• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Mike Brey is saying ND would've joined the Catholic league if they hadn't already placed their other sports in the ACC.

Sounds like the ACC was wise to bring in ND when they did. Doing it now at least keeps open the possibility ND could be brought on as a full member in the future. If the ACC would never welcome them in for just football, then the only way to get ND football in the ACC was to get to them before they could join the Catholic league.

Except Nova brings the Philly TV market.

If the ACC added Nova, then FSU, Clemson, GT, and VT would be gone in 2 seconds. Expansion has to be about football markets and football quality. That's what is driving the money. Nova would be at best 3rd fiddle in Pennsylvania, behind PSU and Pitt, and does nothing to help the ACC's football rep. It has a small alumni base too, which wouldn't help us land better bowl games. There's just zero chance it happens unless the ACC loses more members.

If the ACC added Nova, then FSU, Clemson, GT, and VT would be gone in 2 seconds. Expansion has to be about football markets and football quality. That's what is driving the money. Nova would be at best 3rd fiddle in Pennsylvania, behind PSU and Pitt, and does nothing to help the ACC's football rep. It has a small alumni base too, which wouldn't help us land better bowl games. There's just zero chance it happens unless the ACC loses more members.

Nova could also be a bridge to getting Penn State to defect, though I think that's doubtful. Did you see the article where part of the B1G's motivation to add Maryland was fear of losing PSU?

Nova could also be a bridge to getting Penn State to defect, though I think that's doubtful. Did you see the article where part of the B1G's motivation to add Maryland was fear of losing PSU?

We don't want those pederast enablers anyway.

How does Nova entice PSU to defect? It doesn't bring in any more money for the ACC and its another school in their state (in addition to Pitt who PSU didn't want in the B10 either).

Mike Brey is saying ND would've joined the Catholic league if they hadn't already placed their other sports in the ACC.

Sounds like the ACC was wise to bring in ND when they did. Doing it now at least keeps open the possibility ND could be brought on as a full member in the future. If the ACC would never welcome them in for just football, then the only way to get ND football in the ACC was to get to them before they could join the Catholic league.

More evidence that ND becoming a full member is just a tease.

The ACC remains ahead of the Big East, but behind the rest of the nation.

Brey also thinks this announcement will clear the way for ND and Louisville to go ahead and join the ACC next season(2013) along side Syracuse and Pitt. Wake needs an additional football game- maybe we could add Louisville to the schedule?

PH--

We lost Maryland to the Big Ten in the last three years, and have added Pitt, Syracuse, ND (partially), and Louisville. Clemson and FSU and maybe GTech have flirted with the Big10/SEC and some level
The Big 12 has lost Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC and Colorado to the Pac-12. They added West Virginia and TCU. OU, OSU, Texas, and Texas Tech have flirted on some level with the Pac12, the SEC and maybe the ACC.

With those facts, I just have a hard time seeing the Big12 as a more stable and superior conference.

As I've said before, it comes down to the egos of Texas and UNC.

Interesting article about the legal issues with the 7 teams leaving the Big East.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/co...3/big-east-basketball/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

Particularly the unit's section that discusses $ from NCAA Tourney appearances etc.

"The interesting point is that people focus on the TV dollars," said a Big East official. "Currently our unit dollars as a revenue stream exceed our TV revenue for basketball schools. We generate more dollars from NCAA participation."

As I've said before, it comes down to the egos of Texas and UNC.

UNC has not talked seriously with any other conference. Texas has. In fact, some reports have Texas reaching out to the ACC a year, year and a half ago.

I know TV markets does not equal state populations, but I thought this was interesting:

Big 12 currently includes the following states:

Texas: 26 million people
Oklahoma: 3.8 million
Iowa: 3 million
Kansas: 2.9 million
West Virginia: 1.9 million = 36.6 million

The ACC includes:

Florida: 19 million
New York: 19 million
Pennsylvania: 12.7 million
Georgia: 9.9 million
North Carollina: 9.8 million
Virginia: 8 million
Massachuesetts: 6.6 million
Indiana: 6.5 million
South Carolina: 4.7 million
Kentucky 4.4 million = 104.6 million

Even if you throw out Massachuesetts, Indiana, half of Pennsylvania and 90% of New York, you are left with about 68 million people.

UNC has not talked seriously with any other conference. Texas has. In fact, some reports have Texas reaching out to the ACC a year, year and a half ago.

Not sure of your point. Texas has seriously talked and not made a move. Like I said, it comes down to the egos of Texas and UNC.

And not sure what is interesting about the above. The East Coast has more people than other regions of the country.

PH--

We lost Maryland to the Big Ten in the last three years, and have added Pitt, Syracuse, ND (partially), and Louisville. Clemson and FSU and maybe GTech have flirted with the Big10/SEC and some level
The Big 12 has lost Texas A&M and Missouri to the SEC and Colorado to the Pac-12. They added West Virginia and TCU. OU, OSU, Texas, and Texas Tech have flirted on some level with the Pac12, the SEC and maybe the ACC.

With those facts, I just have a hard time seeing the Big12 as a more stable and superior conference.

re: B12.. and that other school.. Large Red or something.. to BIG?

VCU is about to get screwed again. Just like when the METRO conference dissolved.

The CAA makes far more geographic sense for VCU.

So, ECU, Tulane, Houston, UCF and the others (Do Boise and SDSU go back to MWC?) expected to join the Big East go back to C-USA or form their own mini-crappy conference?

Back