• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I’m old enough to remember when this thread was about conference expansion and not about trying to gain a sense of self worth about where one went to college

I’m old enough to remember when this thread was about conference expansion and not about trying to gain a sense of self worth about where one went to college
Those were simpler times. Everyone was chasing the PAC 12 with their leadership the envy of all. Rumors were percolating that Texas and OU might leave for the SEC making the Big 12’s days numbered. ACC was quite comfortable.

In attempt to get the thread back to re-alignment, I'll throw this out there. I read a Stewart Mandel article last week talking (hypothetically) about College Football going to an EPL type model for the top football schools. He settled on 28 teams to make up this breakaway league. Here's my question - let's pretend this happened with the exact 28 schools he has below (we can argue about who should/should not be in the 28 separately). With these 28 teams breaking away, build your ideal conference structure with the remaining teams left out of this new league, starting carte blanche without any regard to current conference makeups.

1692566533009.png

I’m game if there’s relegation and promotion.

As fun as that would be (and I'd love it), there's no way there will be relegation and promotion. Too much concern that all the high-eyeball teams' viewership would decline if they weren't in the hunt, at least theoretically, for a championship.

The powers that be don't want a good product or fairness. They want $.

As fun as that would be (and I'd love it), there's no way there will be relegation and promotion. Too much concern that all the high-eyeball teams' viewership would decline if they weren't in the hunt, at least theoretically, for a championship.

The powers that be don't want a good product or fairness. They want $.

This. Would EPL promotion/relegation be a thing if it had to come into existence today? I doubt it.

This. Would EPL promotion/relegation be a thing if it had to come into existence today? I doubt it.
Meh. EPL is pretty different because there are only a few of the richest clubs, and they pretty much have zero chance of relegation because they are able to spend so much more money on players than the other clubs.

College football doesn’t have nearly the level of differentiation, so the big teams would be much more realistically at risk in a relegation based system.

Here is my honest thought on this all at the moment after years following this stuff. With two more horrific injuries in the NFL preseason yesterday (one including our own John Wolford and the other leading to a mid-game cancellation), this is all likely to be a moot point. I doubt football as we know it is even around for much longer.

In attempt to get the thread back to re-alignment, I'll throw this out there. I read a Stewart Mandel article last week talking (hypothetically) about College Football going to an EPL type model for the top football schools. He settled on 28 teams to make up this breakaway league. Here's my question - let's pretend this happened with the exact 28 schools he has below (we can argue about who should/should not be in the 28 separately). With these 28 teams breaking away, build your ideal conference structure with the remaining teams left out of this new league, starting carte blanche without any regard to current conference makeups.

View attachment 5012
I only care about UNC and Clemson out of that group, so I would say the existing ACC, split into two divisions (the old ACC and old Big East). Add Tulane in place of FSU maybe. Add WVU to Big East division. Maybe consider adding William & Mary and Richmond if they upgrade their programs? Even Davidson down the road?

I don't care what Louisville does. I'd take Cincy if Louisville stays or if WVU joins. I guess UConn if we had to (I don't care who is in the Big East division, although I would like VT to be in the southern division.) Maybe Rutgers. F Maryland. But maybe Maryland. Forgot South Carolina.

Two divisions of 8 teams each would be ideal. No more than 9 per division.

1 UVA
2 VT
3 NCSU
4 Duke
5 Wake
6 South Carolina
7 GT
8 Tulane
9 (SMU, W&M, Richmond, JMU, USF, highest academic ranking of App St and ECU?)

1 BC
2 UConn
3 Syracuse
4 Rutgers
5 Maryland
6 Pitt
7 WVU
8 Louisville
9 UC

(Maryland and South Carolina on reduced shares, they can afford it. Or they can pound salt. )

Last edited:

View attachment 5012
I'm in just to see the Ole Miss/South Carolina/Miss. St/Arkansas tears that come from this.

Meh. EPL is pretty different because there are only a few of the richest clubs, and they pretty much have zero chance of relegation because they are able to spend so much more money on players than the other clubs.

College football doesn’t have nearly the level of differentiation, so the big teams would be much more realistically at risk in a relegation based system.
Leicester, Brentford, and Brighton & Hove tho

Back