• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Their desire didn't change.

Their defense of that desire most definitely changed yesterday. If you genuinely don't think an undefeated FSU's exclusion doesn't reflect badly on the ACC and thereby add fuel to the already smoldering fire, we'll have to agree to disagree (throwback to the days of yore). The reasons why FSU was left out don't matter. An undefeated ACC team did not get in. Instead a second SEC (going forward) team and a second B10 (going forward) team, each with a loss, did.
Here is the question - if an undefeated SEC or B12 team's starting QB was injured two games before the regular season's end, would that team have been left out of the playoff under the theory it is no longer one of the top 4?

FSU desperately wants out of the ACC if they can get to the SEC (or Big 10); that didn’t change because of yesterday

Correct - FSU could leave the conference by 5pm today as long as they cut a big enough check, hand over media rights, and have a committable offer from the SEC or B10.

None of this changed on Sunday at 12:35pm EST.

On the other hand, if the committee is sec biased, a loss to a sec school should be more respectable.

FSU down a qb and being an acc school is what unfairly doomed them.

On the other hand, if the committee is sec biased, a loss to a sec school should be more respectable.

FSU down a qb and being an acc school is what unfairly doomed them.
KY only gets claimed by the SEC during basketball season. Vandy is the school they use to claim the SEC members are actual universities.

Trash the ACC. Get left out because you beat nobody in a trash ACC.

Unfortunately, this. f$u, tsk, tsk.

Actually, with 11 bowl eligible teams the ACC was competitive.

Didn't hear King Saban trashing the sec (and its losing overall record vs the ACC) at anytime before the Committee's meeting.

Hmmmm....

Here is the question - if an undefeated SEC or B12 team's starting QB was injured two games before the regular season's end, would that team have been left out of the playoff under the theory it is no longer one of the top 4?
Do you mean B1G or B-12? Let's take a B1G example from this year. If Michigan beats Ohio St then beats Iowa 12-6 in a bad game, and McCarthy goes down for the year in that game. And his back-up sucks in that game, and Travis is healthy on an undefeated FSU. Especially when you consider how weak Michigan's schedule was, then yes, I can envision the final 4 being Wash, FSU, Texas and Bama. And frankly, I think the NCAA would have enjoyed listening to Harbaugh wail and gnash his teeth. With the B-12, that's obviously even easier to envision. SEC, that's really hard to envision. And obviouisly, had Washington won, but Penix went down for the year in the title game, I can see them being similarly excluded. I don't believe what the NCAA did was because the team without a QB was an ACC team. It's because they didn't want any of the 3 final 4 games resembling last year's title game.

Next year resolves the issue - who cares if the #13 team is crying. The question moving forward will be if the NCAA gives any deference to any undefeated non-power 4 conferences. I'd hope they do because who really cares about including a 4th place power 4 school.

It's top 5 conference champs so an undefeated G5 champ will get in unless it's UConn who I think will still be independent.

There will certainly be debate about the #13 team, especially if a 1 or 2-loss ACC or Big XII runner-up gets left out in favor of the #4 or 5 SEC or Big Ten team. And I think the CFP will determine byes by ranking #1 to #4 so the #5 and #6 team will take issue with the rankings.

They could clear up a lot of controversy by declaring the top 4 conference champs get a bye.

It's top 5 conference champs so an undefeated G5 champ will get in unless it's UConn who I think will still be independent.

There will certainly be debate about the #13 team, especially if a 1 or 2-loss ACC or Big XII runner-up gets left out in favor of the #4 or 5 SEC or Big Ten team. And I think the CFP will determine byes by ranking #1 to #4 so the #5 and #6 team will take issue with the rankings.

They could clear up a lot of controversy by declaring the top 4 conference champs get a bye.
I think the power 4 champs should definitely get in, but I wouldn't necessarily seed them in the top 4 and give them a bye. You could have a 3 loss team upsetting a favorite in the conference title game, and that 3 loss team wouldn't be 1 of the 4 best teams. Take this year as an example had we started the 12 team playoff this year. Had Iowa or Okie St won their conference title games, would you want to have given them a top 4 seed and a bye?

They've already done this. Now, whether or not this sticks now that the Pac-12 is no more remains to be seen, but in order to get a bye under the currently-proposed rules, you have to be a conference champ (which is why Notre Dame will never enter the playoff higher than the 5th seed).

I think the power 4 champs should definitely get in, but I wouldn't necessarily seed them in the top 4 and give them a bye. You could have a 3 loss team upsetting a favorite in the conference title game, and that 3 loss team wouldn't be 1 of the 4 best teams. Take this year as an example had we started the 12 team playoff this year. Had Iowa or Okie St won their conference title games, would you want to have given them a top 4 seed and a bye?
This year, it would have only mattered if BOTH of them won, as there would have been at least 3 other more worthy conference champs to take up 3 of the 4 bye spots. With a Power-5 league going away after this year, it remains to be seen if that rule about being a conference champ will still be required to receive a bye (I'm sure the SEC and Big10 are currently working hard behind the scenes to abolish that rule).

Pretty simple. If you win your conference championship, you shouldn't have to play in the next game and advance to the quarters.

Pretty simple. If you win your conference championship, you shouldn't have to play in the next game and advance to the quarters.

So if Okie State beats TX, they get a de facto 4 seed? That seems ridiculous. Just seed them like you normally would.

Unless you are a Group of Six conference champion.

I wholeheartedly believe that FSU was punished for Louisville's loss to Kentucky.

FSU was punished because UGA lost.

1000% chance they are the 4 seed against UGA if UGA wins.

They just didn't have the balls to leave out an SEC team. The Texas win against Alabama derailed everything, so they just said fuck it and decided they'd rather deal with the wrath of FSU fans rather than an entire weird-ass conference.

Back