• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coronavirus !!! Very Political Thread !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found out that my wife's friend's 20-something year old little brother contracted the virus in late June. He was living with their parents. Their mother and father both got it. Their mother was hesitant to go the hospital. She finally did and died 3 days later.

That's a pretty textbook FL summer COVID death. Tragic.

I’d love to bash the guy for contracting COVID but I don’t know if he got it from work or going out to bars but I understand both.

We've got a really large project ($500 mil construction value) that's just waiting on getting city permits to move to the next step. Well the city official in charge of approving the permits just died of COVID, so that's been delayed. Going to cost another 3 people their jobs in my office. (On top of us already letting go about 40% of the staff)

giphy.gif

This is just mind boggling to me.

I would think if there was any reasonable sequence of events that would lead you to cancelling in-person classes within a week, you wouldn't bring students back in the first place.

I mean, they are doing the right thing... But, in doing so, they are admitting major negligence in the months leading up to now.

IMO, this will happen pretty much everywhere that isn't covering-up positives or simply not testing to save face.

This is just mind boggling to me.

I would think if there was any reasonable sequence of events that would lead you to cancelling in-person classes within a week, you wouldn't bring students back in the first place.

I mean, they are doing the right thing... But, in doing so, they are admitting major negligence in the months leading up to now.

IMO, this will happen pretty much everywhere that isn't covering-up positives or simply not testing to save face.

Also probably not a coincidence that yesterday at 5:00 pm was the cutoff for UNC-CH students to get full tuition cancelation for the Fall and the university admin announced the move to go online-only at 3:45 pm.

Also probably not a coincidence that yesterday at 5:00 pm was the cutoff for UNC-CH students to get full tuition cancelation for the Fall and the university admin announced the move to go online-only at 3:45 pm.

seriously, lol

Really odd considering how much u*NC cares about academic integrity.

[h=1]Florida education chief tells districts: Don’t rush to close schools when covid-19 cases appear[/h]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...ush-close-schools-when-covid-19-cases-appear/

Meanwhile, Notre Dame just suspended in-person classes for two weeks after 146 students tested positive for COVID.

Michigan State told students not to come to campus.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...me-halts-person-classes-146-students-n1237195

I imagine that nearly all schools and colleges that open are going to close again within a month or two at most. It's hard to imagine covid not running wild in classrooms and dorms and frat and sorority houses, no matter how much "social distancing" and other practices they take.

I saw that Anderson Cooper vs. MyPillow guy live. Truly nuts. Felt like Cooper had to get some stuff off his chest, so he just buried the dude instead of just cutting him off and ending it.

Cooper responded to the grifting, arrogant, idiot like he was tired of his dumb uncle spouting bs during Thanksgiving dinner.

I have a question for those more educated than me on the rona issue. Yesterday I saw a poll that fewer than half of Americans said they were definitely going to get the vaccine shot when it became available. What would be the reason not to get it? I saw Fauci's comments to where a vaccine may not be entirely effective. But after a positive phase 3 study, would it not be safe to assume that the vaccine would be safe? So why not get the vaccine asap and still be careful with social interactions until there is evidence as to how effective the vaccine is?

I have a question for those more educated than me on the rona issue. Yesterday I saw a poll that fewer than half of Americans said they were definitely going to get the vaccine shot when it became available. What would be the reason not to get it? I saw Fauci's comments to where a vaccine may not be entirely effective. But after a positive phase 3 study, would it not be safe to assume that the vaccine would be safe? So why not get the vaccine asap and still be careful with social interactions until there is evidence as to how effective the vaccine is?

strong anti-vaxx sentiment in general plus people worried that the admin would rush a vaccine before it was safe to win political points plus people not really thinking COVID is a problem

Yeah pretty much all those points. As someone that is well versed in this stuff the biggest for me would be the second concern. All the primary information from the studies should be made public and I will be researching it (real research not watching a targeted facebook video) and then making an informed decision. If there is not transparency of the data or other shady shit then thats pretty much the answer anyways. Overall, I don't think it will be a big deal because the general public will not have widespread access to a vaccine until sometime next year/mid year.

Yeah pretty much all those points. As someone that is well versed in this stuff the biggest for me would be the second concern. All the primary information from the studies should be made public and I will be researching it (real research not watching a targeted facebook video) and then making an informed decision. If there is not transparency of the data or other shady shit then thats pretty much the answer anyways. Overall, I don't think it will be a big deal because the general public will not have widespread access to a vaccine until sometime next year/mid year.

Not a big deal? I am hoping you will chime in your opinion once you've done your research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back