• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

I remember them. We beat Vandy. Then I went to the games where we beat New Mexico and Cal. The Cal game was played in Greensboro. Then we barely beat NC State to make the championship game.

I enjoyed that run, but I do not have interest this year.

We did not lose to Butler.

We got obliterated by Butler before anyone knew who they were.

It would be the same as being down 43-8 to UT Chattanooga now.

Being an ACCT 10 seed and winning on Tuesday and Wednesday involves being a worse team and two straight wins. The NIT involves being a worse team and five straight wins. Both involve not winning the championship.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I watched the games but they weren’t meaningful and didn’t elevate the program. We got Butlerized the next year and Odom left. I don’t remember CP listing the NIT run as a reason he came to Wake.

LOL. The NIT run elevated us to the NCAA tournament the next 5 years. The 2017 first four elevated us to nothing.

But I'm not even arguing that the NIT will elevate us to anything - times are much different now and there is way less year-to-year continuity. I just think watching us win 5 more games would be way more interesting that watching us lose 1.

LOL. The NIT run elevated us to the NCAA tournament the next 5 years. The 2017 first four elevated us to nothing.

But I'm not even arguing that the NIT will elevate us to anything - times are much different now and there is way less year-to-year continuity. I just think watching us win 5 more games would be way more interesting that watching us lose 1.

LOL^2. After the NIT, we lost to Butler, the 2001 equivalent of losing in Dayton. Then, losing to Butler elevated us to 4 consecutive better NCAA appearances.

I remember them. We beat Vandy. Then I went to the games where we beat New Mexico and Cal. The Cal game was played in Greensboro. Then we barely beat NC State to make the championship game.

I enjoyed that run, but I do not have interest this year.

Was 2000 also the year that they had the cameras on the team during the selection show and we did not get in the tournament? Whatever year that was, we had an RPI of 31, which for many years after that was the lowest RPI to not get in the tournament.

LOL^2. After the NIT, we lost to Butler, the 2001 equivalent of losing in Dayton. Then, losing to Butler elevated us to 4 consecutive better NCAA appearances.

Yeah. Because it got us a new coach…

Was 2000 also the year that they had the cameras on the team during the selection show and we did not get in the tournament? Whatever year that was, we had an RPI of 31, which for many years after that was the lowest RPI to not get in the tournament.

I think yes. It really felt like an injustice.

We started the next season kicking ass. Would you believe the wheels came off down the stretch? Our slide actually started earlier that year than usual.

Was Josh hurt during that session or the next? Or both? I know Craig was in a sling during that one. That Oregon game was painful. I had to listen by dial up internet at my parents house during break bc it wasn’t on TV. Painful.

Playing in the NIT is like playing in a mediocre bowl game at 6-6. It's not the same as a NYE bowl, but I'm still going to get drunk and have a blast watching my team play a few more entertaining games

Playing in the NIT is like playing in a mediocre bowl game at 6-6. It's not the same as a NYE bowl, but I'm still going to get drunk and have a blast watching my team play a few more entertaining games

exactly. The Orange Bowl (loss) was a memory of a lifetime. I don't care about the Birmingham Bowl.

We went to the NCAA tourney for 5 straight years after that. How did we build on the 2017 first 4 success?

Oh, I know this one. We won the NIT, then embarrassed ourselves in the ACCT vs. MD and followed that up with Butler the next week, let our coach go to USC. Yes I can see how that NIT experience paid off.

If we are capable of winning the NIT we are capable of winning in Dayton. I'd rather take the risk on Dayton.

If we are capable of winning the NIT we are capable of winning in Dayton. I'd rather take the risk on Dayton.

Of course. Everyone would take our chances in Dayton. But that's not the question that was posed.

Was Josh hurt during that session or the next? Or both? I know Craig was in a sling during that one. That Oregon game was painful. I had to listen by dial up internet at my parents house during break bc it wasn’t on TV. Painful.

That was Skip year 1. That's when we learned about high ankle sprains.

If this team were to win the NIT, they’d secure the most wins in a single season in the history of the program. That would be hard to imagine as possible to accomplish and not even make the tournament.

I do not remember that. In 1999 and 2000 the ACC only got 3 teams in, I think. 1999 we would have been the 4th team. We thought if we beat NC State in the ACC Tournament we were in, but we lost after what I recall was a good start to the game. That was the ACC tournament game that upset me the most before this most recent one. In 2000 we won a game, I think against UNC, then played fairly well but lost to Duke.

If this team were to win the NIT, they’d secure the most wins in a single season in the history of the program. That would be hard to imagine as possible to accomplish and not even make the tournament.

Is 27 our most wins ever?

In the 2000 NIT we beat Vandy, New Mexico, Cal, NC State, and Notre Dame. NC State lost a 3rd place game to Penn State (LOL) - tears were flowing and tiers developing.

Back