• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I expect the Big 10 would take FSU. I expect they would take one of Clemson/UNC. I am very skeptical they would water their product and profits down with UVA. The SEC has a team in the Carolinas. The Big 10 would take one and call it even. UNC is a huge brand but their football sucks for significant periods of time and the fans are barely interested when they’re good. I think they take Clemson.

I expect the Big 10 would take FSU. I expect they would take one of Clemson/UNC. I am very skeptical they would water their product and profits down with UVA. The SEC has a team in the Carolinas. The Big 10 would take one and call it even. UNC is a huge brand but their football sucks for significant periods of time and the fans are barely interested when they’re good. I think they take Clemson.
The Big 10 doesn’t seem to care about shitty football. They’ve been playing shitty football my whole life.

Don't worry guys, BeachBumDeac is notorious for being judgmental of how others live their lives and what they prioritize or focus on.
I know it’s a hot take but I’m willing to take the courageous stand that making yourself constantly miserable by worrying about bad things that could happen is not a good thing.

I suspect that UNC and UVA are most attractive because they are flagship state universities in states with huge athletics programs, nationwide donor bases, and the year to year potential to have nationally competitive football programs. Most importantly, they are in states where the SEC and Big 10 have no competing programs.

As for UVA not having a good football program, with their resources they are basically 1 good coaching staff away from a good program, and as the dominos fall there will be plenty of HC to poach from lesser conferences

I know it’s a hot take but I’m willing to take the courageous stand that making yourself constantly miserable by worrying about bad things that could happen is not a good thing.
I hear ya, but you should probably pick a different fanbase to engage with then. We’re all too used to the bad things happening so we’re always waiting on it to happen again.

what resources does UVA have? Do they have good facilities or a donor base willing to put up big NIL money?

UVA’s basketball arena JPJ is one of the best in the country. UVA has a lot of money for athletics and a really good fan base. They and UNC will be highly coveted

UVA’s basketball arena JPJ is one of the best in the country. UVA has a lot of money for athletics and a really good fan base. They and UNC will be highly coveted
The odds that UVA adds enough $$$ to make every schools’ share go up are very low.

I’m not naive enough to believe others aren’t going to try to leave ACC but given how this has played out - it’s pretty clear powers that be - ie UNC, UVA, Clemson- are letting FSU be the straw man here which they are fine with doing as they are already so hated.

I’m not an attorney but seems like if this was a class action suit - everyone would sue ACC along with FSU to give more credibility to the suit. I think this is sensationalized on both sides and this is really an attempt to re-negotiate GOR/TV contracts and seeing if ACC will play ball. FSU doesn’t have leverage at moment but BigTen/SEC would take UVA, Clemson, and UNC in a second. Everyone knows this but those 3 are too snobby to sue their own conference.

winning games and people in stands has nothing to do with a schools attractiveness to Big Ten/SEC- it’s about brand and hypothetical value. We could win national title in basketball and make CFP next year in football and nothing would change for us.

winning games and people in stands has nothing to do with a schools attractiveness to Big Ten/SEC- it’s about brand and hypothetical value. We could win national title in basketball and make CFP next year in football and nothing would change for us.
People in the stands does because it shows interest. I don’t know anyone from UVA who even knows when bball and football games are happening, let alone watches them on TV. I agree that performance means nothing or the Big 10 would have the worst TV deal.

I mean I get that but considering that Wake being in the ACC is really what makes it special, I can absolutely understand the hand wringing.

If Wake were in Davidsons conference, I bet half the people on here if not more would never have gone to Wake.

I mean I get that but considering that Wake being in the ACC is really what makes it special, I can absolutely understand the hand wringing.

If Wake were in Davidsons conference, I bet half the people on here if not more would never have gone to Wake.
100%. Wake playing P5 sports at its size with its academics is the only differentiating factor from Wake and a zillion other small liberal arts colleges.

Back