• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Saban be the first $10M/year college coach?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
If Texas fires Mack Brown, someone on ESPN said they might call Nick Saban.

His reported salary at Bama is $5.5M. I'm sure there are incentives and other earnings.

Texas has that insane TV deal. If they want Saban, do you think they might make him a $100M/10 years offer?

It's not as outrageous as it seems.

I don't see saban jumping to Texas especially on a 10 year deal that would put him over 70 years old he could win 2-3 more titles at Bama and call it a career and he'd be known as one of the best ever

Along with the Longhorn Network comes a basically daily TV appearance commitment and having the practices televised which Saban doesn't strike me as the type to go along with that. Plus Bama would probably match it. So my answer is yes but at Bama and not at Texas.

I don't see saban jumping to Texas especially on a 10 year deal that would put him over 70 years old he could win 2-3 more titles at Bama and call it a career and he'd be known as one of the best ever

I think THE best ever is well within Saban's grasp at this point.

I don't think Saban will leave Alabama either (for this very reason), but I still see him making a lot more money come January 2014. Texas will make a run at him.

If he goes to UT and wins one he will def go down as the best ever. Three different schools. Absurd.

It would be easier to win NC at Texas...little comp in the B12.

Maybe $50M/5. Of course Bama could match it...they can afford it too.

He may have never returned to college if he didn't get impatient and trade for Culpepper instead of signing Brees.

NFL makes more sense than Texas to me. NFL would be a new challenge. Texas would just be a different version of the same challenge he's already taken on three times.

If he goes to UT and wins one he will def go down as the best ever. Three different schools. Absurd.

It's definitely an accomplishment, but Bama, LSU, and Texas? Buzzdick could accidentally win three football championships at those schools...

I don't see him going back to the NFL. He could get fried there.

TX has better recruits than Alabama. In his second year, he could win a NC. Definitely by his third.

I think he could come up with something close to 5/50 any damn place that wants him. And that is probably a lot of places.

Here's my thing. I think that would spell the end of the NCAA and their endless dipshit rules. You have a coach making $10M a year and the "student" athletes get nothing? We are reaching a tipping point. Let's not kid ourselves that college tuition for these kids is the big pay day. We are reaching the point where somebody is going to get creative. A development league where five stars get paid and skip college? The CFL brings them in and pays them? I have no idea. But I think NCAA college football is using these kids in a bad way.

Having said that. Contact football may become flag football in ten years the way things are headed and that's game over for a multi-billion dollar industry.

Starting with the 2008 class, the average ranking of Saban's classes has been 3.33. Texas's average has been 8.83.

Having TX bidding brings the price up regardless of where he ends up.

NFL makes more sense than Texas to me. NFL would be a new challenge. Texas would just be a different version of the same challenge he's already taken on three times.

If he wants a challenge, then he should come to Wake. Winning a National Championship at LSU, Bama, or Texas is nothing. Winning one at LOWF would definitely make him the best ever.

If you can afford him, it would be irresponsible to not call him with an offer. He won't leave Bama unless it's for the NFL.

Back