• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Wake will never, ever legitimately compete for a national championship in football; maybe slide in the 12-team playoff once every 10-20 years but no way we win 3-4 playoff games in a row against teams with all their 4-5 star recruits and NIL transfers. I'm ready for the whole thing to go ahead and blow up, in which case we either hang in somehow to compete at a moderately-successful (hopefully/optimistically) level as a "power" member, or if not, we compete in a totally separate G5-type division with a legit chance at a national championship.
If the latter, do you mean by claiming one of the 12 playoff spots? Or presumably you're saying a separate national championship of G5 programs. If so, we could become one of the bigger fish in that pond, with regard to our resources and momentum.

You really don’t know why?
Let’s just say it’s not like Nebraska with hundreds of sellouts and their stands are full, even with the shit teams they have had with Frost & Rhule. We can brag about 3 sellouts or whatever to start the season but when you sit there at the Elon & Vandy games looking over at 10,000 empty seats in the East stands, it is a joke.

reporter: Hey Ron Wellman- do you think that Florida State is happy in the ACC?
Ron Wellman: Heavens Yes!
Another thing Well-Man got correct. Just like picking Rembielak for baseball, BzMan & Manning for basketball.

I wasn't "shitting" on the University of Tennessee-it's no better or worse than a lot of universities with much fancier reputations. I was making fun of someone who insists on referring to himself with "PhD" attached to his name.

View attachment 7352

I was also making fun of his doctorate in education. It's the easiest degree in the world to obtain and all you have to do is "put in the [minimal] work" and time to "earn it." The staff at most modern American universities is overflowing with people bureaucrats with doctorates in education. Phillips strikes me as a typical academic bureaucrat.
Well. maybe in athletics folks don’t go around preceding the leaders by Dr, such as Dr Phillips like we seem to do in academia and call our Wake president Dr Wente. But let’s not forget our great and longtime AD (1964-1992), Gene Hooks was always known as Dr. Hooks and he got his doctorate in education and physical education from George Peabody College.

Wake will never, ever legitimately compete for a national championship in football; maybe slide in the 12-team playoff once every 10-20 years but no way we win 3-4 playoff games in a row against teams with all their 4-5 star recruits and NIL transfers. I'm ready for the whole thing to go ahead and blow up, in which case we either hang in somehow to compete at a moderately-successful (hopefully/optimistically) level as a "power" member, or if not, we compete in a totally separate G5-type division with a legit chance at a national championship.
Pretty much agree.

Feel like the only way we hang in to get included at the big boy table is if UNC, NCST, or Duke drags us with them no? Have to wonder how Wente and Currie’s relationship is with those schools leaders?

The level of hubris on FSU media outlets is off the scale. It's like we the only entity in the country with lawyers. In addition to the screwing they took this year, you lost to Wake Forest 3 years in a row. And there was Jackson State. Keep it up. It's like Wake, Duke, Stanford, and UVA don't have law schools. In my opinion you getting ready to take a thrashing by the privates in the ACC. I'd throw $50 bucks on their legal side just to end the incessant whining. Little babies of the NCAA. Get the fuck out. Only people who care are you dumbassery kings.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree.

Feel like the only way we hang in to get included at the big boy table is if UNC, NCST, or Duke drags us with them no? Have to wonder how Wente and Currie’s relationship is with those schools leaders?
I think realistically, the best outcome for us is if the top 24 or so football schools break away (but not 48). That will leave most of our rivals in our boat.

We are all playing for being part of a roughly 70 school boat. God help us if that boat ends up being 64. But, at the moment, that's all we can do.

I'd rather be in an all-sports conference with most of the current ACC and some magnolia adds, whether M2 or G5 than, say, the Sunbelt. I don't know if that would be more "fun" than the Sunbelt but it would be better for our national reputation including especially academically.

The level of hubris on FSU media outlets is off the scale. It's like we the only entity in the country with lawyers. In addition to the screwing they took this year, you lost to Wake Forest 3 years in a row. And there was Jackson State. Keep it up. It's like Wake, Duke, Stanford, and UVA don't have law schools. In my opinion you getting ready to take a thrashing by the privates in the ACC. I'd throw $50 bucks on their legal side just to end the incessant whining. Little babies of the NCAA. Get the fuck out. Only people who care are you dumbassery kings.

If you want proof that an alternate universe truly does exist, go check out the Warchant YouTube channel. I followed them leading up to the 2022 Wake game and it just became too much. I check it only occasionally now for a good laugh. Gave Wake absolutely ZERO credit, claimed we just run trick plays and don't play at their level. This, after having their asses handed to them for three straight years. I'm sure a psychiatrist could retire just dealing with these people.

I have surrendered to the earlier notion of a southern Ivy League conference. I don't have any idea of how long the present dollar madness will continue for football, to the detriment of almost all other sports, but we can't justify those kind of dollars indefinitely just to play. I don't think that ESPN can or will, either.

Is losing to great Wake teams a bad thing? You aren’t giving Wake enough credit for the job the school has done building a great program.

Is losing to great Wake teams a bad thing? You aren’t giving Wake enough credit for the job the school has done building a great program.
Thanks, but we are not a "great" program, even though we have a lot to be proud of in building a competitive one.

Yep, separate championship for the G5.

:facepalm:

Why don't we just go whole hog and just drop to FCS. Maybe we can compete against NC A&T, Elon, Davidson, North Dakota State and Montana. :rolleyes:

Anyone suggesting we drop out or stop trying to compete against the big schools is insane. You don't get better by lowering the level of your competition. It doesn't look more impressive to start winning championships against also-rans or floormats. It just furthers the reputation of being a fake or wannabe team that the other teams place on us. We need to ALWAYS strive to beat the best. There are examples out there of schools that worked their way up into consistently successful programs (hint: successful doesn't have to mean CONSTANT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP CONTENDING), and they didn't have to stop playing the big guys to do it.

We can and will get there as long as we continue putting forth the effort.

The source is meh but I’m more than a little nervous after seeing this.

Back