• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I generally agree but isn’t the Big XII edge that their TV expires much sooner than the ACC’s does?

The ACC will continue to exist. where are these teams going?

Sent from my SM-S711U using Tapatalk

No we wouldn't we would be in the ACC remnants with the likes of BC, UCONN, Pitt, Stanford, Cal, Duke. Please don't act like every ACC team but us is going somewhere else.
And who do you think the additional teams are going to be? It’s not going to be a 7 team conference. Even if you add Tulane and SMU it’s likely that those schools i mentioned would also be in. UConn and Pitt are also not equivalent academic schools btw.

With that said, as I’ve said many times, I fully think the ACC will continue to exist with basically the schools that are in it now.

In the doomsday scenario - I see BC, Duke, GT, Cuse, Stanford, Cal, and SMU all remaining in the ACC. And that’s a lot of IF’s for a lot of schools who are borderline attractive to leave (State, VT, LVille, Pitt) That’s some type of conference left.

In the doomsday scenario - I see BC, Duke, GT, Cuse, Stanford, Cal, and SMU all remaining in the ACC. And that’s a lot of IF’s for a lot of schools who are borderline attractive to leave (State, VT, LVille, Pitt) That’s some type of conference left.

I think some of you are placing way too much value on football programs not named Clemson, FSU and Miami (and in 2023 even Miami is a stretch). And, this is ALL about football. Make no mistake. I'm not sure there will be some mass dismantling as much as poaching. Now, can the poaching lead to dissolution eventually? Sure. But I don't see this as cataclysmic as some might fear. Yes, we've been pitiful to marginal in football but let's not kid ourselves that some of these other schools have been worth a damn more than a handful of times either.

Yep. Instead they let the Big Ten in to double-cross them. Almost makes me think Jim Phillips was in on it.
It’s borderline Elrod stuff.

Pull in Oregon and Washington-who took half shares from the big 10-a deal the ACC could have beat-and the trajectory of this discussion completely changes. Probably the one pitch he could have hit and he watched it drift by.

Cmon now. Nothing nefarious. Just incompetence or, short of that, paralysis by analysis.

Understand and concede the edges that the SEC and Big 10 have. Do not understand or agree with any concession to the Big 12. They are essentially the ACC West with the same TV revenues and a GOR holding the conference together.

If football continues to drive the train, why is the Big 12 in a better position than the ACC? What Big 12 programs draw national eyeballs? Baylor? No
Texas Tech? No
Kansas? No
K State? No
Colorado? No
Texas and Oklahoma, obviously.

I think some of you are placing way too much value on football programs not named Clemson, FSU and Miami (and in 2023 even Miami is a stretch). And, this is ALL about football. Make no mistake. I'm not sure there will be some mass dismantling as much as poaching. Now, can the poaching lead to dissolution eventually? Sure. But I don't see this as cataclysmic as some might fear. Yes, we've been pitiful to marginal in football but let's not kid ourselves that some of these other schools have been worth a damn more than a handful of times either.
Unfortunately the performance on the field matters very little. It’s all about brand and eyeballs.

Just felt the need to say that I understand why UNC is the biggest brand in the ACC, but yet again their attendance suggests otherwise. Mack Brown even got asked about it extensively in the postgame and questions about UNC attendance are all over social media. I’m 100% sure that we brought more fans to the Belk Bowl than they did last night (and their attendance in the same stadium against UofSC earlier this year was also crap).

I’m not as concerned about future conference affiliation as I am about our athletics department adjusting to a much much smaller budget. In the likely scenario where we lose major conference affiliation, we likely also lose 30+ million dollars a year in revenue. We would likely have to cut a number of our sports programs.

I’m not as concerned about future conference affiliation as I am about our athletics department adjusting to a much much smaller budget. In the likely scenario where we lose major conference affiliation, we likely also lose 30+ million dollars a year in revenue. We would likely have to cut a number of our sports programs.
Well, if we do that we can’t be Division 1 any more

Back