• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I read today There's a crazy proposal out there to double CA taxes across the board to pay for free healthcare for errbody floating around

If health care/insurance/etc costs more than taxes, it's not crazy.

A proposed constitutional amendment (ACA 11) in California would increase taxes by $12,250 per household, roughly doubling the state’s already high tax collections, to fund a first-in-the-nation single-payer health-care system. The top marginal rate on wage income would soar to 18.05 percent—nationally, the median top marginal rate is 5.3 percent—and the state would adopt a new 2.3 percent gross receipts tax (GRT), at a rate more than three times that of the country’s highest current pure GRT.

All told, the new tax package is intended to raise an additional $163 billion per year, which is more than California raised in total tax revenue any year prior to the pandemic.

The new taxes would take three forms:

Surtaxes atop the current individual income tax structure beginning at $149,509 in income;
A graduated-rate payroll tax system with the top rate kicking in for employees with more than $49,990 in annual income; and
A gross receipts tax of 2.3 percent, excluding the first $2 million of business income.

https://taxfoundation.org/california-health-care-tax-proposal/

The red states are going to need as much notice as possible before this is implemented. We're building as fast as we can but this is a lot to ask on short notice.

To be clear, you are not in favor of government provided healthcare for all? So much so that if your state implemented it you would move to another state?

The red states are going to need as much notice as possible before this is implemented. We're building as fast as we can but this is a lot to ask on short notice.

This sounds like really bad news for republicans. it would only take about 20 democrats from California to flip Wyoming.

the only reason people move anywhere in conservatives' minds is taxes, which lines up with Corporations are People mindset. because Corporations are actually more important than fleshpeople, if you think about it

“We’ve got to redefine what the purpose of K-12 education is. Some would say it’s to produce critical thinkers. But my team and I believe that the purpose of a public K-12 education is to prepare students for post-secondary plans of their choice so that they can be a functioning member of the workforce.”

– STATE SUPERINTENDENT CATHERINE TRUITT, JANUARY 6TH, 2022

“We’ve got to redefine what the purpose of K-12 education is. Some would say it’s to produce critical thinkers. But my team and I believe that the purpose of a public K-12 education is to prepare students for post-secondary plans of their choice so that they can be a functioning member of the workforce.”

– STATE SUPERINTENDENT CATHERINE TRUITT, JANUARY 6TH, 2022

Seems pretty discriminatory against kids with trust funds.

It's almost like Republicans want to produce a permanent underclass to serve them. That's why they could care less who lives and dies from COVID.

Back