• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Seems like Stanford will get an invite to the B10 if they want it. They have more money than god and are just too important culturally and politically. B10 should want to take them even if it dilutes the cash a bit.

That "choice of law" thing with FSU seems plausible. They way I read it, FSU would bolt, the ACC would sue for the fee, FSU would argue that FL law governs, and in the meantime the FL legislature would write a law with retroactive effect saying FSU can't be held liable for breaching the GOR.
So states can void any contract signed by any state entity? Any business in the state?

Here are the only numbers that really matter:

Another college football regular season is in the books, so we have another year’s worth of TV viewership data to dig into.
Below, I’ve listed each school’s average game viewership for the regular season. And below that, I’ve listed every game that garnered at least 4 million viewers — a benchmark number in the eyes of TV networks.
As you peruse these lists, remember that TV viewership can be influenced by a whole bunch of factors, including game time, channel, competitiveness, and what other games are going on at the same time. Outliers can also sway averages, especially in a small sample size like this one.
Ranking the most-watched college football programs in 2022
The numbers next to each school indicate the average number of viewers per week for a 12-week season.
Streaming numbers are included when available. Games that do not have available data are counted as zero.
Ohio State — 5.80M
Alabama — 5.11M
Michigan — 4.37M
Tennessee — 4.13M
Georgia — 3.50M
Notre Dame — 3.30M
LSU — 3.22M
Texas — 3.06M
Penn State — 3.05M
Clemson — 2.59M
Florida — 2.57M
Oregon — 2.21M
TCU — 2.20M
Southern Cal — 2.07M
Florida State — 2.03M
Nebraska — 1.98M
Michigan State — 1.91M
Texas A&M — 1.87M
Maryland — 1.864M
Auburn — 1.863M
Arkansas — 1.80M
Mississippi — 1.753M
Oklahoma — 1.748M
Oklahoma State — 1.68M
UCLA — 1.591M
Wisconsin — 1.587M
Iowa — 1.50M
Kentucky — 1.35M
Baylor — 1.32M
Kansas State — 1.23M
Indiana — 1.19M
Illinois — 1.17M
Utah — 1.16M
Washington — 1.15M
Northwestern — 1.13M
Mississippi State — 1.10M
Minnesota — 1.05M
BYU — 997K
South Carolina — 990K
Navy — 976K
Washington State — 907K
Iowa State — 882K
NC State — 881K
Purdue -870K
California — 857K
North Carolina — 849K
Stanford — 846K
Syracuse — 841K
Georgia Tech — 837K
Missouri — 793K
West Virginia — 774K
Kansas — 732K
Army — 681K
Texas Tech — 680K
Cincinnati — 653K
Pittsburgh — 650K
Oregon State — 625K
Rutgers — 618K
Miami FL— 608K
Wake Forest — 523K
UCF — 510K
Arizona — 506K
Louisville — 496K
Colorado State — 386K
Tulane — 354K
Boise State — 353K
Colorado — 352.9K
Air Force — 326K
Utah State — 324K
Boston College — 322K
Arizona State — 314K
SMU — 312K
Toledo — 306K
East Carolina — 305K
Appalachian State — 298K
Virginia Tech — 264K
Marshall — 262K
Houston — 242K
Virginia — 237K
Fresno State — 220K
Ohio — 214K
Connecticut — 212K
San Diego State — 198K
Western Michigan — 174K
Memphis — 165K
Tulsa — 162K
Wyoming — 154K
Central Michigan — 130K
Georgia Southern — 125K
Nevada — 116.4K
Duke — 115.7K
UTEP — 102K
Temple — 92K
New Mexico State — 86K
South Florida — 80.8K
Coastal Carolina — 80.6K
Louisiana — 78K
UAB — 71K
Arkansas State — 69K
Buffalo — 67K
Bowling Green — 63K
Ball State — 61K
Kent State — 60K
Georgia State — 55K
San Jose State — 53K
Miami OH — 49K
Northern Illinois — 46K
Hawaii — 43K
Eastern Michigan — 33K
Akron — 31K
Old Dominion — 28K
Texas State — 18.4K
New Mexico — 17.5K
Southern Miss — 16K
Charlotte 14.8K
Western Kentucky — 13.8K
Florida Atlantic — 12K
Louisiana Tech — 10K
James Madison — 9K
The 2022 “4 million club”
Here are all of the games that broke 4 million viewers this season:
Michigan at Ohio State — 17.14M
Tennessee at Georgia — 13.06M
Alabama at Tennessee — 11.56M
Alabama at Texas — 10.60M
Notre Dame vs. Ohio State — 10.53M
Alabama at Mississippi — 8.71M
Ohio State at Penn State — 8.27M
Alabama at LSU — 7.58M
Florida State vs. LSU — 7.55M
Texas A&M at Alabama — 7.15M
Army vs. Navy — 6.94M
Florida at Florida State — 6.71M
Notre Dame at Southern Cal, 6.68M
Ohio State at Maryland — 6.60M
Penn State at Michigan — 6.45M
Auburn at Alabama — 6.27M
Oregon vs. Georgia — 6.20M
Alabama at Arkansas — 5.83M
Florida at Georgia — 5.62M
Michigan State at Michigan — 5.58M
Florida at Tennessee — 5.57M
Illinois at Michigan — 5.47M
TCU at Texas — 5.03M
NC State at Clemson — 4.98M
Tennessee at South Carolina — 4.87M
Clemson at Georgia Tech — 4.86M
Ohio State at Northwestern — 4.76M
Syracuse at Clemson — 4.75M
Wisconsin at Ohio State — 4.59M
Southern Cal at UCLA — 4.53M
Georgia at Kentucky — 4.48M
Tennessee at Pittsburgh — 4.46M
Texas at Oklahoma State — 4.46M
Ohio State at Michigan State — 4.44M
Nebraska vs. Northwestern — 4.42M
Maryland at Michigan — 4.38M
Iowa at Ohio State — 4.38M
TCU at Baylor — 4.35M
Iowa State at TCU — 4.34M
Kentucky at Florida — 4.33M
Auburn at Georgia — 4.24M
Michigan at Iowa — 4.20M
Penn State at Auburn — 4.05M
Kentucky at Tennessee — 4.04M
Michigan at Indiana — 4.01M
There were 39 teams that played in at least one game that cracked 4 million viewers:
8 — Ohio State
7 — Alabama, Michigan
6 — Tennessee
5 — Georgia
4 — Florida
3 — Auburn, Clemson, Kentucky, Penn State, TCU, Texas
2 — Florida State, Iowa, LSU, Maryland, Michigan State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Southern Cal
1 — Arkansas, Army, Baylor, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Mississippi, Navy, NC State, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Syracuse, Texas A&M, UCLA, Wisconsin
Looking for data from previous years? Here is 2021, and here is 2015–19.

