• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

With NIL, all teams should be paying players, not just the SEC. Let's see what happens now that the playing field is leveled a bit.

And yes, coaching matters which is why it is crazy to make these huge long term decisions re conference affiliation based on coaching careers. The ACC added Miami to capture the great rivalry of the 1990;s: Miami vs FSU. How did that work out? Saban could catch Covid and die in a month. Then how good is Alabama and the SEC?

I don't think NIL is going to level the playing field much. More of the same thing

Yep, Swofford screwed that one up on the way out of the door. ACC lost the leverage it had last year letting Notre Dame play as a conference member for one year. Since everyone else went to conference only games, the ACC should've told Notre Dame either join as a full member or we are doing conference only too during COVID. Notre Dame wouldn't have had a schedule to play without the ACC folding to them.

Agree. The ACC had the leverage last year and didn’t use it.

If I’m Jim Phillips, I’m telling Notre Dame that now is the time to join the ACC. Hopefully 2021 is a great year for the power schools (FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, as much as we all hate it) so the conference has more leverage. If Notre Dame chooses to stay independent, make it clear the ACC will never merge or stop fighting until they have joined the conference between now and 2034. And the longer they take to join, the more likely the ACC could decrease in value.

Make Notre Dame join in fear of the conference eventually becoming a complete disaster with a bunch of teams that don’t bring value to Notre Dame (Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, etc.).

We have a good conference. We’ve had a couple of tough years in football due to some coaching changes/rebuilds. But I believe in almost all of the coaches, AD’s, and commissioner now more than ever before. We are in a good spot to have a 2016 type football season. l hope that will propel negotiations with Notre Dame.

If I recall correctly, not too long ago Texas threatened a move to the SEC when the Big 12 made a stink over Texas's independent TV contract. The conference allowed Texas to keep its money, not sharing with the others, and that, again if I recall correctly, was when A&M and Missouri began their move to the SEC. Would a similar deal with Notre Dame be enough to lure them into full membership? Contractually, they can't join another conference, at least for a while. If the SEC allows Texas to keep its TV deal, I suspect it won't be long before Alabama insists on the same right, along with possibly Georgia and Florida. How would the other SEC teams feel about that? Just curious.

Yeah, those other schools didn’t vote Texas in because they expect them to take conference titles. They were invited because there are a lot of people willing to spend a lot of money to watch them try.

This is correct. The quality of the team barely matters in SEC football. MS State fan are just as rabid about their team as anybody after years and years of being just ok by SEC standards. The fans still spend a ton of money, regardless.

This is correct. The quality of the team barely matters in SEC football. MS State fan are just as rabid about their team as anybody after years and years of being just ok by SEC standards. The fans still spend a ton of money, regardless.

To be fair, that’s not an SEC thing, that’s an expansion thing. Pac 12 added Colorado, Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland, and ACC added Syracuse and Pitt.

If I recall correctly, not too long ago Texas threatened a move to the SEC when the Big 12 made a stink over Texas's independent TV contract. The conference allowed Texas to keep its money, not sharing with the others, and that, again if I recall correctly, was when A&M and Missouri began their move to the SEC. Would a similar deal with Notre Dame be enough to lure them into full membership? Contractually, they can't join another conference, at least for a while. If the SEC allows Texas to keep its TV deal, I suspect it won't be long before Alabama insists on the same right, along with possibly Georgia and Florida. How would the other SEC teams feel about that? Just curious.

I don’t think this warrants bringing ND in. We won’t get to renegotiate our TV deal because nothing will have changed.

To be fair, that’s not an SEC thing, that’s an expansion thing. Pac 12 added Colorado, Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland, and ACC added Syracuse and Pitt.

But those schools do not have rabid fanbases. They barely care.

In all the coverage I've read in the last week or two, very little has been said about the Texas special TV deal. Is it just assumed they'll give it up as part of SEC move (and since SEC is all ESPN now they can just rebrand Longhorn Network as SEC Network 2??), or are we due for a little more drama as they actually work out the details of adding an over-entitled teenager to the conference?

In all the coverage I've read in the last week or two, very little has been said about the Texas special TV deal. Is it just assumed they'll give it up as part of SEC move (and since SEC is all ESPN now they can just rebrand Longhorn Network as SEC Network 2??), or are we due for a little more drama as they actually work out the details of adding an over-entitled teenager to the conference?

I can't imagine any of the existing SEC teams voting for Texas with the existing Longhorn Network continuing. It will become part of the SEC Network without any separate "Longhorn" brand. Option 1: SEC replaces Longhorn in channel lineups. Option2: Longhorn becomes "SEC2" or "SEC Extra."

MS State fans are not that rabid. Either that or they're just pretty broke. They travel poorly and their home attendance isn't great either.

Also as a reminder: Maine over Miss St was a classic D1-AA over SEC upset. https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/242620344

Miss State fans are smart enough to use the cowbell to amplify themselves.

per MarcRyanOnAir on Twitter and also tweeted by PFF:

"Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

The SEC is concerned that streaming numbers for Clemson+Florida State don't bring what Oklahoma+Texas do."

Notre Dame is the only "free agent" left that would "add to the pot."

"Per a reliable source, Clemson+Florida State have reached out to the SEC about joining the conference.

Maybe now we can win the Atlantic.

Maybe now we can win the Atlantic.

I have to think Clemson would have to show massive profit benefits to even be given a look. Saban is no spring chicken while Dabo is relatively young, so SEC would not like inviting Clemson to have them be top dog right out of gate or at worst lessening chance of every other team to win SEC.

I have to think Clemson would have to show massive profit benefits to even be given a look. Saban is no spring chicken while Dabo is relatively young, so SEC would not like inviting Clemson to have them be top dog right out of gate or at worst lessening chance of every other team to win SEC.

It has nothing to do with winning. It is about money. That is all.

Vandy is all but guaranteed to never win the SEC. They aren't leaving. Because money.

It has nothing to do with winning. It is about money. That is all.

Vandy is all but guaranteed to never win the SEC. They aren't leaving. Because money.

In general yes but individual teams will also vote their personal interests as you see with A&M against UT despite large money. Think that gets amplified by a team that has been top 2 the last 5-6 years.

In general yes but individual teams will also vote their personal interests as you see with A&M against UT despite large money. Think that gets amplified by a team that has been top 2 the last 5-6 years.

How did A&M vote?

Back