• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I’ll answer your question. Going 4-8 is not the whole reason why I’m currently off the Clawson train. It’s the way this whole season played out. Every single person knew that Griffis was not the QB, yet our coach continued to play him. Every single person knew that our playcalling needed to change, but it didn’t. Combine that with snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in multiple games over the last few years, as well as the predicted season collapses in November and I do not think Clawson can get us over the hump. Like you said, that progression to a title contender takes time, I also think it may take a few coaches. Grobe showed that you can win the ACC. Clawson has now shown that you can consistently be .500. IMO it may be time for the next guy to take the next step. Do I honestly think Clawson should be fired right now? No. But after the way this season played out I do not have a ton of confidence, especially with the continued whining about NIL.
almost every coach is whining about NIL and they are doing it for a very specific audience - the donors who build up the NIL war chest

"Going rogue" is not a claim. I don't see anything in the suit that is false. Saying Oregon State football is better than Cal football is true.

The last I read the bylaws they did not have a clause for "must say good stuff always about the ACC." If that clause is in there now, I guess you could seek what damages you could prove for that.

The ACC already sued them in Charlotte. It seems the ACC is the one with standing if anyone has it.
Agree that the ACC has the strongest claims against them. That said, a school like Wake, with minimal successful football history and profitability, might have a claim against FSU that Wake acted in reliance upon FSU's historical success when agreeing to the GOR, investing in facilities, travel to play FSU, etc. based on additional revenue that FSU should have brought to the conference revenue sharing via CFB/Bowl success had they maintained their historical success. FSU then sucked ass for a decade and failed to deliver, arguably tanking the entire conference via their incompetence. Would probably have to throw Miami in as well to make the claim seem more legitimate. I don't think it is a winning claim, but it would likely be enough to be a pain in their ass to address just to fuck with them.

Agree that the ACC has the strongest claims against them. That said, a school like Wake, with minimal successful football history and profitability, might have a claim against FSU that Wake acted in reliance upon FSU's historical success when agreeing to the GOR, investing in facilities, travel to play FSU, etc. based on additional revenue that FSU should have brought to the conference revenue sharing via CFB/Bowl success had they maintained their historical success. FSU then sucked ass for a decade and failed to deliver, arguably tanking the entire conference via their incompetence. Would probably have to throw Miami in as well to make the claim seem more legitimate. I don't think it is a winning claim, but it would likely be enough to be a pain in their ass to address just to fuck with them.

Yeah but FSU could then counter sue that they were in effect subsidizing schools like Wake. I like the spirit but think it’s a race to the bottom if we take that approach.

From Wake’s perspective, I think this is a good thing FSU is suing. We’ll at least get some clarity on the GOR one way or the other rather than guessing and debating. Also- it’s gonna take time - likely 2 years- so gives us stay of execution.

Yeah but FSU could then counter sue that they were in effect subsidizing schools like Wake. I like the spirit but think it’s a race to the bottom if we take that approach.

From Wake’s perspective, I think this is a good thing FSU is suing. We’ll at least get some clarity on the GOR one way or the other rather than guessing and debating. Also- it’s gonna take time - likely 2 years- so gives us stay of execution.
Not really. They knew we sucked and they were subsidizing us when they signed, that was part of the deal. Any benefits we brought over and above that were a bonus. We lived up to our end of the bargain by continuing to suck, they are the ones who failed to deliver.

Maybe they could say that specifically us beating them once in a while was unexpected and cost them the overall success that we were banking on from them, but their contractual responsibility was still to kick our ass for our own monetary benefit, and they failed.

Agreed that it is a race to the bottom, but college football in general is a complete cesspool at this point.

yeah we should be suing in courts of law about how sports teams perform. That's a good idea.

I think that argument does more harm to Wake than good. If we sue saying “we know we suck and aren’t profitable and you know we suck and aren’t profitable, and you entered into an agreement knowingly and acknowledging that you have to carry our financial weight as well, so you owe us money if you leave” doesn’t really set us up for inclusion in any sort of meaningful conference going forward.

I’ve also noted on here the potential“big fish in a small pond” scenario, which would be absolutely surreal.
That advantage wouldn’t last long though. Donations and attendance would drop significantly, while conference money would also fall drastically. We’d even out soon and again be at a disadvantage because of academic requirements.

The way to defeat FSU lawsuit is to take it out of football only. They signed up in the student athlete Era and the ACC delivered in spades.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I think that argument does more harm to Wake than good. If we sue saying “we know we suck and aren’t profitable and you know we suck and aren’t profitable, and you entered into an agreement knowingly and acknowledging that you have to carry our financial weight as well, so you owe us money if you leave” doesn’t really set us up for inclusion in any sort of meaningful conference going forward.
We're getting left out no matter what. Thinking we get included in anything material is pure lunacy. We are marginally competent in football, completely irrelevant in basketball, and have a worthless alumni base in terms of numbers/attendance/viewership. The only way we survive is through the generosity of our "rivals" dragging us along, but they all have bigger rivals that they'll need to prioritize. In any major shakeup, we are flat fucked. So if we are going down, go down swinging.

Oregon state is better at football than Cal because they won the last 2 matchups? good grief, I guess Wake is better at football than FSU Bc we won 3 of the last 4.

We're getting left out no matter what. Thinking we get included in anything material is pure lunacy. We are marginally competent in football, completely irrelevant in basketball, and have a worthless alumni base in terms of numbers/attendance/viewership. The only way we survive is through the generosity of our "rivals" dragging us along, but they all have bigger rivals that they'll need to prioritize. In any major shakeup, we are flat fucked. So if we are going down, go down swinging.
I don't like the guy either but he's not the only reason Wake is getting ignored.

That advantage wouldn’t last long though. Donations and attendance would drop significantly, while conference money would also fall drastically. We’d even out soon and again be at a disadvantage because of academic requirements.
I think many of us would lose interest and people like us just wouldn’t go to Wake anymore.

We'd probably end up playing against some teams with similar academic requirements. But we'd be ahead of most schools by 5-10 years in the facilities race. So yes, the key would be to keep attendance/alumni interest & donations up by selling the prospect of potentially dominating whatever new league opportunities with which we're presented. There would be at least some people intrigued by that.

We'd probably end up playing against some teams with similar academic requirements. But we'd be ahead of most schools by 5-10 years in the facilities race. So yes, the key would be to keep attendance/alumni interest & donations up by selling the prospect of potentially dominating whatever new league opportunities with which we're presented. There would be at least some people intrigued by that.
I’m not sure we would be with similar schools, at least in football. We’d be with App, ECU, JMU type schools. Davidson, Richmond, etc. play at a lower level than we would drop to.

Back