• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Country Dan's Version of the Debacle @ Clemson

I think the whole damn team is in denial. CJ said "we didn't attack the rim like we usually do". First of all, this team doesn't attack the rim. Secondly, I can think of 6 or 7 specific times when we did "attack" the rim, and Clemson smacked that shit to the cheerleaders. I know Madison Jones got at least 2 foolish layup attempts blocked. The problem is that our team is weak, small, and can't finish at the rim against a more athletic team.

I watched the NCSU/Maryland game last night. I cannot imagine either of those teams playing bad enough for us to beat them.

CMM is averaging less than 8 ppg. No doubt that number will go up next year, it won't go up enough to replace CJ's scoring. Even if all the freshman come back next year, how much can you really expect them to improve? Not much reason to be optimistic about next year.

Seriously. Is Codi even going to make the ACC All Rookie team? He really needs to start developing now.

Yes he does. But he was also the 16th rated recruit that came into the ACC in his class. His playing time alone makes the expectation for his production higher than many of those ahead of him, but he was not expected to be all-ACC based on talent alone.

Yes he does. But he was also the 16th rated recruit that came into the ACC in his class. His playing time alone makes the expectation for his production higher than many of those ahead of him, but he was not expected to be all-ACC based on talent alone.

Fair enough, but he was heralded as the best recruit in the class and Bzz's best. I was expecting someone who could reliably run the offense and make open shots by mid-year. Instead, he still looks lost half the time.

Fair enough, but he was heralded as the best recruit in the class and Bzz's best. I was expecting someone who could reliably run the offense and make open shots by mid-year. Instead, he still looks lost half the time.

and the other half it looks like he doesn't really care.

Why do you expect Cav to hit shots? He's shooting 29% FG and 19% 3FG on the season, and his average appears to be going down now that we're playing real teams as opposed to the cupcakes we "feasted" on to start the season.

I've got a friend of mine who lives in the Syracuse area and is a substitute teacher in Cav's school district. He had Cav's 8th grade sister in a class after the Clemson game. She said they had friends over to watch and it was ugly. That said, our staff had him put on some bulk and it's really slowed him down, so his quickness is off. Also because of our odd roster, he is playing out of position, both of those together are messing with his confidence.

wait so he's supposed to play the 3? I think he needs to work on his handles a lot if thats the case

I've got a friend of mine who lives in the Syracuse area and is a substitute teacher in Cav's school district. He had Cav's 8th grade sister in a class after the Clemson game. She said they had friends over to watch and it was ugly. That said, our staff had him put on some bulk and it's really slowed him down, so his quickness is off. Also because of our odd roster, he is playing out of position, both of those together are messing with his confidence.

What position do they expect him to play? I'm interested because I saw him play quite a bit and I never pegged him for a wing-type athlete before...

With obvious exceptions (e.g., Visser, Vytas), the biggest bump college players have production-wise is from frosh to soph years. Can be dependent on playing time obviously too.

With obvious exceptions (e.g., Visser, Vytas), the biggest bump college players have production-wise is from frosh to soph years. Can be dependent on playing time obviously too.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that. If that doesn't work, it doesn't matter who's going to be the coach for the next three years.

This is true, but it's a relatively marginal bump in the scheme of things. Vytas, for instance, nearly doubled his minutes from year one to year two. I have a pretty in-depth post about this on another thread with all of the numbers (vs. per 40 PA projections, etc.). So, part of what he ended up averaging was simply based on the fact that he saw more possessions. There was a fairly marginal increase outside of that, as well, of 2-3 points.

Our freshmen are already playing a lot of minutes, so to expect a guy like Devin to post much more than ~10 points is a bit unreasonable given precedent... He would literally be the most productive sophomore big (of his recruiting rank caliber [i.e. outside of the top-100]) that we have ever had.

It pisses me off that [Redacted] chased away Tony Chennault - in the most unprofessional and frankly dickish manner possible - by implying that Codi was going to be a stud. It's actually kind of hindered my ability to like Codi, which I think is what really gets to me.

BTW, here's a statistical comparison (per 40 minutes pace adjusted) of Tony's sophomore year and Codi's freshman year.

Tony: 11.9 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.8 assists (2.9 turnovers), and 1.3 steals.
Codi: 11.1 points, 3.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists (2.5 turnovers), and 0.7 steals.
Tony Chennault would be our starting point guard this year and it's not even close.

It pisses me off that [Redacted] chased away Tony Chennault - in the most unprofessional and frankly dickish manner possible - by implying that Codi was going to be a stud. It's actually kind of hindered my ability to like Codi, which I think is what really gets to me.

BTW, here's a statistical comparison (per 40 minutes pace adjusted) of Tony's sophomore year and Codi's freshman year.

Tony Chennault would be our starting point guard this year and it's not even close.

You're giving stats a bad name. To say it's not even close after posting nearly identical stats is a joke.
Why did you leave off Tony's shooting %? 40% FG, 25% 3 pt, 65% FT. Those are ugly-ass numbers that put his PPG in context. I doubt there are 3 people here that would like TC to be starting for us this year.
Codi needs to try to score more. His limitations are more mental than anything. Not so with TC. He has an ugly shot. And I feel like I defended him too much last year.

As an aside, why the hell should a beat writer take a side on the whether the coach should be fired? That's not his role at all and is a great way to lose your job as beat writer.

The only eye for talent that Buzz has is his brown eye.

Oh my God Strick. Tony was absolutely atrocious. He shot 29% his frosh year. I don't know if he left because Bzd pushed him out or his brother dying and moving closer to home or both, but he had a lot of "turnovers" that aren't counted as turnovers - out of control layups where the defender is there 3 steps ahead of him and Tony's shot either gets blocked or he throws it up and clanks it off the backboard. Tony shot 40% last year and is shooting 30% this year.

Codi's shooting 42% through the same number of games as Tony's first year.

I was referencing Vytas because he had a significant drop in production between I guess his soph and junior years despite comparative minutes. I had remembered it as frosh to soph years but I guess it was soph to junior.

Anyway, my point is that yes, you give a sophomore 25 minutes and he is much more likely to show significant statistical improvement from his frosh year even if he played 25 minutes a game his frosh year. Much more likely than from soph to junior year. There are some guys who see their last year coming and do show surprising improvement from junior to senior years. Like Visser and Nikita.

Chase seems to be a disappointing exception this year though he is shooting significantly better from 3 than he did last year.

I think CMM is deferring a little too much. Or being slightly too aggressive. He can't find that happy medium with CJ on the court. And I have noticed that Bzd generally yanks him after a bad shot and puts in Madison. He should pull him over after he passes up shots. He's our 3rd best 3-point shooter statistically but only takes 2 a game.

Lol that Tony would be starting. Strick you are losing it.

Tony would probably be getting rotation minutes, but I don't think he'd be starting.

Madison, assuming he was here and he wouldn't be, should get minutes over Tony.

Back