• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Someone asked about how the ACC compares to the other power conferences regarding academics. Here is the scoreboard with Cal, Stanford and SMU included. The ACC (7) has one more Top 30 school the the rest of the power conferences (6) combined. It has two (9) less Top 50 schools than the rest of the power conferences (11). ACC has two less Top 75 schools (16) than all of the other power conference schools combined. Certainly holding their own.

The idea of adding Cal and Stanford has become more of a positive than when initially reported. Schools of that quality can only enhance the reputation of the conference. I like the idea of a late night ACC football game. A late night ACC basketball game has appeal as well. It makes sense that ESPN is all in on this inclusion. I suspect the all sport athletic profile would be enhanced as well.

SMU adds to the media dollars. Their humble desire to be included in the conference and their willingness to forego media dollars is refreshing and appreciated, especially when compared to FSU. They have sufficient financial support to improve all areas of athletic endeavor and strong alumni backing. Now they have a reason to do so. They will also benefit from the academic association of ACC schools. There is nothing in Texas that compares to what they are receiving in academic profile. This could be a case where the school that wants it and needs it the most provides more than ever imagined in the end.

I sure hope the ACC accepts all three universities, otherwise all this typing has been worthless.

I care very little about how academically strong conference teams are since college sports has become so little about actually going to school. That said, the tangential effects of adding west coast schools has to increase Wake’s name recognition and brand awareness in that area of the country, which is a big win IMO.

SMU is actually tied with State at 72nd in USNWR rankings. So very good, but not average-improving or anything. (Their endowment is only about $2B, roughly the same as ours.)

Clemson is actually the lowest in the ACC (77) other than Louisville (at 182!)

All of the Big 12 schools with Texas gone are below Clemson (including all the new schools). About a quarter of the new Big 10 is below Clemson. Well over half of the SEC is.

UConn is 67th, higher than I would have guessed. Tulane is 44th. Rice is 15th (endowment $8B!). TCU is 89th. USF is 97th.

Memphis is 250th, below WVU (I would take WVU, I'd be fine to be stranded in a conference with them but don't want to figure out how to get rid of Memphis later.)

Degrees of ACC Presidents:

BC - Philosophy, History PhD
Clemson - CompSci --> Operations Analysis PhD
Duke - English --> Communications PhD
FSU - Chemistry--> Chemical Engineering PhD
GT - Electrical/Computer Engineering--> Cognitive Psychology PhD
Louisville - Econ/Biology --> MBA
Miami - MD, PhD in Philosophy and Sociology
UNC - PhD in athletic training
NC St - Horticulture PhD
Notre Dame - PhD in Philosophy, Theology
Pitt - Philosphy --> JD
Syracuse - JD
UVA - JD
VT - Physics --> Material Science and Engineering PhD
Wake - Biochemistry PhD
NC State having a president with a horticulture degree is so NC State

Does this really matter? Aren’t the conferences all about athletics not academics?
Well, I would say that it matters not at all in some important ways and matters a great deal in other important ways. As far as sports go, sadly it does not appear to matter at all anymore. But being closely associated with STanford,Cal,Duke UVA, Ga Tech, BC is a huge win for Wake Forest the university (I left out UNC on purpose :D).

SMU has a very inflated view of its own academics. It's basically a bunch of rich kids with decent to good academic backgrounds in HS. Like a bigger Elon.

Love the campus though. It's a little oasis in the middle of Dallas, similar to Wake in terms of feel.

Back