• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Honestly, if the worst that happens is we end up in a conference with Boeheim, K, and Pitino, we will be fine athletically.

Not in 10 years.

Oh, don't get me wrong.... I think they could earn a seat in the playoffs (ala Kent State this year with the BCS), but I don't think they will get an automatic seat.

Not in a 4 team playoff, but when it turns into 8 they will unless they are 7-5.

The reality is the only thing the ACC has going for them right now is of the East Coast Conferences, they are the strongest. From that standpoint one would assume there is always going to be some sort of East Coast Conference. The question is how strong will that conference be in the money grubbing football world?

The problem for the ACC is that the Pac 12, SEC, and Big 1G are obviously conference big dogs at the moment. Texas and OU are the best big brands not in one of the big conferences.

For the ACC, their future depends on whether Texas and OU being big brands means they stay in their own conference (ACC loses) or whether eventually they join another (ACC wins)

The even bigger question for the ACC and future conference re-alignment is whether Texas AD DeLoss Dodds will continue to be satisfied in a Conference that is becoming more and more like the old SWC (and might even have to add more Texas teams like Rice, UTEP, SMU, Houston) or if for the good of his conference, he is willing to put his ego aside and join a bigger conference, or add bigger name teams to his.

I bet on DeLoss' ego which means I think the ACC is safer than people think

It comes down to an ego battle between Texas and UNC. If either drops their ego for the cash, their conference is done.

And I don't think either is going to drop their ego and the ACC will be the 5th conference which may mean not getting an automatic bid into the new system.

I'd be surprised if there were auto bids. The Big Ten would probably go along with that but I'm not sure anyone else would. Certainly not the SEC and the "lesser" conferences

I'd be surprised if there were auto bids. The Big Ten would probably go along with that but I'm not sure anyone else would. Certainly not the SEC and the "lesser" conferences

Yeah no way the SEC agrees to auto bids for any sort of playoff system unless there are multiple at large bids. The SEC would arguably have 3 of the 4 teams if the playoff started this year.

A very good bball conference and a mediocre football conference, but I still believe we will get a spot at the playoffs when it goes to 8 as we would be the strongest non super conference. 60 team are not going to shut out 80+ teams without some sort of circumstance.

Why not? Already two levels of D1 football. Could easily add a 3rd IMO made up of teams like us that are currently FBS and the top FCS teams that have been wanting to jump to FBS but don't have the fanbase, stadium size, etc. I don't want to see it happen, but it certainly seems within the realm of possibility...especially if that's what the NCAA is forced into to keep the big programs from leaving and forming their own org.

The only thing I have learned from the last several pages of this thread is that the West Virginia idiots now have MD assholes helping them rumor bomb the internet with their bullshit

Man I wish the ACC had taken West Virginia when it had the chance. :thumbsup:

OrangeBloods reporting that FSU is "conference shopping" and has reached out to B1G; SEC; Big XII

Link

We should start a rumor that the ACC is combining with the PAC 12. Each conference plays 8 conference games, and two games against the other conference. End of season PAC #1 vs ACC #2, and ACC #1 vs PAC #2 for two bcs bowl bids. We just need a dedicated asshole to spread it around enough for it to gain steam.

Back