• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

The 7 day rolling average daily COVID death rate in the US is 618 deaths per day. (This is a good way to look at the data because it accounts for reporting irregularities.)

Continuing decline, now 587. https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-7-day. Most recent daily deaths less than 400 so that 7 day average is likely to decline further, and relatively quickly. Open question if it will continue to fall into flu territory (100-200/day) or plateau at a higher (or maybe lower?) level.

Patients who have tried to take advantage of their insurers’ cost waivers are sometimes finding themselves thwarted by hospitals and providers that don’t code their bills as related to coronavirus. Without the right coding, the patients’ normal deductibles and co-payments apply.

One coronavirus patient in Chicago recounted spending 50 hours trying to get the coding for an M.R.I. scan changed, to show it was related to coronavirus. His insurer will pay the entire bill if that happens — but if not, he is responsible for $1,600. So far, the issue is still unresolved.

So the same hospitals that we were assured by Rafi and the other Ronabros were not rigging their coding to get more money because of Covid, are now, per the NYT, rigging their coding to get more money because of Covid. The dupe continues.

The paragraph you quoted and what you just said contradict themselves but that’s pretty on par for you.

Yeah wtf. That quote literally says the opposite of what you're saying.

So the same hospitals that we were assured by Rafi and the other Ronabros were not rigging their coding to get more money because of Covid, are now, per the NYT, rigging their coding to get more money because of Covid. The dupe continues.

As others have pointed out, you’re confused. If the MRI indication had been coded with a COVID associated code, then the hospital would have been paid by insurance, but since it wasn’t, the hospital isn’t being paid at all.

There are 70,000 ICD10 codes. I would guess a generic code was used, like “headache” and that’s where the issue lies. This is a dumb issue, created by insurance, and it happens all the time. This is just one small reason why our medical insurance system needs reform.

And what kind of adult uses the term “Ronabros?”

I am highly skeptical of those numbers, largely because we know that a large portion of the population did NOT mask up and surely those fuckers aren't at home washing their hands constantly.

Obviously, the lack of schools being opened played a huge role in reducing transmission. We know the numbers went down, but to see it almost statistically zeroed out doesn't pass the proverbial smell test.

All that said, this is great news and I am considering having my kids mask up during the heavy flu months when they are in school going forward.

I am highly skeptical of those numbers, largely because we know that a large portion of the population did NOT mask up and surely those fuckers aren't at home washing their hands constantly.

Obviously, the lack of schools being opened played a huge role in reducing transmission. We know the numbers went down, but to see it almost statistically zeroed out doesn't pass the proverbial smell test.

All that said, this is great news and I am considering having my kids mask up during the heavy flu months when they are in school going forward.

Even the anti-mask crowd masked up in places that required it. I have no doubt by staying at home, distancing, masking, we cut transmission by 99+%. Nobody lived the exact same life they did before all this. The story is how much worse COVID would have been if we didn’t do all of that.

Some of it is probably a measurement or detection problem. Were flu testing rates the same as in previous years? Is it possible that a lot of flu cases were not tested or assumed to be Covid and treated as such without confirmation?

Back