• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

You've got to think that there's going to be something in the revenue sharing plan that includes being rewarded for beating other P5 opponents in marquee games instead of loading up on Army.

My assumption is that the 8 schools simply want to form their own conference and then go from there. You inherently get better payouts when you cut the schools that are taking more than they give, such as Wake.

If I were those 8 schools (and cared more about money than athletes, rivals and fans) I would create an 8-team conference and enter talks to find the 8 additional best brands left (Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, maybe Oklahoma St, etc.) and create a 16 team league with an East and West. That would be way ahead of the B12 or any other possibility revenue wise assuming the SEC and B10 don't want these 8. That would create a legit power 3 imo. Can't call a conference with FSU, Oregon, Clemson, Washington, Miami, etc. not a major league.

How the fuck is $60million a year not enough money to run an athletic program where the players aren't paid?
It's all about what your neighbor is making. Clemson would be fine with the ACC revenues if S. Carolina was making the same, rather than $40 million more.

So the board complains nonstop about scheduling The Army so we can go to shitty bowl games, but I'm the bad guy.
But if we don't schedule Army to make the Spicy Chili Cheeto Bowl how would we know that Dave Clawson is the second coming of Christ????

The difference in OOC opponents between FSU and WF is stark. FSU has to be insisting that it be built in to a revenue arrangement.

I’m waiting for the day when a Big Ten Chancellor/President reminds the football coach who owns the brand and takes $30 million in TV money to build a new LAW building.

I’m waiting for the day when a Big Ten Chancellor/President reminds the football coach who owns the brand and takes $30 million in TV money to build a new LAW building.
The thing is nobody cares about the law building and the chancellor knows that. Alumni and their money care about football at these schools. That's why they get the government to pay for academics and the alumni pay for athletics.

Developing.

This is the short term play if they can’t get out and renegotiate as a new conference. Annoying that it can’t be renegotiated for another decade because it’ll create more and more animosity amongst members as schools like Cincinnati make more than FSU.

So which athletic departments would be more motivated under a new system than they are right now?

The "G-League" in any scenario is more likely to be remaining P5 conferences whose best players will transfer to the SEC, Big Ten, and ND but who will get the guys who can get on the field in those conferences. That's already happening to some extent but it will ramp up more if the NIL money grows like the TV money.

If the SEC and Big Ten are smart, they'll figure out a way to launder than TV money into NIL money.
Imo Cuse/BC are the two that come to mind, UVA in football would've been an easy answer given their facilities are... terrible.

The employee thing is something no one just has an answer to.

G-League/relegation is something that is an option, but in reality, the end goal very much just seems like being your P5 combines into 3 places and ends up being this 60+ team conglomerate that breaks away from the NCAA and making their own rules with players being employees and all that jazz, which would render NIL stuff useless given there'd be actual contracts.

You've got to think that there's going to be something in the revenue sharing plan that includes being rewarded for beating other P5 opponents in marquee games instead of loading up on Army.
If I had to guess it's probably somewhat align with finishing in conference, bowl game revenue(you're probably not getting to a high tier bowl solely by having a crappy OOC), and making NY6/CFP

So the board complains nonstop about scheduling The Army so we can go to shitty bowl games, but I'm the bad guy.
I’ll give you that one as I hate it too but it seems like you go out of your way to shit on Wake and the ACC because you happen to also root for the best team in country who is in the best conference.

Back