• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

Yeah. It looks like it’s from the business buzzwords thread written by a lawyer or business bro rather than a biochemist.

Even a university like Wake brings in more revenue from research in areas like biochem than from sports and branding. That’s certainly the case at larger universities. That’s one reason academics are in charge.
Definitely a bunch of HR speak, which more than anything was my point about having academics (who in my experience use this kind of language more than people in the "real world") in charge of leading us forward rather than people with tangible experience leading an organization through a period of major change.

I also get the argument that people don't want/need Wake to be competing at the top levels of sports or ranked amongst the best colleges, and that is certainly a fair perspective. I don't expect us to be competing for national championships in major sports or compared to Yale either. But it's pretty sad that a school that prides itself in academics is ranked as an equivalent to Texas A&M and worse than Rutgers. Now, obviously that doesn't mean the education you would receive there is better, but from an optics perspective it is pretty pathetic. I don't think anybody expects Currie and/or Wente to come out and lay out some 5-10 year plan publicly, but it frustrates me, despite really liking him, how much Currie spouts BS about Wake (e.g. being the "fastest growing power conference fanbase") which clearly isn't true to anybody who knows sports, and all correspondence I've seen from Wente being filled with fluff.
Genuinely curious (a) what strategies you all think exist to keep Wake from getting left out of a 2-super-league NCAA and (b) what strategies you’d expect the Wake President to publicly reveal.
To me, I don't see any way we are involved in whatever becomes of the national B1G/SEC conglomerate that seems inevitable. Think our best possible outcome is to end up in the level directly below that, competing against the "misfits" from the national conference (Duke, GT, Northwestern, VT, Vandy, UVA seem like decent possibilities here). Not sure what our strategy should be to make that happen, but I agree with Kent that any success will be predicated on having foreknowledge of other movers and being proactive rather than reactive (you can see pretty clearly how being reactive worked for Oregon St. and Washington St.).

The reality is Wente and Currie aren't the ones largely responsible for putting us in the situation we are in now,

I know dr is just doing his usual schtick but I cannot emphasize how little basketball matters when it comes to how we will end up. We could've made 10 tournaments for the last decade and won a couple national championships and it still wouldn't have shit all to do with where we end up on the realignment merry go round
I can see what you're saying, and I agree with the general premise in a more realistic scenario (e.g. we made 7 out of last 10 tournaments with a couple Sweet 16s), but at the same time I think it's pretty ludicrous to say that the national perspective on Wake wouldn't be completely different had we won a couple MCBB national championships. In that case I'd find it hard to believe we wouldn't at least have the Big East, and maybe Big 12, as an option to preserve basketball at least.

I know dr is just doing his usual schtick but I cannot emphasize how little basketball matters when it comes to how we will end up. We could've made 10 tournaments for the last decade and won a couple national championships and it still wouldn't have shit all to do with where we end up on the realignment merry go round
Then why is everyone clamoring to add BE teams and Gonzaga to their big contracts ?!?

I can see what you're saying, and I agree with the general premise in a more realistic scenario (e.g. we made 7 out of last 10 tournaments with a couple Sweet 16s), but at the same time I think it's pretty ludicrous to say that the national perspective on Wake wouldn't be completely different had we won a couple MCBB national championships. In that case I'd find it hard to believe we wouldn't at least have the Big East, and maybe Big 12, as an option to preserve basketball at least.
Why is the BE preferable to what’s left of the ACC?

The idea that every ACC team is going to transfer up is laughable.

I mostly agree with this, but success matters to the brand. We're not trying to distinguish ourselves from the Georgias and Michigans. We're trying to distinguish ourselves from the schools in similar situations who are also hoping for a chair when the music stops.

An intact bowl streak would get mentioned and listed in graphics. It would give us something to put on our "application." Rising (or staying in place) in the academic rankings (which we loved when we were highly ranked, but now are somehow wrong when we are not)- same thing. No one is going to do a deep-dive on WFU to figure out (even if it's true, which it's not) that notwithstanding our abysmal basketball program, our seemingly declining football program and our fall in the academic rankings that matter most, we are invitation-worthy.

I agree that football matters most. But it is incorrect to say other brand-enhancing factors are irrelevant.

Why is the BE preferable to what’s left of the ACC?

