• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

My son, aged 12, claims to be a huge sports fan (and seems to be similar to his buddies as sports fans). It is hard (nearly impossible) to get them to watch a full game of any sport. They’d rather be on phones, video games, etc. and simply cannot stand commercials, halftimes, or the like. Cannot keep their attention. They will check scores during games but won’t sit and watch from start to finish unless I am also watching, and even then it’s a struggle.

I get that live sports is the one thing that my generation really still watches that has commercials, but the next generation is not gonna watch any of that shit. Red Zone channel, maybe. Highlights maybe. But not whole games. At least not nearly in the numbers of the folks currently 35 and older. Maybe soccer, which doesn’t have commercial breaks, but the additional commercials they’ve added to college football makes it tough for me to stomach, much less kids.

The point being, I don’t see live sports being even a fraction as “valuable” in 15 years. The money will dry up. The pay gap will close by the time the GoR expires, assuming there is still an ACC and/or revenue college sports at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son, aged 12, claims to be a huge sports fan (and seems to be similar to his buddies as sports fans). It is hard (nearly impossible) to get them to watch a full game of any sport. They’d rather be on phones, video games, etc. and simply cannot stand commercials, halftimes, or the like. Cannot keep their attention. They will check scores during games but won’t sit and watch from start to finish unless I am also watching, and even then it’s a struggle.

I get that live sports is the one thing that my generation really still watches that has commercials, but the next generation is not gonna watch any of that shit. Red Zone channel, maybe. Highlights maybe. But not whole games. At least not nearly in the numbers of the folks currently 35 and older. Maybe soccer, which doesn’t have commercial breaks, but the additional commercials they’ve added to college football makes it tough for me to stomach, much less kids.

The point being, I don’t see live sports being even a fraction as “valuable” in 15 years. The money will dry up. The pay gap will close by the time the GoR expires, assuming there is still an ACC and/or revenue college sports at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My son is 18 and loves Wake sports as long as they aren’t playing his school. He also watches the NBA, NFL and MLB religiously.

My son is 18 and loves Wake sports as long as they aren’t playing his school. He also watches the NBA, NFL and MLB religiously.
It’s pretty well documented my 11 and 9 year old are the same, but I actually think it’s a good point. People are amazed that my kids watch full games, follow stats, etc. it’s not the same must see TV it once was. Just catch up on your phone. Watch a highlight.

FSU had a string of 13 consecutive years ranked #4 or better in the final AP poll - 5 before joining the ACC, and 8 to start their ACC tenure. They won their first, second and third national championships as members of the ACC.

ACC membership has worked out ok for FSU.

The first 2 titles would have happened regardless of what conference they were in- or even if they were in a conference. There was so many talent in Florida in the 90's and early 2000's and it was staying home. Bobby Bowden was in his prime and you could still win on talent and talent alone. I'll give you by 2013- you had to be a in conference but if they had joined Big East vs. ACC- they likely get to the same place. No way Clemson has the rise they had really unless ACC was already on the map because of FSU and somewhat VT's success. Miami never brought the success to the conference everyone thought. In fact, since joining the ACC in 2004, they've only had one 10-win season (Mark Richt in 2017), LoWF has had more (2).

And check the first response for the national ratings. So UNC and UVA are valuable?

Also, this still includes a 0 for games on ACCN.

Meaning what - those numbers are based only on games on networks other than ACCN?
No. It means ACCN counts as 0 in the average. So if you have 12 TV games and 6 are on ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU and get 1 million viewers each and your rest are on ACCN, you count as 6 million viewers total for an average of 500K.

It would be much better if ACCN games didn't count at all because people report these flawed numbers like they're gospel.

So it looks like the following games had a total of ~5,557,600 viewers:

@ODU (ESPN2)
GT (CW)
FSU (ABC)
@Duke (ESPN)
State (CW)
@ND (NBC/Peacock)
@Cuse (CW)

So we averaged around ~800K.

Last edited:
Meaning what - those numbers are based only on games on networks other than ACCN?
Here is the source data.

I haven’t done through it, but I assume WF totaled 5.58 million for however many games actually had ratings. Games with no ratings are counted as zeros.

ETA: yes, WF had 5.58 million viewers for the 7 games that were measured by Nielsen. Unknown for the 7 others. The mental giants who create those “averages” on social media divide that total by 12 games.

Also: NC State had two Friday night games on ESPN as basically the only game on. Drew 3.4 million viewers for those games. Friday games are bad for fans but good for TV numbers.

Last edited:
That's the start of a good idea.

Put that dude in charge. It is so stupid simple but the people in charge are too simple and scared so they keep looking down following the dollar immediately in front of them that they can’t look up and plan for the big picture. So friggin stupid. Somebody make an argument against that.

Y'all like the idea because he said 64 teams and you figure Wake will make the cut. But there are 69 P5 teams next season including: ND, UConn, UMass, Oregon State, and Washington State.

Back