• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I missed like 3 Wake games this year because I don’t have UPN or the WB or whatever the hell that channel is, whatever channel with The Flash tv show that Ph thinks everyone has.
The CW? Every household in America has the CW. Just get a pair of bunny ears.

Setting aside the exit fee, the issue in this action (as opposed to the FSU suit), isn’t whether the GOR is binding, it is a question of what the GOR actually covers. The GOR says each member grants to the ACC "all rights ... necessary for the Conference to perform the contractual obligations of the Conference expressly set forth in the ESPN Agreement, regardless of whether such Member Institution remains a member of the Conference during the entirety of the Term."

Clemson's argument is that rights to games played when a school is no longer a member of the ACC are not "necessary for the Conference to perform" its obligations under the ESPN agreement. Obviously, the "regardless of whether such member remains a member during the entirety of the term" seems to indicate that there must be at lease some rights that are necessary for the ACC to meet its obligations under the ESPN agreement, but since the ESPN agreement isn't public and Clemson's filing is heavily redacted, I would be cautious of anyone weighing in on the strength or weakness of that argument. I thought (and continue to think) that FSU's arguments are bad to laughably bad, and my gut says that Clemson's aren't strong either, but without the ESPN agreement, I don't think anyone can say that with any certainty.
This is true. If the ESPN agreement obligates the ACC to deliver the media rights to enumerated schools, including Clemson, FSU, etc., for a certain period of time then the ACC would need to retain those rights even if a school leaves the conference. But if the ESPN agreement only obligates the ACC to deliver the media rights to "ACC schools" then, arguably, they would have to deliver the media rights to schools that leave the conference after they have left.
I would think that ESPN would have insisted on the former and not the latter to make sure the agreement would retain its value - or they could possibly have included the right to negotiate a lower value if schools left, I guess.

considering that FSU, Clemson and UNC were the three teams that voted against expansion, I would expect the tarheels to join them in the lawsuit at some point. The Treacherous Three.

Clemson fans will be looking forward to the annual game against Rutgers and Illinois in Death Valley, surely
I don't want Clemson to leave the ACC but this is really no different than what we have coming to Death Valley yearly anyway. BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and now Cal, Stanford and SMU. Yay! I miss the original ACC + GT +FSU.

I don't want Clemson to leave the ACC but this is really no different than what we have coming to Death Valley yearly anyway. BC, Pitt, Syracuse, and now Cal, Stanford and SMU. Yay! I miss the original ACC + GT +FSU.
cuse, Wake, nd, gt, and unc was your home slate this year.

cuse, Wake, nd, gt, and unc was your home slate this year.
Just like the poster I was replying to, I was using random schools that really do not move the needle for the fan base. Certainly Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska, USC, Oregon and Washington would.

I would prefer to go to the Big East for basketball if Duke comes along

Washington State, Oregon State, UConn and Tulane or Memphis with four pods of five teams?

Kinda like that better even than having Clemson and FSU

I'm going to be 60 in 2036. Most of the current football coaches will be retired by then. So dumb to sign an agreement for that long.

Back