• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

What else are we going to talk about on this thread? Another wrong yokel on Twitter claiming FSU found a way out? Not interesting!

Meanwhile we’ve got a burner poster with horrible misogynist takes that has been unmasked. And rather than fading into the sunset he keeps returning like it never happened and then threatening legal action when called out. Very interesting!
yeah by all means let's instead talk about adding Tulsa to the conference ::massive jerk-off motion::

What else are we going to talk about on this thread? Another wrong yokel on Twitter claiming FSU found a way out? Not interesting!

Meanwhile we’ve got a burner poster with horrible misogynist takes that has been unmasked. And rather than fading into the sunset he keeps returning like it never happened and then threatening legal action when called out. Very interesting!

What kind of legal action could be taken? And who would waste time even thinking about that much less actually doing something about it?

Christ, is it 1985 again?

Funny thing is everybody in the SWC was engaged in that at the time, and certainly it's biggest players in Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, Arkansas. The difference is that SMU's payments leaked out. They got the extra attention they weren't used to handling, and they didn't know how to squash the story. The others in the SWC were perfectly happy to see them get squooshed for daring to challenge the big boys in the money game.

I don't think SMU is a sleeping giant, but they do have a lot of very well-heeled alumni. Ultimately, it's still a fairly small school with a small stadium and-- for the moment-- a tepid fanbase. They would have to do a lot to regain their early 80s football glory.

I’ll just drop this here. It sounds like the new ACC schedule with the additional schools will now have varied amounts of protected opponents rather than everyone having 3 (or whatever number) no matter what. I would expect that this protects the State game but no guarantees.

Funny thing is everybody in the SWC was engaged in that at the time, and certainly it's biggest players in Texas, Texas A&M, Houston, Arkansas. The difference is that SMU's payments leaked out. They got the extra attention they weren't used to handling, and they didn't know how to squash the story. The others in the SWC were perfectly happy to see them get squooshed for daring to challenge the big boys in the money game.

I don't think SMU is a sleeping giant, but they do have a lot of very well-heeled alumni. Ultimately, it's still a fairly small school with a small stadium and-- for the moment-- a tepid fanbase. They would have to do a lot to regain their early 80s football glory.

$100M in seven days gets you there very quickly. Let's just hope Jerry Jones (I realize he's an Arkansas alum) doesn't buy the entire team as a hobby since they're just down the street from him. If he does, we'll be competing against Dallas Cowboys Light in SMU.

I’ll just drop this here. It sounds like the new ACC schedule with the additional schools will now have varied amounts of protected opponents rather than everyone having 3 (or whatever number) no matter what. I would expect that this protects the State game but no guarantees.
Yes.

Stanford, Cal and SMU will be protected rivals (SMU being part of that to lock them in to a west coast trip every year). It is possible an ACC school could have zero rivals as is the case with Penn State in the B1G.

At this point, it makes geographical sense to add Oregon St and Wash St. That makes 19 ACC teams and gives you a western pod. Grab WVa, increase the conference to 20 teams, go back to pod scheduling for football, tell ND to fuck off in all sports, and then wait until the GOR expires and see what happens.

At this point, it makes geographical sense to add Oregon St and Wash St. That makes 19 ACC teams and gives you a western pod. Grab WVa, increase the conference to 20 teams, go back to pod scheduling for football, tell ND to fuck off in all sports, and then wait until the GOR expires and see what happens.
We can’t just grab WVU anymore. That ship has sailed for the immediate future because the Big 12 GOR is identical to ours.

Have to agree with the idea of adding Ore St and Wash St out west and telling ND it's now or never to be all-in or all-out to get to Pods.

Have to agree with the idea of adding Ore St and Wash St out west and telling ND it's now or never to be all-in or all-out to get to Pods.
Not gonna happen as much as we want it to. ND brings in more money as a partial member than those two would bring in as full members.

The ACC should get together and start a prestigious state school somewhere on the east coast with 40,000 students and a lot of fans.

Back