• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Let it be known that jhmd advocates for unearned handouts and not a meritocracy that rewards hard work and success.
You think Clemson, Florida State and North Carolina aren't pulling their weight? Tell me more.

Florida State and UNC have proven themselves to be solid middle of the pack conference teams over the last decade. That is nothing to sneeze at! They’ve avoided the basement of the conference. I’m very happy for them.

Because you're getting something in return you don't already have, which is a chance at long term survival.
Something noticably absent from your plan
I just ran some scenarios.

Your plan has a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000% chance of working

Just trying to catch up after being tied up all day. The only real question I have is that if FSU, Clemson, and UNC ended up voting against this anyway, why the need to offer up performance-based revenue incentives unless that's what it took to reel in NCState's vote (but tiers, so why?). It seems like those were the only ones who were really bellyaching for an unequal distribution based on performance.

UNC finished in the basement twice in the last six years

Just trying to catch up after being tied up all day. The only real question I have is that if FSU, Clemson, and UNC ended up voting against this anyway, why the need to offer up performance-based revenue incentives unless that's what it took to reel in NCState's vote (but tiers, so why?). It seems like those were the only ones who were really bellyaching for an unequal distribution based on performance.
NC State has less ACCG appearances than Notre Dame and have less acc titles this century than the University of Maryland; two teams which aren't actually in the ACC. I hope they're not counting on performance based incentives.

If the AAC got a deal with Apple that would double current member payouts (from around $7M to $14M) and pay an ACC team on par with the SEC and Big Ten to join the AAC, do you think Clemson, FSU, or UNC would go for it?

Last edited:
If the AAC got a deal with Apple that would double current member payouts (from around $7M to $14M) and pay a P5 team on par with the SEC and Big Ten, do you think Clemson, FSU, or UNC would go for it?
UNC doesn't want to leave the ACC. They want to fix it.

NC State has less ACCG appearances than Notre Dame and have less acc titles this century than the University of Maryland; two teams which aren't actually in the ACC. I hope they're not counting on performance based incentives.
Right. So, what got State to flip and why placate the asshole schools?

FSU wants out and they're willing to pay their way out. SEC neither wants them nor needs them, at least not prior to 2036. If they could have broken the GOR they already would have.

There's only one option for FSU: negotiate in the short term to get more to close the gap with the teams from the SEC/Big 10.

Wake has the other goal: stay in a good conference as long as possible and compete. Wake has that through 2036 already In hand. If they (and all the other private schools) gave up a little they could ask for an extension of the GOR for ten more years.

The big schools have something the smaller schools want and vice versa. I think Wake could take little less in the short term in exchange for buying more time on the back end.

"More small schools!" Doesn't give Wake something it currently lacks. FSU missed the window to file their notice to withdraw for this year and next two weeks ago.
I am not convinced

When you had the option to do the same thing and have that plan actually sustainable, you should have done that. Truthfully, the way to save the ACC long-term was contraction, rather than expansion. Focus the value on the teams that actually deliver it and the league survives. This just make the undesirable outcome the most probable. Way too little, way too late.
I’m sure someone has said this, but are you slow? Who do you think the contraction would have been? This is possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen on these boards.

I’m sure someone has said this, but are you slow? Who do you think the contraction would have been? This is possibly the worst take I’ve ever seen on these boards.
Why do you think the Big 10 and SEC have bigger tv deals?

Back