At least we’re not Virginia tech?

Seems like Stanford will get an invite to the B10 if they want it. They have more money than god and are just too important culturally and politically. B10 should want to take them even if it dilutes the cash a bit.

That "choice of law" thing with FSU seems plausible. They way I read it, FSU would bolt, the ACC would sue for the fee, FSU would argue that FL law governs, and in the meantime the FL legislature would write a law with retroactive effect saying FSU can't be held liable for breaching the GOR.

Article I, Section 10 of the Florida Constitution would seem problematic to this strategy:

SECTION 10. Prohibited laws.—No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contracts shall be passed.
Link

Article I, Section 10 of the Florida Constitution would seem problematic to this strategy:

SECTION 10. Prohibited laws.—No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contracts shall be passed.
Link
good catch

ChatGPT, write a 500 word essay on why the Big 12 Conference should accept Utah.

Last edited:
I like to imagine the AD and some minions huddled around a computer filling out an application form and writing short essays on why they want to join the Big 12

A recent Supreme Court ruling said that while a conference cannot consider a prospective school's current conference identification, it can take into consideration that school's experiences, including conference, and how that experience has affected them.

Columnist Luke Decock on FL State and UNC's reaction to FSU's whining.

As I said before, Currie should join Cunningham in talking back to FSU.

