• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

So they didn't vote their personal interests then?

Look, no team has improved their odds of winning championships during this round of realignment. Some schools, like Texas, have significantly hurt their chances. I'm not so naïve to think that Clemson and FSU would reduce their chances of winning in exchange for more money.

per MarcRyanOnAir on Twitter and also tweeted by PFF:

"Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

The SEC is concerned that streaming numbers for Clemson+Florida State don't bring what Oklahoma+Texas do."

Notre Dame is the only "free agent" left that would "add to the pot."

This guy is a nobody. Multiple somebodies already said there is absolutely zero truth to this.

per MarcRyanOnAir on Twitter and also tweeted by PFF:

"Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

The SEC is concerned that streaming numbers for Clemson+Florida State don't bring what Oklahoma+Texas do."

Notre Dame is the only "free agent" left that would "add to the pot."

I think this is a Barstool Sports guy. I love Barstool but not for breaking stories about college football.

I think this is a Barstool Sports guy. I love Barstool but not for breaking stories about college football.

He’s a nobody on Greenville/Spartanburg radio that reports false inflammatory stuff all the time for attention. I think he basically got run out of Tampa for doing the same.

Eh, that's not in the Top 100 of the most repulsive shit they've posted. I stopped listening to PMT (which is one of the few decent, respectable things they do) and visiting Barstool after Portnoy doubled down on his racism by creating this gem in response to whistleblower claims about a toxic workplace culture:

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/barstool-sports-podcast-spells-n-word-1234696878/

That being said, not everyone associated with Barstool is garbage, however their CEO is human filth. And I refuse to give that bigot a dollar.

He’s a nobody on Greenville/Spartanburg radio that reports false inflammatory stuff all the time for attention. I think he basically got run out of Tampa for doing the same.

The last time there was a round of conference realignments there were tons of rumors and gossip floating around twitter and other social media about schools contacting other conferences, the ACC was breaking up because various schools were in secret talks with the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, etc. Some of it may have been true, but a good deal of it was later shown to be false - bloggers and others just trying to stir the pot and get clicks, trusting info from bad sources and posting it without double checking, etc. I would be very skeptical of stories like this unless there are multiple sources reporting it and it includes some credible, trusted sites.

As to expansion, here's a good thread by David Hale explaining why Clemson, FSU, or anyone else isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Good news. We just have to worry about VT and UNC leaving instead.

Good news. We just have to worry about VT and UNC leaving instead.

One possible issue I've heard bandied about for UNC is whether the state legislature might try to tie NC State to UNC as a kind of package deal to leave the ACC - if you want UNC then you have to take State as well. I believe the VA legislature did that (or tried to) with UVA and Va Tech during the last round of conference realignments.

I’m sure if ESPN, Clemson, FSU and the SEC all wanted this to happen, they could finagle their way out of that.

Back