• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Doesn’t matter. Got paid.

The money will be great, but yes, it will matter as Texas football continues to stumble along in perpetual mediocrity.

Maryland got paid too. How has it helped either their athletic department as a whole or their revenue sports? Maryland football was at least an occasional factor in the ACC; they are the definition of an irrelevant football program in the Big 10. Maryland basketball was a big deal in the ACC. A couple of final 4s, a Natty, lots of intense rivalries. Maryland has now played 7 seasons in the Big 10, what has been their signature moment since changing conferences? I live in the DC area and follow the program, and I can't think of one. As for the money, just before Maryland left the ACC, they cut a bunch of non-revenue sports because of budget shortfalls. One of the stated factors for leaving the ACC for the Big 10 was to allow Maryland to fund their non-revenues sports, and bring some sports back. Seven years later, we are still waiting.

So, yes, "got paid" is a cute statement, but the idea that money makes everything better doesn't always workout at that way. Congrats to Texas and Oklahoma for joining the SEC and getting paid. We shall see if in 10 years their football (and basketball) programs become more relevant. Doubt it. No chance that OU gets to the Football Final 4 as often in the SEC. We shall also see if the non-revenue sports at those schools suddenly get an influx of spending. Doubt that too. Instead, all of the extra money will be channeled back into Texas' and OU's bloated football budgets and facilities with out a return in those investments. Texas and OU "got paid" to just be another SEC football program... congrats. (and even so, I understand that every other jilted Big 12 program would cut their nuts off for the same invite).

Texas has way too much ego to be happy in the SEC. They like being a big fish in small Big 12 pond. They won't like being a small fish in the SEC. Does anyone seeing Texas suddenly becoming humble?

Conference Expansion: Texas & Oklahoma to the SEC?

Pilch, your post explains why it doesn’t matter.

Is Maryland clamoring to get back to the ACC? No. Are Texas fans against this move? No. Do you think the AAC could recruit Texas by telling them they could win more? No.

Pilch, your post explains why it doesn’t matter.

Is Maryland clamoring to get back to the ACC? No. Are Texas fans against this move? No. Do you think the AAC could recruit Texas by telling them they could win more? No.

The majority of Maryland fans would prefer if Maryland was back in the ACC. Maryland football and basketball would be in a better place if they were in the ACC.

Money seduces, but it doesn't always lead to a better place.

Texas has way too much ego to be happy in the SEC. They like being a big fish in small Big 12 pond. They won't like being a small fish in the SEC. Does anyone seeing Texas suddenly becoming humble?

Sure the money will be sweet but how long are the boosters going to stay quiet when they keep finishing 6-6 in the SEC.
this is why I think Clemson stays in the ACC. Big fish in small pond, easier path to the CFP. Let the sec slug it out

I thought Texas had it's own TV contract/network that made it a lot of money that it didn't share with the Big 12. Is that true? If it is, how does that work in the SEC?

Couple of things.

UT is no Maryland. UT has all the $ it needs. Will they win big in the SEC? Maybe not. Was it a no-brainer move? Yes. I haven't had one UT fan under 80 tell me otherwise, and I am surrounded by them.

OU on the other hand can definitely hang in the SEC or anywhere else. Will OU have a tougher conference schedule, sure. Will it matter after the SEC controls 80% of the college football that matters? Not really.

I for one look forward to 10pm kickoffs at Wazzu and Arizona

Couple of things.

UT is no Maryland. UT has all the $ it needs. Will they win big in the SEC? Maybe not. Was it a no-brainer move? Yes. I haven't had one UT fan under 80 tell me otherwise, and I am surrounded by them.

OU on the other hand can definitely hang in the SEC or anywhere else. Will OU have a tougher conference schedule, sure. Will it matter after the SEC controls 80% of the college football that matters? Not really.

Texas hasn’t won big in the Big 12.

