes. The Army game where the D had no answer for the same play every down. Thanks, Mike Stoops. OOC games that year were FAU, UCLA, and Army. UCLA ended up being the worst of the 3 that year, but it's easy to see how schedulers thought it might be Army. FAU was coming off a great season with Lane Kiffin as HC.

Going back to 2000, OU did not have any PPV games in only two seasons-- 2004 and 2005. Since 2006, they have consistently had one per year. From 2000-2003, they often had two a year. One year one of the PPV games (of 2 that year) was actually Baylor because Baylor sucked so bad then.

With NIL, the landscape as far as who's good and who are the most big-time programs is going to change. And I don't think it will take very long. The power programs now have become powerful based on an old model that doesnt exist anymore - college athletics. That's been totally obliterated. We are all thinking in terms of how things have traditionally been. A major shuffle is about to happen conferences or leagues be damned. What conference a team is in is going to matter very little anymore. It's all about the $ deals for recruits/players.

Yes, but that's why the conferences are realigning. The schools are trying to get as much money as possible so that they can be the ones controlling the money and paying the players. The conferences that pay the most are going to get the players.

Yes, but that's why the conferences are realigning. The schools are trying to get as much money as possible so that they can be the ones controlling the money and paying the players. The conferences that pay the most are going to get the players.

What???????? The schools themselves can't pay players NIL. So I am missing what you are trying to say.

Last edited:
What???????? The schools themselves can't pay players NIL. So I am missing what you are trying to say.

NIL may be separate from official school pay but schools can and will pay players legally now. And whatever schools and conferences pay the most will be the best destination for players. Schools will also work to organize NIL for their players.

Good thing their opinions don't mean a damn thing.

Sure, but it's a pretty damning data point about where we stand on the national landscape. I don't have much confidence we'd fare better on other media lists or average fans. It's sobering for sure.

Last edited:
So what does this mean for basketball? I'm not a huge football fan. Is it even going to matter in a few years that Forbes is putting in work to get us back on top?

It's going to matter to us. It won't matter for conference realignment or TV deals.

So what does this mean for basketball? I'm not a huge football fan. Is it even going to matter in a few years that Forbes is putting in work to get us back on top?

Basketball just doesn't matter. Outside of NC, Kentucky and Kansas, nobody gives a crap.

I think that Wake basketball would fare much better than football if we are no longer in the ACC or any new version of a power conference.

NIL may be separate from official school pay but schools can and will pay players legally now. And whatever schools and conferences pay the most will be the best destination for players. Schools will also work to organize NIL for their players.

The only true thing there is the last sentence. Sort of. Schools will - and already have - make sure that there is an outside agency handling the NIL for players. The schools themselves can't touch it. And I dont want to hear that they will cheat and do it anyway. My god if the schools do what you say they may as well drop a bomb tomorrow on every stadium in the country.

The only true thing there is the last sentence. Sort of. Schools will - and already have - make sure that there is an outside agency handling the NIL for players. The schools themselves can't touch it. And I dont want to hear that they will cheat and do it anyway. My god if the schools do what you say they may as well drop a bomb tomorrow on every stadium in the country.

Wrong. The recent SCOTUS decision allowed for schools to provide extra benefits to players. After that, the NCAA and various states passed laws allowing for NIL. You want to really question whether schools will be competing in their best package for players? What's the limitation? The NCAA has already said it would be better if schools and conferences create and enforce their own rules. The SCOTUS has approved it.

If you care about bball being relevant then you need to care about football.

Wrong. The recent SCOTUS decision allowed for schools to provide extra benefits to players. After that, the NCAA and various states passed laws allowing for NIL. You want to really question whether schools will be competing in their best package for players? What's the limitation? The NCAA has already said it would be better if schools and conferences create and enforce their own rules. The SCOTUS has approved it.

Exactly! Amateur sports as we knew is dead and its all about who can pay now. I'm curious if/when schools will stop programs like tennis, rugby, softball and such to have more to put into Football. the unprofitable ones might have to go in the name of competition.

Back