• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Survival of the fittest.

27vW6qr.gif

Good grief. Not to pile on, but birdman really misses the point here. Sounds like Rush Limbaugh.

I am literally asking what the point is. So help me understand the panic. IckerDeac provides some perspective. Palmba's numbers seem to over estimate the risk of death by age 50 because once you get it and survive you're immune. There is no annually repeated exposure and mortality risk for >96% of the people that contract it. Plus these things always have a higher mortality and risk initially but once a vaccine is developed in about a year the risk goes way down. Remember SARS and MERS? Is it worse than the flu? I can't find numbers directly comparing the two the but 10,000 die annually in the US from the Flu.

Last edited:
The good news is those of us who survive might see higher wages after we remove the corpses.

I am literally asking what the point is. So help me understand the panic. IckerDeac provides some perspective. Palmba's numbers seem to over estimate the risk of death by age 50 because once you get it you're and survive you're immune. There is no annually repeated exposure and mortality risk for >86% of the people that contract it. Plus these things always have a higher mortality and risk initially but once a vaccine is developed in about a year the risk goes way down. Remember SARS and MERS? Is it worse than the flu? I can't find numbers directly comparing the two the but 10,000 die annually in the US from the Flu.

i also have wondered the same thing as the birdman. seems like a lot of fearmongering to sell papers or the US media/doctors who the media interviews are lying and or wrong ?

If it's not contained, the Olympics would make it a lot worse although I'm not sure how that works with the seasonality of the virus.

I guess the spread would greatly increase and the spectators would be at risk. My first thought though was, "Olympic athletes are literally the healthiest people alive, their risk is extremely low." Narrow view on my part. Sorry.

How come I'm not immune to the flu this year since I got it last year?

I guess the spread would greatly increase and the spectators would be at risk. My first thought though was, "Olympic athletes are literally the healthiest people alive, their risk is extremely low." Narrow view on my part. Sorry.

Yes the spectators would be at risk, and then they would return home to every corner of the globe

This may have been stated already but the concern with Covid 19 is that it hits the sweet spot of deadly, but not so deadly that it kills every host quickly (like Ebola) which makes containment much easier.

I would think we’ll see refinement of the mortality statistics, particularly the impact that smoking has on the mortality rate

How come I'm not immune to the flu this year since I got it last year?

Flu evolves rapidly and regularly jumps as new strains from wild bird populations to humans. Corona viruses are a different kind of virus that typically don't evolve rapidly. It is in the same class of viruses as SARS, which seem to come from fruit bats.

Markets are also reacting to loss of production if this thing spreads through the US. Remember we have shitty healthcare access for poor folks, awful childcare support systems, and we’re generally bad at washing our hands.

Corona virus mortality rates are really quite low. Less that one half of a percent of people under the age of 50 that contract the disease die. There have been 0 fatalities for children under the age of 10. Total mortality is approximately 3.4% of cases and most of the fatalities are associated with patients that had other complicating pre-existing conditions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coron...DCcKhkMIssiKJE1S18d0m_740ia3inlemZk9nbQ#ref-1

I hate to be insensitive to the moralities, but why is the world freaking out about this disease? 13% stock market crash and canceling the Olympics seems like a bit of an over reaction.

Low compared to what?

We don't really know the mortality rate yet, seems a lot of variation in what's being reported. It's probably high compared to the typical influenza. Probably not as high as MERS or SARS. And it seems pretty highly contagious.

Yea, it's not the plague. And, yes our news industry is probably overhyping this. Somewhat (?). At the same time, it's real and fairly serious. However, it's not going to wipe out humanity.

No reason to not stay abreast of its spread and effects and whatever can be reasonably done to minimize its impacts.

Good grief. Not to pile on, but birdman really misses the point here. Sounds like Rush Limbaugh.

It's no bird flu.

Survival of the fittest.

27vW6qr.gif

Yeah. The problem is people from all over the world flying back and forth from Tokyo for over a month. That greatly would accelerate everyone's exposure.

Markets are also reacting to loss of production if this thing spreads through the US. Remember we have shitty healthcare access for poor folks, awful childcare support systems, and we’re generally bad at washing our hands.

Yeah. It's interesting to see the wealthiest people panicking about loss of production due to their own shitty lack of support for workers.

It's no bird flu.

Yeah. The problem is people from all over the world flying back and forth from Tokyo for over a month. That greatly would accelerate everyone's exposure.

Yeah. It's interesting to see the wealthiest people panicking about loss of production due to their own shitty lack of support for workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back