• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Glug glug. Late night at Snoopy’s I see.

He's right though. There is no profession more up their own asses with making sure to let people know how smart they are, yet at the same time being a safe haven for absolute fucking morons. Watching some of the board lawyers conjure up straw men, or other fallacious arguments in the face of actual proven evidence is absolutely breathtaking.

Watching some of the board lawyers conjure up straw men, or other fallacious arguments in the face of actual proven evidence is absolutely breathtaking.

But that’s what lawyers do. That’s literally the job. The Republican Party is their client and they’re defending it on this board pro bono.

Is this referring to Ronald Dimock or someone else? I wanted to read about this research but I could only find research on freshwater mussels…

Found this reference:

Steggerda,F.R.,and Dimmick,J.F.(1966).Effects of bean diets on concentration of carbon dioxide in flatus. Amer. J. clin. Nutr., 19,120-124.

This too:

https://wakespace.lib.wfu.edu/handle/10339/92814

This.

The problem is that the side arguing against facts used to be laughed at and relegated to the fringe but now they have a huge fucking media apparatus with hawkers drawing in followers for a massive profit that eventually produced a pitchman grifter to win the presidency who has also profited off the dumb dumbs.

The anti-truth is big business.

But that’s what lawyers do. That’s literally the job. The Republican Party is their client and they’re defending it on this board pro bono.

Just because we have a few hard conservative lawyers that dogmatically ignore reason and facts doesn't make it a conservative only problem. It's just that the causes they are brain dead about are conservative ones.

This.

The problem is that the side arguing against facts used to be laughed at and relegated to the fringe but now they have a huge fucking media apparatus with hawkers drawing in followers for a massive profit that eventually produced a pitchman grifter to win the presidency who has profited off the dumb dumbs.

I definitely blame social media for the rapid spread of stupidity. And that definitely skews conservative, likely because of the education gap among their followers.

Just because we have a few hard conservative lawyers that dogmatically ignore reason and facts doesn't make it a conservative only problem. It's just that the causes they are brain dead about are conservative ones.

I didn’t say it was a conservative only problem. You see that in your desire to seem centrist.

It’s a problem with the legal profession. “The law” is the will of those in power. Lawyers learn how to protect that status quo and craft arguments to defend any side they’re paid to defend.

I definitely blame social media for the rapid spread of stupidity. And that definitely skews conservative, likely because of the education gap among their followers.

That’s an elitist argument. People believe what they want to believe. Conservatives need to believe the most absurd things in order to maintain their beliefs. So if someone tells them Biden is giving out “free crackpipes” they believe it because it helps maintain the core conservative belief that liberals want to help lazy shiftless drugged out Black people to the detriment of hard working white people. Plenty of well-educated conservatives like the board lawyers are true believers.

Is this referring to Ronald Dimock or someone else? I wanted to read about this research but I could only find research on freshwater mussels…

There was both Ronald Dimock and John Dimmick who were biology professors at Wake in the 70's. Dimmick was older, Dimock was a new young prof.

Found this reference:

Steggerda,F.R.,and Dimmick,J.F.(1966).Effects of bean diets on concentration of carbon dioxide in flatus. Amer. J. clin. Nutr., 19,120-124.

This too:

https://wakespace.lib.wfu.edu/handle/10339/92814

Thanks birdman! I found the abstract online, but not the full article. They basically fed guys (I'm assuming undergrads) different diets and then measured the amount of flatulence they produced. I could see that being a memorable study on campus. Good call, sailor!

There is no profession more up their own asses with making sure to let people know how smart they are, yet at the same time being a safe haven for absolute fucking morons.

Ouch. Go easy on those who chose academia for a career path, LK.

He's right though. There is no profession more up their own asses with making sure to let people know how smart they are, yet at the same time being a safe haven for absolute fucking morons. Watching some of the board lawyers conjure up straw men, or other fallacious arguments in the face of actual proven evidence is absolutely breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Karma View Post
There is no profession more up their own asses with making sure to let people know how smart they are, yet at the same time being a safe haven for absolute fucking morons.

Ouch. Go easy on those who chose academia for a career path, LK.

Talk about cherry picking his post by taking it completely out of context, deleting some of it, and misrepresenting what he said. Lies and dishonesty par for the course. How was church this morning?

That and the entire finance sector.

It's a conservative problem because their entire fake theory of jurisprudence, "originalism", is meant to ignore reason and facts.

You think Kyrie Irving and Novak Djokovic are stubborn for losing millions of dollars to avoid getting the vaccine - meet Jake Klassen & his wife

I'm pretty sure they just don't love their child. No loving parent would do that.

Anti-vaxx lies are worth fighting for but not their child? These people have done so much harm to America and so many other places around the world. 'Merica, leading the world in stupid. Again.

It was pretty funny last night to watch the Mecklenburg County Commissioners (all Demos, of course), now rail against the mask mandates that they themselves enacted, saying they need to be lifted ASAP, because the #science has changed regarding cloth masks.

The #science has not changed. Cloth masks are, and have always been, useless. Those are the facts, and have been understood by anyone with a brain for years. Anyone who now, or at any point in time, has thought otherwise is nothing short of a fucking idiot. Unless a city/county/state-wide mask mandate has been for an N95 mask, which none have been, mask mandates have been nothing more than feel-good optics. As I have said on here for years, they are the placebo effect at its finest relative to N95 masks.

The problem with this con job that the WFHElite quickly fell for is that it undermined the credibility of the actual preventative measures. Because the cloth mask mandates were so blatantly useless, it created the corresponding sense of doubt about the vaccines in many people who realized the fallacy. When there are two main prongs of attack, and one of them is so obviously false, it is tough for most people to trust the other. Not to mention the selective enforcement (clearly you can't catch Covid with 100,000 other maskless people at the Super Bowl, but goddamn it cover your nose with a cloth mask with the 20 other kids in your classroom who are at virtually no risk for anything).

But it is good to see the Commissioners finally, 2+ years later, accepting the #science. They will be conned again soon, of course, because stupid is as stupid does.
But at least for now they have finally caught up to reality.

Back