• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universities in the south east are about 4-6 weeks from full reopening and classes starting.

I know some like NC State actually moved up classes by two weeks.

Coronavirus / Worse than RJKarl's Breath !!! (Not Really)

It's going to be interesting to see what many smaller private liberal arts colleges and universities do, as many of them simply don't have the financial resources and endowments to survive for very long if they don't reopen and have boarders in the dorms. The same goes for many private boarding high schools too, although there are far fewer of those outside the Northeast. This could literally be the end of the road for some of those schools and colleges if they don't reopen this fall with in-person classes and boarding students.

There are a ton of private boarding schools in Virginia. I went to one. I can’t imagine many of them are going to be in solid financial positions in 6 months.

Massachusetts is an exception to America's coronavirus failure

[/B]

https://theweek-com.cdn.ampproject....usetts-exception-americas-coronavirus-failure

My n=1 anecdote. After spending the duration of the COVID 19 era in NC, I returned back to my home in Boston area today. In just 5 hours the differences between how the residents adapt to limit the spread are stark. I'd say I've seen 95% adherence in MA, and those 5% were people going for a walk around the neighborhood, that kind of thing. On the other hand, before the NC Gov mandated masks (which the county sheriff said he wouldn't enforce), it was like, 20% masks - 80% not. After the mandate, depending on whether a store itself had a policy, it may be 25/75 without a stated policy, maybe reverse that if there was a policy. And sorry to get racial, but white people are the worst, 90% of non-mask wearers have been wypipo.*

*Note: all percentages have a margin of error of 0-100%.

My n=1 anecdote. After spending the duration of the COVID 19 era in NC, I returned back to my home in Boston area today. In just 5 hours the differences between how the residents adapt to limit the spread are stark. I'd say I've seen 95% adherence in MA, and those 5% were people going for a walk around the neighborhood, that kind of thing. On the other hand, before the NC Gov mandated masks (which the county sheriff said he wouldn't enforce), it was like, 20% masks - 80% not. After the mandate, depending on whether a store itself had a policy, it may be 25/75 without a stated policy, maybe reverse that if there was a policy. And sorry to get racial, but white people are the worst, 90% of non-mask wearers have been wypipo.*

*Note: all percentages have a margin of error of 0-100%.

It's disappointing to to hear that NC isn't as compliant. Where I am in VA has been pretty darn compliant, though I hear from friends that the Shenandoah Valley (which is more religious and conservative) is much less compliant, and the Harrisonburg area has been 1 of the state's hotter spots.

Just to clarify, I can't speak on behalf of a whole state, just on what I saw in a very small (population wise, big area wise), agricultural based county. I've no idea what the city folk are up to.

The couple times I've been out in Winston since the mandate have been very good. I have seen a few people not wearing their mask properly (covering only the mouth, instead of the nose as well), but only saw one person in the grocery store without a mask on at all. It was getting down near 50/50 before the mandate. Of course, my next door neighbors have a few teenagers over now with no social distancing taking place and when I took my daughter to hockey practice in Charlotte, people were taking off their masks as soon as they were out of the lobby, where they were doing mask and temperature checks.

Herman Cain likely caught the rona at Trumps Tulsa rally and is now hospitalized

Not sure if I should put this on the Fuck Yeah Science thread or here:

I guess that proves doctors are grossly underpaid. Fuck $15/hour for poor people, we need to at least double the pay of all doctors and give them a tax holiday for the rest of the 20s.

haha, looks like that trend line should be much steeper.

why not just close all the colleges for a year and make the college kids be contract tracers in exchange for free tuition once this is over. A draft, if you will

why not just close all the colleges for a year and make the college kids be contract tracers in exchange for free tuition once this is over. A draft, if you will

The truth is that a good many smaller private colleges and boarding schools probably couldn't survive being closed for a year - they'll go bankrupt. As to why that should matter, those schools collectively still employ a lot of people, provide a good many jobs, and help support other businesses, especially if they're in smaller towns and rural areas. My guess is many of these schools will move heaven and earth to open in some fashion at some point by September.

This seems a worthy use of endowment money, if it guarantees the viability of a University. I know some would argue it should be saved to buyout basketball coaches.

The truth is that a good many smaller private colleges and boarding schools probably couldn't survive being closed for a year - they'll go bankrupt. As to why that should matter, those schools collectively still employ a lot of people, provide a good many jobs, and help support other businesses, especially if they're in smaller towns and rural areas. My guess is many of these schools will move heaven and earth to open in some fashion at some point by September.

At least in the situation of boarding schools, there's an option of public schools.

This seems a worthy use of endowment money, if it guarantees the viability of a University. I know some would argue it should be saved to buyout basketball coaches.

Agreed. What are they going to do? Close up shop and pocket the endowment?

I'm sure some of these schools will use their endowment money, but many of the smaller colleges (say, a Guilford, Salem, Greensboro, etc.) probably don't have a large enough endowment to cover a long-term financial crunch. Also, a good deal of endowment money for many colleges and universities is already clearly marked for scholarships, athletic programs, etc. and can't be used to cover operating expenses. This shouldn't be an issue for universities like Wake, which has a very large endowment and enough financial resources to get through a time like this. One interesting school to watch would be High Point University, which has exploded in growth over the past 15 years, but according to some sources has gone deep into debt to do so.

Just to clarify, I can't speak on behalf of a whole state, just on what I saw in a very small (population wise, big area wise), agricultural based county. I've no idea what the city folk are up to.

Raleigh is decent - maybe 80% adherence. Still yahoos going out on glenwood but that’s more the exception than the rule. All things considered I think cooper has done a good job. Problem is applying similar restrictions to very different environments. Some of the mountain counties have had like 20 cases so I can see them bristling at no bars and no schools but whatchya gonna do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back