• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus: How's It Affecting Your Work/Income?

Coronavirus: How's it affecting your work/income

• I am working and being paid as mostly as before.

Votes: 36 39.1%
  • I am working a lot more from home with same or nearly same pay.

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • My salary/income has been or is likely to be cut but I think my work/business will survive.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • I’ve lost or expect to lose my job/my business is going under.

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
I travel a lot for work but have not been on a plane since late February. We are able to probably operate at 80% remotely. Even with all the tools out there in person collaboration is clearly the best.

my company was kicking around the idea of going full-time remote in 18 months or so, but this is probably going to make that shift a certainty and we'll probably never go back to full-time office work

Big international bird science conference in Puerto Rico this coming August was cancelled and they are trying to organize an online conference. I was supposed to present on a new project modeling black rail populations to inform the endangered species listing status. Bummed, but it’s the right call. I almost invariably get sick from conferences when there isn’t a pandemic.

I hope it becomes standard. People who want to work from home and can do it effectively shouldn’t be dragged into some office.

How much of your weekly travel work could be accomplished remotely?

50% maybe.

Expansion of money supply plus shortage of goods and services is an inflationary event.

Depressed wages & depressed availability of credit is a deflationary event. Certain items like food shortages could be inflationary, but I'd think most non-essential goods and services are going to see some big price drops. Commodity prices seem to generally be falling. Oil/Lumber/Steel, etc. You'll probably be able to get some pretty good deals on golf clubs in the near future. Rents also really seem to be tanking with half the country out of a job. I see a place down the street from me listed at $3,500/mo in February down to $2,850 now. That's fast.

There is no textbook case to describe this one. We are gonna see some shit.

As someone who wants to buy a house later this year, I would benefit from some downward pressure on housing costs and interest rates.

There is no textbook case to describe this one. We are gonna see some shit.

As someone who wants to buy a house later this year, I would benefit from some downward pressure on housing costs and interest rates.

Agreed, as someone who only got interested in economics from the financial crisis and then got hooked on some economic blogs and who would have been wrong tremendously had I had the money to short the market the past 10 years, this one is certainly interesting. It seems like the rich keep getting richer no matter what. Seems like the only way to end that is violence.

Agreed, as someone who only got interested in economics from the financial crisis and then got hooked on some economic blogs and who would have been wrong tremendously had I had the money to short the market the past 10 years, this one is certainly interesting. It seems like the rich keep getting richer no matter what. Seems like the only way to end that is violence.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We were pretty early in working from home, which I'm thankful for all things considered. It's been about 6 weeks or so now. Corporate just announced a 2 week furlough for all salaried employees which luckily won't impact me but it's hard to imagine we'll be in the office any time soon all things considered. I'm in a direct sales role with a pretty long sales cycle, so far have not been impacted with workload but from our 2 month look ahead yesterday seems like quoted work is about to slow down considerably.

I work at the Thomas Bus manufacturing plant in High Point (Fairfield rd.) and we've slowed considerably. We just started back last week after being off for 1 month due to someone having the virus at one of the other plants. They shut everything down with the exception of our plant (volunteers) and a few others so they could implement new ways to build buses with social distancing.

Our plant hasn't changed much in that regard. Our immediate future doesn't look good, we've had more orders cancelled in April than ever before. Normally this time of year we are working 6 days a week 9 or 10 hours a day to get customer buses done for the upcoming school year. We are pretty much on 40 hours a week (which I'm still thankful for) right now. Looks to be a very slow year for us along with a lot of other companies. I'm thankful at this point to only have had to draw unemployment for one week.

Back