• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I think it’s finally time for the Magnolia League
Could happen. What ESPN fails to see, this could be something millions would rather watch. It's just remarkable that people believe people from Alabama and Mississippi are going to control college football. It ain't happening.

LOL. People from Alabama and Mississippi control our politics and have since after Reconstruction. College football and higher education are very political.

They have overplayed their hand. ESPN is another dupe. The real power is preparing to crank on the SEC. They didn't think this through. You need to think about this from the presidential level of Universties. This is bigger than you think. A war between schools run by Athletic departments and schools run by smart people.

Yeah. OK. Money talks and the other shit walks. The ADs of these schools are going to bring in gobs of money that will help pay for bloated university administration costs and more professors specializing in something useless. Seems to me like it's a perfect marriage.

Yeah. OK. Money talks and the other shit walks. The ADs of these schools are going to bring in gobs of money that will help pay for bloated university administration costs and more professors specializing in something useless. Seems to me like it's a perfect marriage.

Very few athletics departments contribute positive cash to the greater university. In most schools it is the opposite, with "student activities fees" from the general school budget used to subsidize intercollegiate athletics. That is why many small schools play guarantee games. Go to a big school. Get your team beaten badly. Take home a $500,000+ check.

Big XII says it could lose 50% of its TV revenue without UT and OU

which then begs the question, is a conference better off paying its members all the same amount and potentially losing the cash cow(s), or paying more to those who bring in more revenue?

we better market that ACC Network Tennis coverage more proactively!

Do we know how much our tv contract would increase if the ACC Network finally got on Xfinity?

They have overplayed their hand. ESPN is another dupe. The real power is preparing to crank on the SEC. They didn't think this through. You need to think about this from the presidential level of Universties. This is bigger than you think. A war between schools run by Athletic departments and schools run by smart people.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I think it’s finally time for the Magnolia League

When ACC expansion/Big East contraction was first being discussed, there was a (to me any way) fairly sane suggestion by a pundit that the ACC be an 8-team conference, and they partner with the Big East football schools (BC, Rutgers, Miami, Cuse, Pitt, VT, UCONN, WV) to cross-schedule 2-3 non-conference games per team each season. The two conferences would ea. declare their champion solely based on regular season record (a real champ, b/c you play each of the other 7 conference teams), and the two conference champs would play a championship game to determine a rep in (at the time) a major bowl game, or in the future a guaranteed spot in any expanded national playoff. So you "expand" your football associations and rivalries to include 16 teams, while maintaining the rivalries and tradition of home-away conference matchups in basketball and most of the other sports, plus avoid the ridiculous costs of sending your cross country team literally across the country. Pipe dream yes, but hard to argue that ACC and Big East basketball plus all the other sports not named football would be better off today. And you could argue that football would be better served by Wake/UNC and Duke/NCSU and others not in the situation of only playing each other every 5 years or so in the conference.

When ACC expansion/Big East contraction was first being discussed, there was a (to me any way) fairly sane suggestion by a pundit that the ACC be an 8-team conference, and they partner with the Big East football schools (BC, Rutgers, Miami, Cuse, Pitt, VT, UCONN, WV) to cross-schedule 2-3 non-conference games per team each season. The two conferences would ea. declare their champion solely based on regular season record (a real champ, b/c you play each of the other 7 conference teams), and the two conference champs would play a championship game to determine a rep in (at the time) a major bowl game, or in the future a guaranteed spot in any expanded national playoff. So you "expand" your football associations and rivalries to include 16 teams, while maintaining the rivalries and tradition of home-away conference matchups in basketball and most of the other sports, plus avoid the ridiculous costs of sending your cross country team literally across the country. Pipe dream yes, but hard to argue that ACC and Big East basketball plus all the other sports not named football would be better off today. And you could argue that football would be better served by Wake/UNC and Duke/NCSU and others not in the situation of only playing each other every 5 years or so in the conference.

So, the current ACC, but weaker overall with the additions of Rutgers and UConn, and with no Notre Dame.

Games televised exclusively on streaming or other pay options are not new.

Yeah my first reaction to this was that is was a semi-big deal, but you have to think that with the ACC contract they’d still have 1-2 games a year solely on WatchESPN.

So, the current ACC, but weaker overall with the additions of Rutgers and UConn, and with no Notre Dame.

Try reading my post again: 8 team ACC; which for football means 7 conference games. Association with the Big East would merely help fill non-con slate and to offer a playoff-level game between the ACC and Big East champs at the end of their respective conference seasons. Not that dissimilar to the route the PAC 12 and Big 12(8) are exploring now.

I’m sorry I don’t see any advantages to you proposed league except a couple of more games between historically middling legacy ACC opponents that no one wants to see.

I’m sorry I don’t see any advantages to you proposed league except a couple of more games between historically middling legacy ACC opponents that no one wants to see.

Jeez, read my post again; it was not my idea.

Try reading my post again: 8 team ACC; which for football means 7 conference games. Association with the Big East would merely help fill non-con slate and to offer a playoff-level game between the ACC and Big East champs at the end of their respective conference seasons. Not that dissimilar to the route the PAC 12 and Big 12(8) are exploring now.

But the ACC was already a 9 team league. FSU joined in 1991.

Biff has a great point as the SEC has the market cornered in games involving middling opponents that no one wants to see:
Kentucky v Missouri
Arkansas v Miss State
Vandy v Ole Miss
Tennessee v Auburn

Yawn

Biff has a great point as the SEC has the market cornered in games involving middling opponents that no one wants to see:
Kentucky v Missouri
Arkansas v Miss State
Vandy v Ole Miss
Tennessee v Auburn

Yawn

So true. And somehow you made your point without even mentioning USCe.

OU does one PPV per year as part of their T2 and T3 rights that are not part of the Fox Big XII deal. All the $ goes to OU. It's always against the shittiest non-conf team on the schedule.

Back