• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Could Saban be the first $10M/year college coach?

It's definitely an accomplishment, but Bama, LSU, and Texas? Buzzdick could accidentally win three football championships at those schools...

In their combined 238 years of playing football, LSU and Texas have a total of 6 NCs not won by Nick Saban. He has 4 in the last decade. LSU went 53-59-1 in the decade prior to his arrival, while Alabama was 67-55 in the preceding 10 years. You don't just fall assbackward into a NC, even at a football factory*.

*Les Miles is the exception to prove the rule.

In their combined 238 years of playing football, LSU and Texas have a total of 6 NCs not won by Nick Saban. He has 4 in the last decade. LSU went 53-59-1 in the decade prior to his arrival, while Alabama was 67-55 in the preceding 10 years. You don't just fall assbackward into a NC, even at a football factory*.

Eviscerating point.

Even if he wants to stay at Bama, he'd be crazy not to play the UT offer against Bama to get a bunch more money.

The groundwork is still laid at LSU and Texas. They have football traditions, with massive fan bases, and huge stadiums. Yes, you don't just fall assbackward into a MNC, even at football factories, but winning a MNC at Texas, LSU, and Bama is something I think quite a few coaches could do. The comment was partially tongue in cheek, but seriously, Texas, LSU and Bama? Urban could do it. Spurrier could do it. Petrino, Snyder, Patterson, Chip Kelly probably all could. These are programs ready to go....

Don't get me wrong, Saban is probably the best, even if he doesn't switch and win one at Texas, but I don't think you can diminish the foundation those three programs have to build off of. Saban spent 5 years at Michigan State, never won the Big 10, and had three 6 win seasons....

Scandals and/or probation would the the only reasons to leave Alabama at this point.

Scandals and/or probation would the the only reasons to leave Alabama at this point.

Huh? They're still in the S.anctions E.xempt C.onference, aren't they?

If you're not going to punish Cam Newton and Johnny Football (in fact, you're going to rush them both back on the field), you're not going to touch Alabama. The days of NCAA rules applying to SEC schools are OVER.*

*Meanwhile, Miami is in year three of waiting on the report in an investigation the NCAA violated its own rules in vigorously pursuing. Totally equivalent to the "Money? What money? Go to your room for 30 minutes before anyone finds the money we're totally ;) looking for."-approach to the Johnny Football "Investigation").

Texas's next coach will be Briles, Patterson, or Strong. All of this Saban to Texas crap actually started from a totally sarcastic tweet in reference to Saban's rematch in College Station. It's amazing how things get blown out of proportion and how large "news" outlets will run with just about anything.

http://deadspin.com/sports-illustrated-falls-for-satire-about-nick-saban-vi-1278110335

Strong would be a really smart hire. All three of those would be actually, but I like Strong's big program experience.

With these coaching shuffles going on, we'd better lock Grobe down with $10M/yr and Lobo with $5M/yr.

Couldn't Grobe make more per win this year than this hypothetical for Saban?

I don't think he'd want to deal with any of that bullshit in Austin. Different mentality...a soft mentality.

Keep an eye on the Oklahoma State story. Depending on what happens with them, the Big XII-- which is already struggling-- might be seen as a conference to avoid in the future.

Anyone on this message board who doesn’t think Tricky Nicky will jump ship from Alabama is naïve. Not only does Saban like to bail, he likes to do so at inopportune times. Ask Michigan State fans. Ask LSU fans. Ask Miami Dolphins fans. Dude has no “loyalty” and would have no problem going to Texas, USC or anyone that wants to give him a sizable raise.

Guy knows he can win anywhere. I’d actually venture to say he might favor one more move, win at another program and then be unequivocally the best eve r.

Anyone on this message board who doesn’t think Tricky Nicky will jump ship from Alabama is naïve. Not only does Saban like to bail, he likes to do so at inopportune times. Ask Michigan State fans. Ask LSU fans. Ask Miami Dolphins fans. Dude has no “loyalty” and would have no problem going to Texas, USC or anyone that wants to give him a sizable raise.

Guy knows he can win anywhere. I’d actually venture to say he might favor one more move, win at another program and then be unequivocally the best eve r.

You aren't taking into account that Alabama is a better job than MSU, LSU, and possible the Dolphins without a QB. Texas is not a better job than Bama. Certainly has been and could be, but not right now. It's also more naive to think that he needs to win at another college to cement his legacy. As long as he's still winning at Alabama his legacy will be just fine as one of the (moving towards the absolute) GOAT.

Admittedly, I'm biased. Texas certainly would be an attractive destination for Saban. That said, in the end I don't think he leaves because A. he has it made in Tuscaloosa B. he has a chance to trump a legend at Bama and C. Mrs Saban evidently has no interest in leaving.

Nick Saban is at a consensus top 5 job that he has built into an absolute winning machine. They will contend for National Championships pretty much every year for as long as he is there.

Why waste two or more years of his remaining coaching years rebuilding Texas (a job that may or may not be better than the one that he already has) into a machine that, at its best, will merely equal what he has at Alabama?

Nick Saban is at a consensus top 5 job that he has built into an absolute winning machine. They will contend for National Championships pretty much every year for as long as he is there.

Why waste two or more years of his remaining coaching years rebuilding Texas (a job that may or may not be better than the one that he already has) into a machine that, at its best, will merely equal what he has at Alabama?

$$$$$$$

Otherwise agree with your assessment

Back