Yep, Swofford screwed that one up on the way out of the door. ACC lost the leverage it had last year letting Notre Dame play as a conference member for one year. Since everyone else went to conference only games, the ACC should've told Notre Dame either join as a full member or we are doing conference only too during COVID. Notre Dame wouldn't have had a schedule to play without the ACC folding to them.

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Yeah, those other schools didn’t vote Texas in because they expect them to take conference titles. They were invited because there are a lot of people willing to spend a lot of money to watch them try.

There are states that are SEC market only. States that are ACC only. Some states serve both. As population goes I have it SEC 80 million butts to advertise to. ACC 83 million butts. That's with Texas and Oklahoma added. Does not count ND. Shows how bad Swofford fucked up. We had them swamped til Texas and made less money. And we still have more butts.

There are states that are SEC market only. States that are ACC only. Some states serve both. As population goes I have it SEC 80 million butts to advertise to. ACC 83 million butts. That's with Texas and Oklahoma added. Does not count ND. Shows how bad Swofford fucked up. We had them swamped til Texas and made less money. And we still have more butts.

If no one is watching your games they’re not being marketed to. People in NYC are not watch Syracuse football.

There is a large difference between population in a footprint and actual eyeballs on TV screens. People in SEC country were raised on SEC football. Almost everybody went to or knows somebody who went to an SEC school. Also, the NFL is recent to the south and still doesn't exist in many southern states.

That is not the case in Northernbig cities. NFL teams have ben prominent for a very long time. College football has only had moments of prominence in the northeast and middle Atlantic states where the bulk of the ACC population lives.

The money will be great, but yes, it will matter as Texas football continues to stumble along in perpetual mediocrity.

Maryland got paid too. How has it helped either their athletic department as a whole or their revenue sports? Maryland football was at least an occasional factor in the ACC; they are the definition of an irrelevant football program in the Big 10. Maryland basketball was a big deal in the ACC. A couple of final 4s, a Natty, lots of intense rivalries. Maryland has now played 7 seasons in the Big 10, what has been their signature moment since changing conferences? I live in the DC area and follow the program, and I can't think of one. As for the money, just before Maryland left the ACC, they cut a bunch of non-revenue sports because of budget shortfalls. One of the stated factors for leaving the ACC for the Big 10 was to allow Maryland to fund their non-revenues sports, and bring some sports back. Seven years later, we are still waiting.

So, yes, "got paid" is a cute statement, but the idea that money makes everything better doesn't always workout at that way. Congrats to Texas and Oklahoma for joining the SEC and getting paid. We shall see if in 10 years their football (and basketball) programs become more relevant. Doubt it. No chance that OU gets to the Football Final 4 as often in the SEC. We shall also see if the non-revenue sports at those schools suddenly get an influx of spending. Doubt that too. Instead, all of the extra money will be channeled back into Texas' and OU's bloated football budgets and facilities with out a return in those investments. Texas and OU "got paid" to just be another SEC football program... congrats. (and even so, I understand that every other jilted Big 12 program would cut their nuts off for the same invite).

Coaching means a lot. Maryland outside of Lefty and Gary Williams hasn't done a whole lot, and even Gary only had a couple of peak seasons. The same can be said for Texas. Outside of Royal and Mack Brown, they've had a lot of mediocre coaches. The talent is there in the state, but the coaching hasn't been there (and Mack's real prowess was in recruiting, not so much in X's and O's). Both aTm and Mizzou were mostly mediocre in their time in the Big XII and have been mostly mediocre in the SEC. There is no reason to think that won't translate for both OU and TX. OU will compete for titles and TX will compete in some years and pull off some upsets. Also, one would expect aTm's recruiting to fall off a tad, but we are about to see how overt and open $ for recruits plays out. It could be enough to completely flip a program like Texas (though I think Sark is yet another mediocre hire), as they have virtually unlimited resources.

I'm not happy with the direction CFB has taken, but it has gone down its path and this was pretty much a no-brainer decision by OU and TX. It puts you in the lifeboat with the rich folks while the steerage in the rest of your conference sinks to the bottom of the CFB sea.

Back