• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

If I’m Jim Phillips, I’m telling Notre Dame that now is the time to join the ACC. Hopefully 2021 is a great year for the power schools (FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, as much as we all hate it) so the conference has more leverage. If Notre Dame chooses to stay independent, make it clear the ACC will never merge or stop fighting until they have joined the conference between now and 2034. And the longer they take to join, the more likely the ACC could decrease in value.

Make Notre Dame join in fear of the conference eventually becoming a complete disaster with a bunch of teams that don’t bring value to Notre Dame (Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, etc.).

We have a good conference. We’ve had a couple of tough years in football due to some coaching changes/rebuilds. But I believe in almost all of the coaches, AD’s, and commissioner now more than ever before. We are in a good spot to have a 2016 type football season. l hope that will propel negotiations with Notre Dame.

ACC-PAC

Ackpack

Just call it the Coastal Conference.

The football championship alternates between New York and LA and matches up the top team from each coast.

Basketball tournament also alternates between the coasts, and involves the top 4 teams from each coast, with a mini tournament on each coast to determine the top 8 teams.

Just call it the Coastal Conference.

The football championship alternates between New York and LA and matches up the top team from each coast.

Basketball tournament also alternates between the coasts, and involves the top 4 teams from each coast, with a mini tournament on each coast to determine the top 8 teams.

As much as I hate the idea of the two conferences merging, a rotating conference championship in Vegas and Miami would be way more fun.

As much as I hate the idea of the two conferences merging, a rotating conference championship in Vegas and Miami would be way more fun.

The big question in all of this merger talks is whether the new larger group would get enough TV money for every team involved to get a bigger payout.

I don't see a bicoastal conference generating $40+ million per school for 26 schools.

The big question in all of this merger talks is whether the new larger group would get enough TV money for every team involved to get a bigger payout.

I don't see a bicoastal conference generating $40+ million per school for 26 schools.

THIS !

Good call.

Imagine the takes from Biff, Donnie Greensboro, etc. if the basketball championship rotated between Miami, Vegas, and Greensboro.

Good god, could you imagine bringing in the west coast media to cover a conference basketball tournament in Greensboro ? Their hot takes would put the Triad back 30 years (which would be back to approximately 1955).

SEC has voted to admit Texas and OU. That didn't take long. It's almost as if this deal has been in the works for quite awhile.

ESPN denies wrongdoing. Tells Bob to suck it.

E7fMTBDXEAI8g1v

That letter is worded very interestingly. Instead of forcefully denying the allegations, they just claim that they haven't engaged in any "wrongful conduct" and dispute his "vague allegations." Not exactly a ringing defense. Even if the Big 12 Commissioner has evidence, though, I doubt he could do much with it. That conference is as dead as a doornail, ESPN interference or no.

If I’m Jim Phillips, I’m telling Notre Dame that now is the time to join the ACC. Hopefully 2021 is a great year for the power schools (FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, as much as we all hate it) so the conference has more leverage. If Notre Dame chooses to stay independent, make it clear the ACC will never merge or stop fighting until they have joined the conference between now and 2034. And the longer they take to join, the more likely the ACC could decrease in value.

Make Notre Dame join in fear of the conference eventually becoming a complete disaster with a bunch of teams that don’t bring value to Notre Dame (Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, etc.).

We have a good conference. We’ve had a couple of tough years in football due to some coaching changes/rebuilds. But I believe in almost all of the coaches, AD’s, and commissioner now more than ever before. We are in a good spot to have a 2016 type football season. l hope that will propel negotiations with Notre Dame.

This. Time for ND to make the big splash announcement that they are all in now with the ACC.

Such it SEC!

Notre Dame isn't fully joining the ACC. That's a fantasy. ND has more leverage over the ACC than vice versa.

Ouch.

This has been my read since the announcement.
I doubt that Texas will ever compete for a SEC title.

Texas averaged 7 wins a season in the Big XII that last 11 years, my hot take is that they will be a .500 in the SEC

Back