The idea that every ACC team is going to transfer up is laughable.
I'd hope that whatever is left of the ACC is preferable to the BE. I'm sure it will be from a football perspective, like you said it would take literally everyone moving up from the ACC for football to be worse than the BE's non-existent football offeringl. But, in the scenario the ACC no longer exists I'd be shocked if we didn't have a BE invite, given we have a couple national championships the last 10 years. In reality, I think the remnants of the ACC will be what we end up with, but from a basketball perspective the BE would probably be better. I also don't think our basketball program would get an invite from the BE, so kind of a moot point.

So are we feeling better about all of this if, against all odds, WF football goes bowling in 2024?

If you think the NCGA is going to lift a finger to make sure Wake Forest winds up in the B1G or SEC, you really need to refocus; especially if you think they would somehow tie it to any action taken by UNC-CH.

If you think the NCGA is going to lift a finger to make sure Wake Forest winds up in the B1G or SEC, you really need to refocus; especially if you think they would somehow tie it to any action taken by UNC-CH.
No one is saying that. What we're saying is that there is and should be some interest in keeping acc NC schools together in a conference. Hence why there was a change in rules recently that requires the NC board of governors to approve any conference change.

I get that you're giddy about the ACC blowing up but some people still care about trying to keep it together

No one is saying that. What we're saying is that there is and should be some interest in keeping acc NC schools together in a conference. Hence why there was a change in rules recently that requires the NC board of governors to approve any conference change.

I get that you're giddy about the ACC blowing up but some people still care about trying to keep it together
You'd think so, but I think UNC and State and their fans in the GA would gladly blow it up for Big Ten $$$$$.

So are we feeling better about all of this if, against all odds, WF football goes bowling in 2024?
No chance in hell. No way the SEC wants any more Vandys and the Big 10 already has 3 or 4 programs they'd like to jettison.

Some of those schools are going to get kicked to the curb with us when some type of football super league shakes out with a single tv contract and no conferences.

Some of those schools are going to get kicked to the curb with us when some type of football super league shakes out with a single tv contract and no conferences.

Maybe. While I am not pointing to Vanderbilt as an example of a proactive athletic department, I think the recent basketball coach move and NIL announcements were influenced in part by a desire to keep its spot at the party. Again, brand enhancement, even if it involves basketball.

It's easier to keep your seat than to get one.

Definitely a bunch of HR speak, which more than anything was my point about having academics (who in my experience use this kind of language more than people in the "real world") in charge of leading us forward rather than people with tangible experience leading an organization through a period of major change.

I also get the argument that people don't want/need Wake to be competing at the top levels of sports or ranked amongst the best colleges, and that is certainly a fair perspective. I don't expect us to be competing for national championships in major sports or compared to Yale either. But it's pretty sad that a school that prides itself in academics is ranked as an equivalent to Texas A&M and worse than Rutgers. Now, obviously that doesn't mean the education you would receive there is better, but from an optics perspective it is pretty pathetic. I don't think anybody expects Currie and/or Wente to come out and lay out some 5-10 year plan publicly, but it frustrates me, despite really liking him, how much Currie spouts BS about Wake (e.g. being the "fastest growing power conference fanbase") which clearly isn't true to anybody who knows sports, and all correspondence I've seen from Wente being filled with fluff.

To me, I don't see any way we are involved in whatever becomes of the national B1G/SEC conglomerate that seems inevitable. Think our best possible outcome is to end up in the level directly below that, competing against the "misfits" from the national conference (Duke, GT, Northwestern, VT, Vandy, UVA seem like decent possibilities here). Not sure what our strategy should be to make that happen, but I agree with Kent that any success will be predicated on having foreknowledge of other movers and being proactive rather than reactive (you can see pretty clearly how being reactive worked for Oregon St. and Washington St.).

The reality is Wente and Currie aren't the ones largely responsible for putting us in the situation we are in now,
Vandy and Northwestern not leaving SEC or Big 18.

No chance in hell. No way the SEC wants any more Vandys and the Big 10 already has 3 or 4 programs they'd like to jettison.

Athletics is a zero sum game. Every conference needs patsies. They can't all go 11-1.

Athletics is a zero sum game. Every conference needs patsies. They can't all go 11-1.
That will happen by default. Just the way numbers work. What matters is how many subscribers schools can deliver. Eventually a UCF is more valuable than a Vanderbilt.

Back