• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Wow, the fans from other conferences are really putting the full court press on the ND fans as to why the ACC would be a bad fit. Some people are getting nervous. ND wants to remain independent- I don't see them joining the ACC. But people are worried. If the ACC added Penn State and ND or UCONN and ND or Penn State and UCONN, that would be impressive and make some heads turn.

Honestly if we can't get Texas/ Notre Dame/ Penn St I'd rather just stick at 14. Don't think current Big East team upgrades the ACC in any meaningful way.

Most people would say UConn is a good addition, but I think they are a huge gamble honestly. As long as Calhoun is there they will have questionable standards.

UConn and Syracuse will compete post-Calhoun/Boeheim, especially UConn. UConn offers the most classic collegiate athletic environment in the Northeast. They're a fish out of water up there. The whole region is UConn crazy and will do what it takes to make sure they compete in revenue sports. Just look at their football program. Fairly impressive rise in the face of zero tradition and a complete absence of college sports culture. It's not saying much, but UConn would be a much, much better pull than B.C. was.

Getting a kick out of the fact that the WVU fans on that board thinks the ACC would fall all over themselves to take them in.

Rumor is the vote was 8-4 in favor of WVU. I'll leave you to guess who the 4 are.

If Kansas is left scrambling for a conference would anyone else like to see them in the ACC over Rutgers? I know geographically it doesn't make sense but at least their basketball is nationally known and respected.

Don't even worry. I'm currently working the back channels to get Tennessee into the ACC.

Is there anyway the ACC could make it work financially to get ND to give up independence? This thread suggest each school would have to chip in a million dollars, that ND is currently getting around $30 million a year.
http://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=147597681&mid=147597681&sid=961&style=2
Their current TV package is $155M/yr (pre Pitt, Cuse).
B1G is $220M/yr (pre Neb).
Pac 12 is $250M/yr.
SEC $205M/yr (pre TA&M)

Do the math, but the ACC is almost $9M/yr per team behind the bigs. Given what ND currently gets as an independent, and what teams in the B1G, Pac ? and SEC are getting ($18M-$22M), ND would need to get $30+M/yr to give up independence. I just don't see the ACC teams paying a $1M ND tax per team to get us to the number we would need, to make this work, and it would create a venomous atmosphere if we were getting $30M/yr. while the rest of the teams received $15M.

Is there anyway the ACC could make it work financially to get ND to give up independence? This thread suggest each school would have to chip in a million dollars, that ND is currently getting around $30 million a year.
http://notredame.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=335&tid=147597681&mid=147597681&sid=961&style=2

I think this has been said already, but if we get to 16 teams, we have a clause that says we can rework our TV deal. Not likely to get that much more per school, but we will be competitive.

The only way ND comes is if they really feel their other sports teams will struggle without the Big East, enough to cover a decent amount of what they lose. That being said, with 16 teams, the ACC will be adding more bowl money each year - not a ton, but probably something in the range of $10-$12 million. Tack that on with the new TV deal, and we are looking better.

Heck, either way, Wake is going to be making significantly more and that can only help.

It's not about $ for Notre Dame. They have over $6.1 billion in endowment. They don't need the money. What it comes down to is first, they don't want to lose their independence in football, second their NBC contract and finally they have a huge fan base on the east coast.

With conferences jumping up to 14/16 teams the amount of conference games restricts how much flexibility Notre Dame has to schedule teams on the East Coast which in turn limits their exposure recruiting wise and for their fan base. With the ACC Grabbing Cuse and Pitt, the Big 10 has less options for providing that East Coast market. As more teams join super conferences, the less attractive scheduling options are for Notre Dame, thus forcing them to consider joining one of the Conferences.

It has been suggested that Notre Dame jump to the ACC asap before a spot is no longer available.

"The ACC, however, offers everything from the high school football factories of Florida to the academic power of Duke and Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic to the big subway-alum cities stretching from Washington to Boston. That’s especially true if Rutgers came along as the 16th member."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AkRwda5zhuqri5AktyK0n3Q5nYcB?slug=dw-wetzel_notre_dame_should_jump_to_acc_091911

I think this has been said already, but if we get to 16 teams, we have a clause that says we can rework our TV deal. Not likely to get that much more per school, but we will be competitive.

The only way ND comes is if they really feel their other sports teams will struggle without the Big East, enough to cover a decent amount of what they lose. That being said, with 16 teams, the ACC will be adding more bowl money each year - not a ton, but probably something in the range of $10-$12 million. Tack that on with the new TV deal, and we are looking better.

Heck, either way, Wake is going to be making significantly more and that can only help.

Thanks. Even if we can't come up with enough to get ND perhaps there could be enough to lure Penn State? You would think if Penn State and ND came the TV deal would go way up- the ACC would rule the east coast.

Not to mention that once the dust settles, I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC get their own TV Network.

I was just at a Wake alumni event. The speaker gave us a few nuggets on expansion.

1. It happened as fast as it seemed.
2. Wellman was the main person who brought in Syracuse
3. The ACC tv contract can now be renegotiated and will likely yield an additional $3 to $4 million per school.

I was just at a Wake alumni event. The speaker gave us a few nuggets on expansion.

1. It happened as fast as it seemed.
2. Wellman was the main person who brought in Syracuse
3. The ACC tv contract can now be renegotiated and will likely yield an additional $3 to $4 million per school.

Hello, MONORAIL!!

Back