Even before it was official that Oregon and Washington were fleeing the wreckage of the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, it had been such a crazy week in the no-holds-barred world of conference realignment — thanks in large part to the constant yipping out of Tallahassee — that North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham held a call with his department Friday morning to tell them UNC was not leaving the ACC. That’s what passes for breaking news these days in college sports. Nothing is actually something. “When the news cycle starts spinning like this, I have the obligation to let our staff know what I know and reassure them we’re going to be OK,” Cunningham said later Friday. “That I value what they do. That the university values what they do. That’s my role, to reassure them that things are going to be fine.” And as for UNC? “We have a $137 million budget,” Cunningham said. “We have 285 employees. Eight hundred student-athletes. We’re going to host 200 events this year. Over a million people are going to come to our games. We’re in good shape.”

With the Pac-12 falling apart — Colorado’s already left for the Big 12, and others are expected to follow suit — and Florida State very loudly claiming it would somehow be better off leaving the ACC, the world of college athletics is being torn apart for the third straight summer, in the service of college football television ratings, for no good reason.

The ACC’s position as third wheel, in terms of revenue if not championships, behind the Big Ten and SEC, always puts a target on its back, despite a grant-of-rights agreement that so far has held the conference together and is likely to continue to do so until it gets closer to its expiration in 2036. As always, television money is the catalyst. The past two summers, when Oklahoma and Texas left the Big 12 for the SEC and UCLA and USC left for the Big Ten, they did it to squeeze more money out of ESPN and Fox, respectively. This summer, it’s because there’s not any left. Fox is tapped out and Disney is exploring a “strategic partner” for ESPN as the golden spigot of cable-subscriber fees dries up, so when the Pac-12 went to cut a new deal it found an empty room full of tumbleweeds. The best it could do was Apple TV, at a fraction of what its schools get now. Oregon and Washington decided a partial share of Big Ten money was a better option, no matter what it means for the athletes involved. Which makes Florida State’s whining all the more funny. The Seminoles already spend more on athletics than any other public school in the ACC, with a total of 23 ACC titles to show for it in the past decade. One of those was literally handed to Florida State – on the floor of the Greensboro Coliseum as COVID hit in 2020 — and more than half of the rest came in men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track.

If Florida State can’t compete in the ACC spending more than anyone else, how is more money going to help it compete nationally? The problem isn’t that Florida State doesn’t have enough money. It’s that Florida State is bad at this, and trapped in a blind alley of nostalgia from the last time FSU football was relevant, a generation ago. Friday, news broke that the university was considering a private equity investment to finance an ACC exit. If the Seminoles want to buy their way out of the ACC … fine. Where are they going to go? Start a new conference with all their girlfriends from Canada on a really awesome TV network you’re just not cool enough to know about?

That this is mostly just posturing by the people in charge at Florida State to distract from how bad they are at their jobs doesn’t make it any easier on the rest of the ACC, which for the third straight summer is suddenly fending off rumors of its imminent demise. And that day may yet come. But with everything else going on, Cunningham felt the need to underline to his staff that it hadn’t come yet. “The ACC’s a great league for us,” Cunningham said. “We have no plans to leave the ACC. We’re going to strengthen the ACC and do everything we can to make our league as good as we possibly can. We’re going to value what we have. I’m not going to look over my shoulder at what we don’t have.”

No, I live closer to Stanford and Cal right now compared to how close I was to Wake when I lived in SC. I have been to one Wake game in 3+ years after attending tons of games in the 17 preceding years. That’s why it would be a nice addition for me but bad for other Wake fans.
Apologies, my East Coast bias is showing.

Article I read said they were profitable. It is Disney doing all the overall layoffs. Same article says they are laying off 7000 total. So ESPN layoffs were cost cutting and probably not job performance.
This makes you wonder how profitable ESPN is. Large companies don’t tend to cut payroll if they have a winning recipe for profit within a division. They tend to do P and L analysis and cut where a problem exists.

One "feature" of the ACC GoR according to one lawyer is that there is no specified venue gor litigation. Thus, first you have to litigate where to litigate. Florida? NC? Federal court?

Back