• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Realignment Thread: New B1G divisions

Are you conveniently leaving out FSU/Clemson's discussions with the Big 12 last year (while many seem to think FSU continues those talks)?

This is all speculation. 95% of which came from WVU fans hellbent on destroying the ACC.

I think they would abandon Duke if the situation becomes dire. I think the only way Duke stays linked to UNC, if UNC decides to leave, is if the Big 10 is willing to go to more than 16 teams. Meanwhile, UNC + NC State are much more linked by the legislature, but they would split if both find a comfortable home (Ie: UNC to Big 10, NC State to SEC).

The problem with any of this is why break it up if you don't have to. UNC is comfortable and making money - they aren't in a situation like Maryland where they have been mismanaged and are hemorraging money and hav th ugliest uniforms known to man.

The issue stands now that they could make an additional couple million per year, bu I am not so sure they don't think they might lose some of that in fan attendance to the rivalry games. Guarantee UNC would have many more fans at a Home game versus Wake than a home game versus Purdue, Northwesten, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraske or Iowa. Maryland had no attendance and no real ACC football rivalries, so there was nowhere to go but up. Same is not true for UNC or NC State.

The problem with any of this is why break it up if you don't have to. UNC is comfortable and making money - they aren't in a situation like Maryland where they have been mismanaged and are hemorraging money and hav th ugliest uniforms known to man.

The issue stands now that they could make an additional couple million per year, bu I am not so sure they don't think they might lose some of that in fan attendance to the rivalry games. Guarantee UNC would have many more fans at a Home game versus Wake than a home game versus Purdue, Northwesten, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraske or Iowa. Maryland had no attendance and no real ACC football rivalries, so there was nowhere to go but up. Same is not true for UNC or NC State.

I agree on the first point. I don't think UNC leaves unless something else big happens first (FSU/Clemson/VaTech). I was just responding to the point that I don't necessarily see UNC/Duke tied together or UNC/NC State necessarily going to the same place if the ACC does end up facing a seismic shift.

(Additionally, I don't want to get on the Maryland tangent again, but our football attendance problems are quite recent. We had AD monetary problems well before Fridge's last season/Edsall's tenure. Thanks Deb.)

Nebraska would outdraw just about any game on their schedule. Nebraska fans are showing up if the game is played in Belarus.

How much Texas money are we talking about here? Because I don't really want to invite a bully to the party.

Valid, but then on the flip side, you have this: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/49702/florida-state-to-big-12-buzz-builds

"On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest," Florida State Board of Trustees chairman Andy Haggard told Warchant.com.

Valid, but then on the flip side, you have this: http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/49702/florida-state-to-big-12-buzz-builds

"On behalf of the Board of Trustees I can say that unanimously we would be in favor of seeing what the Big 12 might have to offer. We have to do what is in Florida State's best interest," Florida State Board of Trustees chairman Andy Haggard told Warchant.com.

It was also proven that Andy Haggard had his facts completely wrong. I'm sure it's around page 105 of this thread. ;)

I just went back and looked at the first post of this thread from Sept 2011. It was about the additions of UCF, Houston, SMU, etc. to the Big East. Now look where we are.

From reading the CBSportsline article, sounds like Houston, Tulane, SMU nd ECU may be forced to seek to beg into the Sunbelt if Boise and SDSU decide to stay in the WAC. Also, sounds like Louisville and Rutgers may get to leave the Big East without paying any exit fee. Beginning to look like Louisville may be in the ACC in 2013 - which would give the ACC 15 teams next year in football and 16 in every other sport (with ND). When MD departs in the Summer of 2014, the ACC would be down to 14 for football and 15 overall.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...st-leaving-conference-realignment-connecticut

YUCK. Taking those clowns in would guarantee the doom of the ACC. I have no faith that our administrators are smart enough, but I hope Dook's see that.

That's a pure advocacy piece. UCONN and Cincy don't possess any threat to the ACC. Taking Louisville shored up the ACC's position (ironically, the replacement of MD with LOU may end up being the key move that saves the ACC longterm). The conference that should be sweating bullets is still the Big 12. For all their strengthening over the last two years, they still have the biggest problem-- they have the schools that the SEC, PAC 12 and Big 10 want.

For the future of the ACC, the worry shouldn't be primarily focused on FSU, Clemson and/or GT, because, though they seem the most likely to listen to an offer, at the end of the day they don't really have a better option than the ACC. The SEC can't add any on those schools because of strong current-member objections (same goes for LOU), and the Big 12, in the end, isn't as attractive to them as simply continuing in a strong ACC (due to logistics, rivalries, geographic associations, academics, etc). The only thing that could kill the ACC is an attack on its market-monopoly core. UNC, NCSU, UVA, or VT. These are schools the SEC or Big 10 would snatch up in a heartbeat, the act of which could start a chain reaction (the Big 12 calculus might abruptly change for the ACC southern contingent, should any of those NC/VA schools leave). But so long as those schools remain committed to the conference -- which seems beyond much dispute at this point -- the ACC is solid.

The SEC can't get what they want from the ACC (NC or VA schools), and doesn't want what they can get (thank you to the UF/USC/UGA/KTY voting block!). Given that stability, the Big 12 isn't as compelling an option to the southern ACC trio as simply staying put. The Big 10 wants to stay mainly within their regional footprint (they aren't going after the ACC southern trio, whatever you read, because it makes no sense). The PAC 12 isn't a legitimate threat to the ACC, directly. It's just too far away. But all three of those power conferences want these specific markets: TX, OK, and Kansas. And the Big 12 is the only shop that can offer them. Good luck keeping the wolves at bay.

Last edited:
Back