• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan's Interview With Manning

You don't have to be a zone team to break down and play some zone when it makes sense. Ask Coach K. If he has no flexibility in that regard , he is just being too hard headed. His response about CMM's shooting was interesting . At least he realizes that CMM isn't likely to morph into Steph Curry in the off season. Hopefully DM can surround him with one more shooter this spring .

Last edited:
Yes, no fucks were given in that interview. I like Manning, but WFU needs more press not less, and if Buzz or Wellman came across like that we would be lighting torches.

Because Buzz is a massive failure and Wellman hired a massive failure and proceeded to piss on our heads and tell us it was raining.
Manning has done more to build the program in eleven months than [Redacted] did in four years. He can say what he wants. He's not going to drive away the WSJ beat writer.

I don't think the amount of coverage we get in the Winston-Salem Journal will be affected by this and even if it was I don't think that would have much affect at all on our program.

Dan maybe losing some access. There will hopefully be some really good stories down the road involving WF athletics, Collins might be assuming too much regarding his ability to get interviews.. Greensboro has a newspaper too.

I don't think the amount of coverage we get in the Winston-Salem Journal will be affected by this and even if it was I don't think that would have much affect at all on our program.

Agreed..who cares if a small, shitty local paper doesn't cover us?

I didn't really like the interview too much. It won't help or hurt the success of the program or anything, but i just rolled my eyes. He kind of reminds me of Brian Kelly in how he answers questions, BK is a great coach though, I get it doesn't matter on field.

Likes: the confidence that Manning has in building this program the way he wants in order for it to be successful.

Dislikes: the absence of evidence that Manning has any idea what it takes to build a winning program as its head coach.

He comes across as very pompous and arrogant in that interview, which is fine and dandy if you win things, but just looks silly coming off a losing season with a career coaching record of 51-48 (.515).

Win first. Then you can be a pompous dick all you want towards the media.

Agree with Deacvision...he came across as a little arrogant like you would expect with K. Glad you're confident DM but your job is to also talk the program up, pretend you like your/our beat writer and maybe give us fans a bone. I know you had nothing to do with the last 4 years but at least acknowledge our pain.

I would be grumpy too if a guy kept asking the same question over and over and over.

I thought DM's answers were short, but he got his point across. Not everyone is a sweet bubbly personality. DM wants to win, and he is ruthless. That is what I saw about the interview. I kind of like that.

Last edited:
If he mentioned what happened with [Redacted] it would be perceived as making excuses. If he starts making excuses in the public, the players are going to feel it ok to make excuses. I see no benefit for him to mention what happened prior to him getting there. If he wants to bitch about it in private, by all means do so.

You guys are reading too much negative intonation into his voice. Manning is just terse, not arrogant. He's a bit introverted and probably doesn't love talking to the media regardless of the topic. His tv interviews are usually awkward and terse, he's just not a fluid, loquacious guy.

If he mentioned what happened with [name redacted] it would be perceived as making excuses. If he starts making excuses in the public, the players are going to feel it ok to make excuses. I see no benefit for him to mention what happened prior to him getting there. If he wants to bitch about it in private, by all means do so.

In no way should he talk about or blame He Who Shall Not Be Named.

He should never mention Bz. For me, ideally, he would mention that he has learned a lot from coaching in the ACC, he and his staff are a young staff that are getting better too, acknowledge a mistake or two he made from time to time. I just roll my eyes when he says stuff like ¨we are focusing on going to Greensboro to win 5 games and the ACC tournament¨ after the BC game. Claw is better in that regard, keeps it realer.

I don't think it matters tho, lots of great coaches are similar to Manning in this regard, just a personal preference thing on my end. My favorite coach at media in the country in Mike Brey who talks about how much of an idiot he is for not playing Bonzie first half of year, talks about how he was burning candles in the grotto all summer praying to get an 11 seed in Dayton this year, etc.

There are no two ways about it. This was a shitty interview by Manning.

From a pr perspective, he made several mistakes you just can't afford to make.

Have not been critical of him but this is not good. Nothing he can't correct but damn.

There are no two ways about it. This was a shitty interview by Manning.

From a pr perspective, he made several mistakes you just can't afford to make.

Have not been critical of him but this is not good. Nothing he can't correct but damn.

Another way about it is that the interview was fine and he was straight to the point. Not very interesting questions, most were slight variations of each other. It's no big deal. A coach bluntly saying he's not happy with the results and that they need more work putting his system in place isn't a PR disaster; saying you couldn't be happier with the dumpster fire in your front yard is.

I loved that interview, manning just seems like a badass

Things less predictable than the absurd overanalysis and overreaction to this interview:
a55e556b993d4d7a19c7388e2aef2c99.jpg

Seems to me that coach candor is not a favorable thing to many here. It's worth noting here as well that some of these 'reactions' stem from Manning's 'lack' of saying what folks thought he ought to say.

Back