• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan's Interview With Manning

Oh, the rhetoric.

Manning sets a tone, on and off the court. Strange how hungry for bullshit some of you are.

I like it. He wasn't rude. He just answered the questions in the most efficient way possible.

It's clear to me that Manning cares a lot. He 's identified a way that works for him, and he's not going to apologize for it. I think that's awesome.

Just win. At least with Manning I can follow his roster moves. The last guy was baffling.

I think it's pretty well documented that DM's least favorite part of the job is dealing with the press. He didn't as a player but knows he has to as a HC.

That interview can be interpreted multiple ways. When I read it, I felt like Dan was nagging DM. Most of the questions he asked have been asked and answered previously. Dan did an entire piece on DM's insistence on playing man to man, yet here is Dan asking the question about zone again.

DM's answers were pure Bobby Knight though delivered by DM with a little less dick head attitude I assume. When we start kicking everyone's ass I'll start loving that type of press give and take from my coach. No doubt DM feels his way is the ONLY way and the hell with everyone else. Its just what we need from a Wake coach if he's the one who can get us back. If losing 2 years from now these interviews will get old very fast.

Direct. Concise. Straightforward. Tough luck for you folks who need window dressing. I like it.

Coach's mantra is all business...Lead, Follow, or Get the Hell Out of My Way! After the last four damn dismal years we spent in purgatory, the Coach deserves the opportunity to see if he can produce.

Dislikes: the absence of evidence that Manning has any idea what it takes to build a winning program as its head coach.

He comes across as very pompous and arrogant in that interview, which is fine and dandy if you win things, but just looks silly coming off a losing season with a career coaching record of 51-48 (.515).

Win first. Then you can be a pompous dick all you want towards the media.

The guy pretty much single-handledly won a national championship and was an NBA all-star, he knows what it takes to win. Obviously he hasn't done that yet as a head coach, but his unbelievably successful playing experience is going to give him a different attitude than somebody like Skip who had not won anything of significance at all basketball-wise at the same point in his head coaching career. And that is not a knock on Skip at all, but the reality is that it is two completely different perspectives. And Manning's experience as a player is surely part of the reason he was hired.

Yeah, I think there is a lot of over analyzing here. He doesn't have Jim Valvano's personality - so the eff what. (Hopefully, he lacks Valvano's ethics as well.) He's a bit awkward in interviews. As long as he continues to recruit well, and the team improves, I'm fine with it. I like Danny just fine, and let's keep in mind what a huge reclamation project this is, not only improving the talent but also changing the culture.

That interview reads like Manning was trying to avoid saying he just doesn't have the players. The bit about ND was telling. He could say things about them that he couldn't say about Wake.

All this over analysis of the interview is silly. That's just the sort of interviews Manning gives. He's not a naturally effusive - or sound bite producing - guy, and sports writers tend to ask a lot of repetitive, boring questions anyway. So what? When he was a player, he did his talking on the court, and it seems like he would prefer to do the same as a coach. And there is little reason to think that he wont be making a statement on the court during the next two or three years.

If you ask me, Hatch and Wellman are far worse interviews on our hoops program than Danny Manning is.

all this over analysis is why message boards exist

That interview reads like Manning was trying to avoid saying he just doesn't have the players. The bit about ND was telling. He could say things about them that he couldn't say about Wake.

This was my take as well.

Agree with PH. When Manning kept saying that his guys have to work harder, over and over, as DC asked how do they get better defensively, over and over, it's obvious he really meant "get better players".

Also, I wish DC would have asked more about Manning's feel for the program and its history after being here for a year and bringing back the alums to be a part of the program. Certainly Dan has seen the pictures of DM and Childress with Duncan and Teague from last week.

The guy pretty much single-handledly won a national championship and was an NBA all-star, he knows what it takes to win. Obviously he hasn't done that yet as a head coach, but his unbelievably successful playing experience is going to give him a different attitude than somebody like Skip who had not won anything of significance at all basketball-wise at the same point in his head coaching career. And that is not a knock on Skip at all, but the reality is that it is two completely different perspectives. And Manning's experience as a player is surely part of the reason he was hired.

Pretty much. Hopefully he will just be himself, because that has worked pretty damn well for him in life thus far. No need to act like someone else to placate fans or reporters.

And at least he gives halftime interviews, unlike Ratface, who has won a few games in his career.

Back