• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

You cannot take Michigan over Wake Forest. If you leave Wake out, there is no way in hell you include Michigan.

Sorry but this is wrong, Mich resume is considerably better than Wake's - it's not that close.

Mich has 6 wins against teams in the Tourney including 3 on the road. They also only have one loss to a Quad 3 team and only 2 losses to non Tourney teams overall.
Their SOS is also one of the best in the country.
By every metric the Committee cares about Mich resume is better than Wake's. That's just the way it is.
Heck, I don't even like Mich but it is really easy to see that their resume is better than Wake's if you look at both of them.

Has the spring football game been announced? I'm getting ready for the Clemson game between two undefeated teams.

Team lacked mental toughness. Only close wins were against teams we now know are trash. If CBS had no heart they should have played the clip of Alondes pitching a tantrum after the charge call with 5 secs left vs BC as they cut to commercial. Most bizarre reaction by a player in a game I’ve ever seen especially when tied and can still win. Seems this team not built for pressure,

Wait, not mentally tough? Don't say it's so.

Yeah not even first 4 means beating BC still out. Had to beat Miami.

Yeah Clemson loss hurt more then we realized.

Hopefully ACC is better next year and gets more respect. Also have to play a tougher OOC schedule in the future (I don’t fault Forbes for that based on what we had going into this season).

This would be more true if dook was a 3 and UNC a 10. Not sure how you can show respect to those two and zero respect to VT.

Obviously I'm saying respect to the ACC beyond the brothers in blue.

Sorry but this is wrong, Mich resume is considerably better than Wake's - it's not that close.

Mich has 6 wins against teams in the Tourney including 3 on the road. They also only have one loss to a Quad 3 team and only 2 losses to non Tourney teams overall.
Their SOS is also one of the best in the country.
By every metric the Committee cares about Mich resume is better than Wake's. That's just the way it is.

How about wins. They have 17. That shouldn't be enough. Big 10 got completely overrated early.

We need to root for the ACC teams in the tourney. Hopefully the story is that ACC outperforms and the other P5a are overrated.

How about wins. They have 17. That shouldn't be enough. Big 10 got completely overrated early.

Big 10 gets overrated every year then shits the bed in the tournament. All their teams will lose early again this year.

Alright, I've made my peace. We have shown flashes but just needed to do more. Not even being in the first four out helps me accept it. I'm turning the page to the NIT because even that has been a foreign experience for us. Either our players have a sense of chagrined determination or deflated resentment. I'm guessing the former and we'll see in a couple of days.

We need to root for the ACC teams in the tourney. Hopefully the story is that ACC outperforms and the other P5a are overrated.

Doesn't matter. Big 10 chokes in tournament every year, and they still get overrated.

That was my entire point. No way in hell 17 total wins is enough to justify them being in the tournament. None.

Gotta keep the perspective that we won six games last year and had a completely new roster. That influenced so much, beginning with the OOC that we played.

It's only year two of Forbes and we just locked him up long term. A lot of valuable lessons learned this year that I'm confident will not be problems moving forward. Dude is so connected in the CBB world that getting quality OOC games should not be a problem.

There are definitely teams that used NIT runs as a springboard to bigger things, Wichita State is one that jumps to mind, they won it in 2011, were a 5 seed in 2012 and were in the Final Four and nearly beat the eventual champs in 2013. Hopefully we can do something similar

Hope this is true. Between doing unbelievably well with talent obtained through the transfer portal, and the ACC being down, this felt like the year to do something rather than a year to build on. Especially given the high roster turnover that comes with building a team using transfers.

Wins only matter in so much as they help your computer ranking. I agree with the committee. Wakes resume is shit. We have 3 Wins over tourney teams and no wins over team better than an 8. Just not good enough at all. The committee has always rewarded losses against good teams more than Wins against shit teams and that is what wake built its resume on. And the acc was garbage this year. It wasn't fatigue its that acc teams sucked during their ooc schedule

Yeah Clemson loss hurt more then we realized.

Hopefully ACC is better next year and gets more respect. Also have to play a tougher OOC schedule in the future (I don’t fault Forbes for that based on what we had going into this season).

We knew it hurt. We know it made it harder to get the 4 seed. We knew we didn’t have enough win. We just thought we would win an ACC Tournament game.

Will heavily root against Duke and UNC, outside of that it's just expansion ACC. Those teams can suck it. ND has a good class incoming. We don't need any other ACC teams having success.

It's been plenty clear for years that #wins overall is of minor significance. What is important is how many good wins you have.
IF you have a schedule like Wake (or ND) you have almost no shot at a bid unless you win most of your 'good win' games. Wake did not.

I said on a different board a month ago that Wake was a team that was in danger of being a 20+ win team that does not get a bid because its resume was an empty calorie resume. There just is very little on it for the committee to look at and say this team deserves to be in the Tourney.

I would have had Mich as a First Four team, but there was little doubt in my mind they would get a bid based on their resume.

Wake had a schedule that was built to try to get an NIT bid and that is what will happen.
It is interesting after all the talk the last couple of days that neither Wake or Xavier was even first four out.
It's clear Wake had to beat BC to even be in consideration and probably needed that 2nd round game to be safe. Also, I think VT was probably out without winning the ACC (which is what happened to TX A&M today).

If you are a bubble team going into the Conference tournament and you lose a 1st round game your odds of getting in are very low as some of those teams are going to win games and they will get chosen instead.

Will heavily root against Duke and UNC, outside of that it's just expansion ACC. Those teams can suck it. ND has a good class incoming. We don't need any other ACC teams having success.

ACC teams having some success in the tournament will mean that much more respect for Wake when Wake beats them next season.

Back