• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

We exceeded expectations all season until the BC game. It is borderline criminal that all three of Rutgers, Indiana and Michigan got into the tournament. However, even if they had done what was right, the Deacs would not have been the team that snuck in. It would have been someone else, after the BC fiasco. Let's appreciate the fact that we are still playing in March. I'd love to win the NIT, and springboard it to a great year next year!

I do not think losing to Clemson, like we always do, without their top 2 players is exceeding anything.

Blowing the Miami game at home is one thing, but Clemson, we were not even competitive.

Agree about Rutgers/MI/IU...that's a farce.

We had a 25-6 regular season and 26-7 (or 27-7) team headed into the NCAA tournament...and just blew it down the stretch.

Time to gel and confidence seems nice, but it didn't help win key games down the stretch.

Having time to gel and build confidence doesn’t really matter when you are going to run and entirely different group of guys in the court next year.

Having said that winning the NIT would be decent.

Having time to gel and build confidence doesn’t really matter when you are going to run and entirely different group of guys in the court next year.

Assuming you bring back the Raging Bull, Monsanto and maybe one of the super seniors, I would disagree.

Bad non-conference schedules and lack of quality wins have and will always be reasons for getting punished by the committee, so we hit quite the double whammy there.

We absolutely need the ACC to improve. It's something I've posted about before -- in basketball particularly we shouldn't look at our conference mates as much as our competitors as their success very much helps us out. The phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats" is perhaps never truer than in CBB -- being able to pluck quality wins off of each other based on work done by the conference in Nov/Dec is the surest way to mutually benefit and get a ton of teams into the tournament.

The ACC was great in 2016-17, we finished in 10th place (and scheduled up in the non-con), and danced. It was bad this year, we finished fifth, and we did not and apparently did not come all that close

100% wsc8521s. It was the combo of weak occ and weak ACC that ended us. All the other P5s that made it had 1 of those right. We can't depend on the ACC being a strong conference in the coming years so we have to schedule tough. Michigan did both and that is why they got in, even though they lost 14 games.

100% wsc8521s. It was the combo of weak occ and weak ACC that ended us. All the other P5s that made it had 1 of those right. We can't depend on the ACC being a strong conference in the coming years so we have to schedule tough. Michigan did both and that is why they got in, even though they lost 14 games.

and back to 2017 - WF played a tough non-con, and went 0-3 vs. the top 50 teams non-con. Those losses helped, because they boost the non-con SOS, and losing close games (two of the three losses were close road losses) to top teams helps the metrics. WF also played and beat Bucknell, Charleston, and Richmond, top 100 teams that boosted the non-con SOS but which any bubble team should expect to beat. Bucknell and Charleston have fallen off a cliff, but we need to schedule teams like that moving forward.

I believe Ph was referring to our powerpuff early season schedule.

Bad non-conference schedules and lack of quality wins have and will always be reasons for getting punished by the committee, so we hit quite the double whammy there. We absolutely need the ACC to improve. It's something I've posted about before -- in basketball particularly we shouldn't look at our conference mates as much as our competitors as their success very much helps us out.

ALL OF THIS. This is overall why we're not playing in the NCAA's this week. Fix this and there's a good chance we're in the NCAA's next year. Only thing I will add is if you get a signature win it can make up for lack of quality wins. Winning at Duke would have been that.

I blame all of this on Duke and that shitty goaltend call. We beat Duke at Cameron and none of this matters

so fuck Duke

So let me get this straight...

We've been told by many that the ACC is straight garbage and should be evaluated as such, yet Duke gets a preposterous 2 seed after looking awful the last few weeks including 2 blowout losses and UNC gets an unwarranted 8 seed. I don't get it. Well on second thought I do get it. Anyone in the ACC not named Duke or UNC gets penalized.

We've been told by many that the ACC is straight garbage and should be evaluated as such, yet Duke gets a preposterous 2 seed after looking awful the last few weeks including 2 blowout losses and UNC gets an unwarranted 8 seed. I don't get it. Well on second thought I do get it. Anyone in the ACC not named Duke or UNC gets penalized.

Exactly. Screw Duke. Lets turn this into a Duke hate thread. Will be much more fun

The 8 seed presumably has to play the 1 seed on the first weekend of the tournament.

Only one 8 seed ('14 KY) has made the Final Four in the past decade. It's not exactly a prized position.

I'll be cheering for Hokies, Miami and....grosss....but ND

Duke and UNC can burn

ND is almost (again- almost) below the other two at this point for me. Trash team, trash fans and literally nothing to back it up.

The 8 seed presumably has to play the 1 seed on the first weekend of the tournament.

Only one 8 seed ('14 KY) has made the Final Four in the past decade. It's not exactly a prized position.

I'm aware. I just meant in general how ridiculously high they ascended from being on the bubble to an 8 seed. I guess losing to Q4 Pitt at home and getting wrecked by VT is overlooked when you can beat Duke. But yeah, they aren't making it past Baylor.

ND is almost (again- almost) below the other two at this point for me. Trash team, trash fans and literally nothing to back it up.

It's tough. Definitely not a fun year to "cheer for the ACC".

We just need some cred.

I don't get the point of pulling for the ACC, fuck em, hope they lose.

Duke and UNC will be overrated next year regardless, and the rest of the teams will have to prove themselves.

Considering I made a half-assed attempt to watch Wake play this year and was somewhat entertained, while not watching more than a couple of minutes of other teams play college basketball, I will be a very casual observer of the NCAA tournament yet again. I won't spend any time rooting for ACC teams, just let the chips fall where they may and let Wake collect a check at the end for their efforts. If there's something compelling happening I'll probably try to tune in or I'll leave the game on while hanging out or channel surfing.

I won't make any effort to watch our NIT games before the quarterfinals either.

Yeah who gives a fuck about the ACC in the tournament this year when next years perception of the conference will 100% be what teams do with their OOC schedule and rest of the season. Nobody was like oh shit that Summit league sure is competitive this year just because Oral Roberts made the elite 8 and was a basket from the final four last year.

cheer for VT and Miami to win games in the NCAA tournament? No thanks.

Hey Hokies and Canes, how about next year you beat Dayton, so the ACC isn't 2-9 vs. the A-10. And go ahead and flame out ASAP, thank you.

Would also like to see Ohio State lose. They managed to lose 11 games and still finish Top 30 in NET, gifting Quad 1 wins to Rutgers, Indiana, Michigan, and Xavier along the way.

Back