• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conservative War on Education

The democrats are also a middle if not right middle party in the global scheme.

Democrats are a Center Right party - similar (though possibly even further to the right) to the Christian Democrats in Germany or the Tories in the UK (though the Tories have an odd aristocratic conservatism that the Democrats don't have).

The United States has absolutely no "left". It simply doesn't exist. We have a right wing and a center right wing.

Yes and no. You know how you keep students engaged and interested for the times when rote memorization is important? By mixing up the routine, by getting them discussing things, and by making them feel like there's real world applications to what they're learning. Yes, at the end of the day, of course kids have to fucking learn things, that goes without saying. Accommodating different learning styles isn't even ultimately what I was talking about, but participation trophy to you for trying.

You are contradicting yourself. You are saying that they need to mix things up, foster discussion, and make kids feel like there are real-world applications to things ... but that you aren't talking about accomodating different learning styles. As evidenced every day for the past 100+ years (and thousands of years before that depending on the subject matter), some kids learn just fine through memorization and "traditional" learning styles. So doing what you are proposing is making an adjustment based on perceived learning styles.

You are contradicting yourself. You are saying that they need to mix things up, foster discussion, and make kids feel like there are real-world applications to things ... but that you aren't talking about accomodating different learning styles. As evidenced every day for the past 100+ years (and thousands of years before that depending on the subject matter), some kids learn just fine through memorization and "traditional" learning styles. So doing what you are proposing is making an adjustment based on perceived learning styles.
Is this how you became the man that you are today?

Democrats are a Center Right party - similar (though possibly even further to the right) to the Christian Democrats in Germany or the Tories in the UK (though the Tories have an odd aristocratic conservatism that the Democrats don't have).

The United States has absolutely no "left". It simply doesn't exist. We have a right wing and a center right wing.

Even what is considered "left" by Americans - like the Scandinavian welfare state - isn't even really left. Capitalism has straight up absorbed and destroyed any semblance of an alternative.

I will concede that there is some value in rote memorization of a few things to make life easier - simple arithmetic, spelling, some stuff like that.

first of all, townie's suggested shift to style has research-backed merit, along with year round schooling and longer school days. second of all, memorizing things has its place. i don't see how you can argue it's completely pointless. i don't think anyone really means "no more memorizing things, ever! we're going to sit indian style and hug for 8 hours and talk about feelings!"

first of all, townie's suggested shift to style has research-backed merit, along with year round schooling and longer school days. second of all, memorizing things has its place. i don't see how you can argue it's completely pointless. i don't think anyone really means "no more memorizing things, ever! we're going to sit indian style and hug for 8 hours and talk about feelings!"

dude once you bring research into this, you've completely lost the right

shit, i forgot about #bigscience

never-hate-your-enemies-it-affects-your-judgment.jpg

And like I already said, of course kids still need to actually learn things. I figured that didn't need to be said, but since 2&2 is terrified that kids aren't memorizing things anymore, I guess I should be explicit that experience and discussion based learning really helps with memorization. If you can apply what you have to memorize, you learn it a lot quicker.

2&2 grew up with a periodic table poster on his ceiling.

i'm still anxious to hear more about "someone who literally revolutionized the world based on math skills"

i'm still anxious to hear more about "someone who literally revolutionized the world based on math skills"

And did so before he taught math at all levels.

Did he invent x?

More top-down bullshit republican strategies:

New Education Initiative Replaces K-12 Curriculum With Single Standardized Test

WASHINGTON—Citing the need to measure student achievement as its top priority, the U.S. Department of Education launched a new initiative Thursday to replace the nation’s entire K-12 curriculum with a single standardized test.

According to government officials, the four-hour-long Universal Education Assessment will be used in every public school across the country, will contain identical questions for every student based on material appropriate for kindergarten through 12th grade, and will permanently take the place of more traditional methods such as classroom instruction and homework assignments.

They re-worked the curriculum to put our Nation's history is largely negative light, glossing over the positives and focusing more on the negative aspects of America's founding.

There's plenty of articles w/ a simple google search "AP US History changes"

Also, seem to keep blaming slavery for the civil war, when we all know it was about state rights.

Back