• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conspiracy Theories

Think about tires. You honestly think with all the technology we have companies couldn't make tires that don't continually wear out? Of course they could.

They just have no incentive to because it would nearly put them out of business.

Same idea with cell phones and other forms of technology.

I remember reading a few years back about a new wheel prototype that had received lots of testing from one of the major manufacturers. It was basically a shock absorbing wheel that didn't require an actual inflatable tire to function. The article went on about how within three years, that would be what you would be seeing on the road.

Not saying it's related, this post just reminded me of that.

I'm guessing the OP listened to Diane Rehm today.

Caught the end of it. Thought it was good.

I guess I wasn't the only one listening to the NPR show on conspiracy theories today.

I saw some 9/11 show with clear pictures of plane parts in the pentagon wreckage. Unmistakeable engine, fuselage parts. Not to mention interviews with the parking attendants and others milling about that saw the whole thing. They only showed one video surveillance tape, I think from the parking gate, which was like a frame per second or so...so you only see a shadow and the next frame is a huge fireball. I think that video definitely added to the conspiracy theories.

I was recently involved in a pretty heavy conversation about all this stuff and as a result was given the movies 'Loose Change' and 'Zeitgeist' to watch. I have yet to do so, but plan to soon.

My boyfriend is pretty skeptical about lots of things and we have some interesting conversations about stuff... I guess I can understand why people believe things the way they do, I don't necessarily agree or disagree. Is it wrong to not want to form an opinion one way or the other? That's my argument. I am happy to listen to whatever, not necessarily ignorantly ... it's just easier than trying to understand how people could sacrifice so much life/resources/etc when we're all to be of the impression that they are serving us.
I don't know how to explain myself without sounding like a blissfully ignorant dolt. I recognize other possibilities, I just chose not to invest my emotions in a belief one way or the other.

...this is mainly just talking about how I feel with regards to 9/11.

There were parts of a friend of mine splattered all over the Pentagon, and there were plenty of people who saw the plane swoop over I-395, so STFU about this lunatic conspiracy theory.

Some high ranking officials with some pretty astounding statements. Wiki article.

Roosevelt's administrative assistant about FDR's reaction to the attack: The blow was heavier than he had hoped it would necessarily be...But the risks paid off; even the loss was worth the price.

US Secretary of War at the time "entered in his diary the famous and much-argued statement - that he had met with President Roosevelt to discuss the evidence of impending hostilities with Japan, and the question was 'how we should maneuver them [the Japanese] into the position of firing the first shot without allowing too much danger to ourselves.'"

Lots of other stuff, too.

The thought was that the bases in the Philippines would be attacked (as they were) and that would be enough to get us into the war as "our boys" came under fire. No military/political leader, especially one as proNavy as FDR was, would ever intentionally lose an entire fleet in dock and two air corps on the landing strips.

they might when it was a fleet of aged battleships in the age of the carrier

Age of the carrier wasn't cemented until Midway. Plus, had the attack gone as planned then we would have lost the three carriers that we did have in the Pacific along with all the support ships they needed at the time

"Ain't no money in the cure, the money's in the medicine!"

As someone who's worked in pharmaceutical R&D I actually believe there's a degree of truth to what Chris Rock is saying here. There's a lot of bureaucratic bullshit to deal with in drug discovery, and unfortunately the big pharma companies sometimes make decisions to benefit their bottom lines more than their patients.

Osama still alive.

note i typed obama by accident, but caught myself before submitting

Age of the carrier wasn't cemented until Midway. Plus, had the attack gone as planned then we would have lost the three carriers that we did have in the Pacific along with all the support ships they needed at the time

How convenient

Think about tires. You honestly think with all the technology we have companies couldn't make tires that don't continually wear out? Of course they could.

Sometimes it becomes very obvious that Wake is a liberal arts school and definitely not an engineering school.

How convenient

LOL I know you're goading me but the historian in me has a hard time not biting. Of the carriers based in Pearl when it was attacked:
USS Enterprise: survived the war and is the most famous AC of the war
USS Lexington: Sunk at Coral Sea. Was a reconfigured battleship
USS Saratoga: Survived the war & was used for testing the effects of an atomic bomb on naval vessels.

All other carriers at that time:
USS Yorktown: Based in Norfolk, VA. Sunk at Midway
USS Ranger: Based in Norfolk. Survived the war. Was the first true aircraft carrier built
USS Wasp: Based in Norfolk. Sunk in 1942 by US forces due to irreparable damage
USS Hornet: Shakedown cruise as she was commissioned in October 1941. Sunk in 1942 and is the last aircraft carrier that we lost in action to date.

Sometimes it becomes very obvious that Wake is a liberal arts school and definitely not an engineering school.

I took a summer school chemistry class at uncc back in the late 90s. The professor would go on these rants about the oil companies. He said in the 1960s he worked on technology for a carburetor that would get a big cadillac 50+ mpg. Tested it on a race track with the a/c on full blast and everything. But the big oil companies stuffed it because they would lose too much money. He went on to say that they also controlled stop-light technology. That we could easily coordinate lights to get around much more efficiently, but big oil liked stop-and-go traffic because it used more gas. At first I was like hmmmmmmmm, but he seemed kind of nuts by the end of it.

ETA: oops. meant to quote the tire post.

Last edited:
FDR knew the Pearl Harbor attack was coming.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Wilson knew that the Lusitania was going to get hit also. Most conspiracy theorist believe that pretty much every war the US has entered in the past 100-150 years was started by something that could've been easily prevented or was made up (Gulf of Tonkin incident, Weapons of Mass Destruction). I saw this conspiracy theorist documentary a while ago and it really freaked me out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist though.

Back