• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Consolidated Bracketology Thread 3/12/23 updates

Will heavily root against Duke and UNC, outside of that it's just expansion ACC. Those teams can suck it. ND has a good class incoming. We don't need any other ACC teams having success.

I hate them all too, but not sure it helps for them all to flame out in the first round.

It's been plenty clear for years that #wins overall is of minor significance. What is important is how many good wins you have.
IF you have a schedule like Wake (or ND) you have almost no shot at a bid unless you win most of your 'good win' games. Wake did not.

I said on a different board a month ago that Wake was a team that was in danger of being a 20+ win team that does not get a bid because its resume was an empty calorie resume. There just is very little on it for the committee to look at and say this team deserves to be in the Tourney.

I would have had Mich as a First Four team, but there was little doubt in my mind they would get a bid based on their resume.

Wake had a schedule that was built to try to get an NIT bid and that is what will happen.
It is interesting after all the talk the last couple of days that neither Wake or Xavier was even first four out.
It's clear Wake had to beat BC to even be in consideration and probably needed that 2nd round game to be safe. Also, I think VT was probably out without winning the ACC (which is what happened to TX A&M today).

If you are a bubble team going into the Conference tournament and you lose a 1st round game your odds of getting in are very low as some of those teams are going to win games and they will get chosen instead.

No shit, dude. We know all of this and have been discussing it for weeks. Let us just be disappointed Wake fans.

All I can say, at least I pulled hard for VT last night and enjoyed seeing kaye lose another 'last game' and it didn't cost us squat.

Alright, I've made my peace. We have shown flashes but just needed to do more. Not even being in the first four out helps me accept it. I'm turning the page to the NIT because even that has been a foreign experience for us. Either our players have a sense of chagrined determination or deflated resentment. I'm guessing the former and we'll see in a couple of days.

I see the latter

ACC teams having some success in the tournament will mean that much more respect for Wake when Wake beats them next season.

No it won’t. Oregon State made a run in the tourney last year and our win over them didn’t mean shit. However ACC teams do in the tourney will have no bearing on how they are perceived next year. ACC teams (including us) need to schedule and beat decent to good OOC teams. That is how the conference will get more respect.

Forbes press conference tomorrow should be interesting. Doubt he will have much to say tonight.

depressed

Alright, I've made my peace. We have shown flashes but just needed to do more. Not even being in the first four out helps me accept it. I'm turning the page to the NIT because even that has been a foreign experience for us. Either our players have a sense of chagrined determination or deflated resentment. I'm guessing the former and we'll see in a couple of days.

I see the latter

ACC teams having some success in the tournament will mean that much more respect for Wake when Wake beats them next season.
I hate them all too, but not sure it helps for them all to flame out in the first round.
I think all matters is the ACC performing well OOC next year, don't give two shits about our rivals having success in the NCAAT. Example 1: Big Televen.

Lunardi seems ticked. Had Wyoming in and Texas A&M out.

His last 12-16 teams was crap when you add seeding in.

Ironically he dropped Wake to 5th team out.

No it won’t. Oregon State made a run in the tourney last year and our win over them didn’t mean shit. However ACC teams do in the tourney will have no bearing on how they are perceived next year. ACC teams (including us) need to schedule and beat decent to good OOC teams. That is how the conference will get more respect.

Yep. And Jim Phillips needs to make this decree from on high. This season was an embarrassment for the entire conference.

I don't think the advanced stats work. Essentially the number of bids a conference gets is locked in by January. After that all the changes happen in conference but a conference can't improve overall as any team improving hurts another team in the conference.

Forbes beating his chest about a 30 win season (this ain’t ETSU) 3 weeks ago was a horrible move.

If you are surprised by this - with 350th OOC schedule and shit all over ourselves against Clemson without their two best players and then against an absolutely pitiful BC squad (not to mention the tourney champ is an 11 seed) - you need a reality check. Worlds better than we have been but still a blip on the radar. Long way to go.

I don’t agree with this. This particular team has juice and can beat anybody. In fact it was a very consistent team all year. Couldn’t defend off the dribble and too many turnovers, but The upside was just huge for this team.

This is even more structural to the ACC and the landscape overall than losing against BC.

Unfortunate, because this is definitely one of the best 40 or so teams in the country.

I don't think the advanced stats work. Essentially the number of bids a conference gets is locked in by January. After that all the changes happen in conference but a conference can't improve overall as any team improving hurts another team in the conference.
how does this mean advanced stats don't work? Yeah your conference has to perform well out of conference. That is how it works. If they don't it means your conference will get less teams. How is this a bad thing. Did you watch the tourneys this week? Iowa would crush Miami

how does this mean advanced stats don't work? Yeah your conference has to perform well out of conference. That is how it works. If they don't it means your conference will get less teams. How is this a bad thing. Did you watch the tourneys this week? Iowa would crush Miami

Because conference strength is locked in by January. No one plays out of conference games after that.

HEY FORBES--20 IS GOOD-25 IS GREAT--30 IS SUPERIOR I GUESS 23 MEANS NO NCAA TOURNEY

Because conference strength is locked in by January. No one plays out of conference games after that.
And? What's your point? Advanced stats or not the only way to make your conference look good is to win out of conference games. The ACC did not this year and deserves what it got. What were we against the a 10? 2 and 9 or something?

Back