• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wealthy people have had the means to protect their health, presumably have fewer comorbidities, and smoke at a lower rate; therefore they have a better outlook if they do contract Covid-19

wealthy people have had the means to protect their health, presumably have fewer comorbidities, and smoke at a lower rate; therefore they have a better outlook if they do contract Covid-19

Low compared to what?

We don't really know the mortality rate yet, seems a lot of variation in what's being reported. It's probably high compared to the typical influenza. Probably not as high as MERS or SARS. And it seems pretty highly contagious.

Yea, it's not the plague. And, yes our news industry is probably overhyping this. Somewhat (?). At the same time, it's real and fairly serious. However, it's not going to wipe out humanity.

No reason to not stay abreast of its spread and effects and whatever can be reasonably done to minimize its impacts.

Did you know that RSV killed 2% of patients under the age of 5 in 2017? 60,000 deaths out 3 million hospitalization cases for patients under 5. There were no Olympics to cancel that year but I don't remember the Dow falling 3000 points in three days. My daughter had RSV in 2007 as a 3 month old, almost died and we spent 3 days in the hospital with her in an elevated oxygen environment, I'd never heard of RSV before. I am just floating the possibility that the media likes to freak us out, and asking for some evidence that his corona virus outbreak is some how actually really bad, especially when compared to other illnesses that we deal with on a regular basis. The idea that it's a media conspiracy to oust Trump from office is preposterous, but it certainly will increase add sales at CNN.com.

^adding to this...the mortality rates are from late January - and they don't appear to be adjusted for smoking prevalence (best stat I can find is that in China >40% of adult males smoke, and they smoke a lot), and the victims live in China, which generally has an air pollution problem far greater than the average US city (I don't know about the Wuhan province's air quality). So...it's possible that once we have better statistics, the mortality rate will be adjusted down, perhaps by quite a bit.

Or, hey, it could be worse than the statistics have shown so far. Luckily I feel like we have open, transparent communications from China and our government

Corona virus mortality rates are really quite low. Less that one half of a percent of people under the age of 50 that contract the disease die. There have been 0 fatalities for children under the age of 10. Total mortality is approximately 3.4% of cases and most of the fatalities are associated with patients that had other complicating pre-existing conditions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coron...DCcKhkMIssiKJE1S18d0m_740ia3inlemZk9nbQ#ref-1

I hate to be insensitive to the moralities, but why is the world freaking out about this disease? 13% stock market crash and canceling the Olympics seems like a bit of an over reaction.

JFC...you sound like Rush Limbaugh with his "98% of people survive" quote.

Did you know that RSV killed 2% of patients under the age of 5 in 2017? 60,000 deaths out 3 million hospitalization cases for patients under 5. There were no Olympics to cancel that year but I don't remember the Dow falling 3000 points in three days. My daughter had RSV in 2007 as a 3 month old, almost died and we spent 3 days in the hospital with her in an elevated oxygen environment, I'd never heard of RSV before. I am just floating the possibility that the media likes to freak us out, and asking for some evidence that his corona virus outbreak is some how actually really bad, especially when compared to other illnesses that we deal with on a regular basis. The idea that it's a media conspiracy to oust Trump from office is preposterous, but it certainly will increase add sales at CNN.com.

I think I understand what you are saying.

Yes, I'm familiar with RSV and a whole bunch of other shit that kills people. Sorry to hear your daughter was so ill, glad she recovered.

Again, yes the "media" exists to sell stuff that gets our attention. So this is probably "overhyped" to some extent, sure. But I'm not hearing/reading inaccurate crap in the media that I consume. It's mostly just the constant drumbeat of updates, analysis, etc. that seems excessive. At the same time, it is a newish illness that's rapidly spreading and carries significant morbidity/mortality. So I don't think it's entirely unjustified to pay attention.

The stock market is reacting to fears not really related to the possible number of deaths that may occur, but to the economic fallout of potential/anticipated containment efforts, which could be indeed significant. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Ted Nugent will take Fauci's place next Sunday as Trump's mouthpiece.

Scott Baio wasn't available. He's got a gig at Knott's Berry Farm.

What’s Baio doing at Knott’s Berry Farm?

I think I posted something like this before but here’s the concern outside of the 2% mortality rate, it’s new and it’s an RNA virus. Viruses adapt and evolve with their hosts, this virus isn’t suppose to have a human host, it should stay zoonotic. In the perfect world this virus replicates and transmits itself amongst the animal host population. It mutates at its normal rate and life goes on. During the natural course of replication that’s in the millions, combined with the mutation rate of a virus like this, the virus mutates its receptor to be able to bind a human cell receptor, glycan, membrane protein etc.. Now what rate this occurs is largely an unknown but assume extremely low, and then said infected animal never comes into contact with a human so this random mutation doesn’t matter, never gets passed in the host animal because it’s actually detrimental to normal host replication.

