• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Once Miami and VT left, the BE was dead man walking in football.

The Big East will either be dead or vastly differently by then. No way the June 2014 date holds. Those former B12 schools they are hoping to add will need a conference for the 2012-2013 athletic season.

I agree, doesn't make sense to hold lame duck members hostage for 3 years.

Getting a kick out of the fact that the WVU fans on that board thinks the ACC would fall all over themselves to take them in.

All they bring is a fanbase that travels - other than that, they bring in shitty academics, shitty television markets and shitty fans with that damn Let's Go Mountaineers chant.

Still think they're SEC bound eventually. They're not going to the ACC, and they sure ain't going to the Big T11n.

I am starting to feel more confident about ND joining the ACC though. By no means anywhere near a sure thing, but I'd peg it at about 33% now. The linked article above makes some good points...especially as leagues likely go to 9 game conference schedules tightening up dates later in the season. Though the rebuttal to that is I still think most schools will make it work to be able to get a H/H with ND.

yes please. as long as we get someone besides rutgers as team #16 i'll be happy. ND or PSU would be fucking awesome.

ND as #15 and PSU as #16 would be ideal, but either as #15 and UConn as #16 would be pretty kick ass as well.

We would be so good at hoops and a strong ACC should help the Wake program in the long term (painful in the short though). It would give us a real sell versus Big Ten and SEC programs.

Saw this earlier on the WWL, and was quite surprised:

"According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten."

Would love to see Penn St. in the conference, but I would be surprised to see them leave the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Yeah it was in the ESPN article:

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.

Its interesting to read positive reactions from both PSU and ND fans to joining the ACC while adding PSU and ND are probably the addition that not a single fan in the ACC would have a problem with

Yeah it was in the ESPN article:

According to a source close to Notre Dame, the Irish's first choice is to remain as an independent in football and stay in the Big East in all other sports.

If the Irish decide they can't remain as a football independent then the choice would be to pursue the ACC before the Big Ten.

While ND is one of the "national" schools, going ACC would at least extend their reach into the Southeast a bit more. They'd keep the USC game, probably keep a Big 10 game, and probably keep a Service Academy game.

They'd also keep their rivalry with Boston College, and from a non-con perspective they'd have Pitt/Cuse plus the former Big East Three already in the ACC.

While ND is one of the "national" schools, going ACC would at least extend their reach into the Southeast a bit more. They'd keep the USC game, probably keep a Big 10 game, and probably keep a Service Academy game.

They'd also keep their rivalry with Boston College, and from a non-con perspective they'd have Pitt/Cuse plus the former Big East Three already in the ACC.

I guess they'd keep Michigan, USC, and Navy, but that'd be a pretty tough OOC schedule.

Can they do that if they no longer exist?

If the BE hopes to survive, they'll need the lame duck schools out of the way as soon as possible.

Doubt it. I'm sure Cuse and Pitt will sue, BE will countersue, and they'll settle, allowing the two school to come to the ACC earlier than June 2014

Big East Commissioner Marinatto
Marinatto is confident in the future and said, "We may even hold the opening round of our basketball tournament in Greensboro.”

Honestly if we can't get Texas/ Notre Dame/ Penn St I'd rather just stick at 14. Don't think current Big East team upgrades the ACC in any meaningful way.

Big East Commissioner Marinatto

Sure that will go over real well for Johnny and the boys in the Big East.

If UConn joins Cuse, that's two of the biggest draws to the BE tournament now playing in the ACC. Throw in Duke playing there, plus UNC and it's a much more compelling tournament than the scraps left in the BE.

no need to rush. the BE teams that are left arent going anywhere

Last edited:
Back