• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

At what point do we stop accepting 6 wins as a good or successful season? Or is it just that as Wake Forest this should be good enough?

Anything other than 8 wins to me is average at best and shouldn’t be rewarded or celebrated

During our vaunted 7-season bowl streak, we averaged 3.9 conference wins per season. in six of those seasons we only won 3 or 4 conference games. Without the outlier 7-conference win season in 2021, we averaged 3.33 conference wins per bowl season.

At what point do we stop accepting 6 wins as a good or successful season? Or is it just that as Wake Forest this should be good enough?

Anything other than 8 wins to me is average at best and shouldn’t be rewarded or celebrated
You’re looking at this in such an old school way. Why can’t we just be happy that there is more football? It doesn’t have to be any deeper than that.

During our vaunted 7-season bowl streak, we averaged 3.9 conference wins per season. in six of those seasons we only won 3 or 4 conference games. Without the outlier 7-conference win season in 2021, we averaged 3.33 conference wins per bowl season.
So….why do we celebrate this level of mediocrity? Because Wake Forest can’t ever be better than that?

It’s not a wake forest thing. Most every fan base in the country (outside of 15-20 blue bloods) is happy to make a bowl.

I think we need to stop punishing bad teams by not allowing them to practice after the season. They need the practice. Vandy should get an exhibition game every December against Rice or BC or somebody. Play it at either team's home field. Then we can stop hearing about how valuable those extra practices are for a bunch of 6-win teams compared to a 5-win team. Wake could play at Williams-Brice on 12/20.

Either we’re watching our team play one more game, or some other fanbase is watching theirs. Why wouldn’t we want it to be ours?

I get that bowls are easier to earn now. But they were so rare for the Deacs for decades that I can’t imagine ever taking one for granted.

We like analyzing stuff. It’s sixty more glorious minutes of football for us to praise, pick apart, question, etc while we wait for bubble-based basketball to return.

Plus I’ve always perceived that our guys truly love being at the bowls, and winning one is actually thrilling for them. The electricity at the Belk Bowl vs aTm in the final drive was palpable.

Sheesh, if nothing else, watch a Wale bowl for the uniform intrigue!

But trying - over and over - to convince anyone here, who wants to see us make a bowl, that bowls are a waste of time, is a waste of time.

Because you play sports to win championships. Bowl games have become participation trophies.
In college football most teams are not playing to win the actual championship. Most teams are not even playing to win a conference championship. It’s just the nature of the sport. You play to be the best team that you can be that year.

I’m not trying to convince anyone. I state my feelings and for some reason people choose to dispute it. At which point I explain.

And I don’t care if Wake goes or not. Have fun in Birmingham. That’s great. But don’t delude yourselves that it’s an accomplishment or a sign of a good season.

Either we’re watching our team play one more game, or some other fanbase is watching theirs. Why wouldn’t we want it to be ours?

I get that bowls are easier to earn now. But they were so rare for the Deacs for decades that I can’t imagine ever taking one for granted.

We like analyzing stuff. It’s sixty more glorious minutes of football for us to praise, pick apart, question, etc while we wait for bubble-based basketball to return.

Plus I’ve always perceived that our guys truly love being at the bowls, and winning one is actually thrilling for them. The electricity at the Belk Bowl vs aTm in the final drive was palpable.

Sheesh, if nothing else, watch a Wale bowl for the uniform intrigue!

But trying - over and over - to convince anyone here, who wants to see us make a bowl, that bowls are a waste of time, is a waste of time.

Did you see the Wake v NC State game this year ? The team knew they probably needed to win that game to get to 6 wins and go to a bowl game, and they mailed it in.

In college football most teams are not playing to win the actual championship. Most teams are not even playing to win a conference championship. It’s just the nature of the sport. You play to be the best team that you can be that year.
Ok. Let’s shoot for a winning conference record before we crow about Bowl Games then. That seems reasonable.

Btw, let’s be completely honest. Even the CFP are exhibitions. They are chosen by some committee of randos. We still don’t even have a way to get a real national champion.

Ok. Let’s shoot for a winning conference record before we crow about Bowl Games then. That seems reasonable.
Been a Wake fan for almost 50 years, and in most years "success" has been defined by making a bowl, and in most of those years making a bowl was based on going 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play and then at minimum 3-1 against a pretty mediocre non-conference schedule. That's who we have been for over 50 years and best I can tell who will be going forward; the next Nick Saban could come in and change that, but he'd be gone by Year 3.
And I totally get why you and thousands of others are not mildly interested in our making some insignificant bowl (otherwise, we'd average 50K at our home games), but if I'm going to continue to buy season tickets every year and drag my carcass to the stadium, I at least want to have some mild interest in the outcomes most years after mid-October. I don't think any of us "crow" about making bowls or are necessarily "satisfied" by them in a given year(based on expectations going in to 2022, I was not "satisfied" with the Gasparilla Bowl) , but we appreciate them.

Been a Wake fan for almost 50 years, and in most years "success" has been defined by making a bowl, and in most of those years making a bowl was based on going 3-5 or 4-4 in conference play and then at minimum 3-1 against a pretty mediocre non-conference schedule. That's who we have been for over 50 years and best I can tell who will be going forward; the next Nick Saban could come in and change that, but he'd be gone by Year 3.
And I totally get why you and thousands of others are not mildly interested in our making some insignificant bowl (otherwise, we'd average 50K at our home games), but if I'm going to continue to buy season tickets every year and drag my carcass to the stadium, I at least want to have some mild interest in the outcomes most years after mid-October. I don't think any of us "crow" about making bowls or are necessarily "satisfied" by them in a given year(based on expectations going in to 2022, I was not "satisfied" with the Gasparilla Bowl) , but we appreciate them.
Yep, and we couldn’t even keep John Mackovic, who was one of our own.

Back