However the billion to one or whatever chance happens and this random chance mutation occurs and also happens to encounter a new host that it can now replicate in, that’s what you had happen here. It’s the concern with bird flu, the host receptor between human and birds for that virus is a change in the sialic acid receptor from alpha 2,3 to alpha 2,6 linkage it’s almost seems inconsequential but that simplistic change you will have pandemic flu.

So with all that said remember when people freaked out with Ebola, it wasn’t because at that time the transmission rate was extremely high compared to
A lot of viruses it was because there had never been sustain person to person transmission allowing the virus to continue to evolve in a human host. Same concept applies here, high mutation rate, new selective pressure from the human host, unknown outcome. It’s micro scale evolution happening in real time. The virus can go any which way, become as virulent as SARS and keep its transmission rate, become as attenuated as the common cold strains of Coronavirus, stay how it is now, more virulent less transmissible, and so on.

What the media is reporting isn’t wrong it’s just extremely complicated even to people you would consider educated, it’s how vaccine skeptics can arise from people you would otherwise consider intelligent. It also falls onto a group of people that are poor communicators in general to explain the concepts to reporters that then try to digest it into easily digestible sound bites. Overall for most people there’s really nothing you can do except normal health precautions like hand washing and such. No reason to panic but hopefully through conversations this country can realize we as a nation need to do better to prepare because the alarm has been sounding for years that a bad pandemic was going to happen sooner than later and if this isn’t it there will be on in the future.

Damn Louis I was literally posting the exact same thing.

I think I posted something like this before but here’s the concern outside of the 2% mortality rate, it’s new and it’s an RNA virus. Viruses adapt and evolve with their hosts, this virus isn’t suppose to have a human host, it should stay zoonotic. In the perfect world this virus replicates and transmits itself amongst the animal host population. It mutates at its normal rate and life goes on. During the natural course of replication that’s in the millions, combined with the mutation rate of a virus like this, the virus mutates its receptor to be able to bind a human cell receptor, glycan, membrane protein etc.. Now what rate this occurs is largely an unknown but assume extremely low, and then said infected animal never comes into contact with a human so this random mutation doesn’t matter, never gets passed in the host animal because it’s actually detrimental to normal host replication.

However the billion to one or whatever chance happens and this random chance mutation occurs and also happens to encounter a new host that it can now replicate in, that’s what you had happen here. It’s the concern with bird flu, the host receptor between human and birds for that virus is a change in the sialic acid receptor from alpha 2,3 to alpha 2,6 linkage it’s almost seems inconsequential but that simplistic change you will have pandemic flu.

So with all that said remember when people freaked out with Ebola, it wasn’t because at that time the transmission rate was extremely high compared to
A lot of viruses it was because there had never been sustain person to person transmission allowing the virus to continue to evolve in a human host. Same concept applies here, high mutation rate, new selective pressure from the human host, unknown outcome. It’s micro scale evolution happening in real time. The virus can go any which way, become as virulent as SARS and keep its transmission rate, become as attenuated as the common cold strains of Coronavirus, stay how it is now, more virulent less transmissible, and so on.

What the media is reporting isn’t wrong it’s just extremely complicated even to people you would consider educated, it’s how vaccine skeptics can arise from people you would otherwise consider intelligent. It also falls onto a group of people that are poor communicators in general to explain the concepts to reporters that then try to digest it into easily digestible sound bites. Overall for most people there’s really nothing you can do except normal health precautions like hand washing and such. No reason to panic but hopefully through conversations this country can realize we as a nation need to do better to prepare because the alarm has been sounding for years that a bad pandemic was going to happen sooner than later and if this isn’t it there will be on in the future.

Thank you. That’s interesting and helpful. I appreciate your science based response, I was starting to think I was Rush Limbaugh for just asking some questions. None of that type of information has been in any of the media reports if read or heard. Except one report on NPR talking about how Corona virus are typically not highly virulent in native host species (bats) and that the viruses have crossed over to humans a number of times over centuries but none have been especially fatal before (maybe SARS was one though?). So it’s the uncertainty about the trajectory of this disease that should worry us, as opposed to RSV or even Flu, which we’ve known about for decades and have a pretty good handle on how it behaves and operates. That I can understand. Thanks.

Terminology update: apparently we are calling the virus SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) and the disease/illness it causes COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back