• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

Apparently, the cruise ship imbroglio isn't going so well for GOP superhero and National Review favorite DeSantis. Say it isn't so!

The party of small government wants to tell social media companies who they can’t ban from their platform and force cruise lines to bring disease spreaders onboard.

You can't exclude idiots who refuse to get a vaccine for the good of each other and society but you can absolutely refuse to bake a cake for a gay wedding because... <checks notes> the bible tells me so.

Pretty much

DeSantis just wants to promote "ideological diversity" on cruise ships. What's wrong with that?

Exactly!

I was thinking about the “young earth” creationists and how they aren’t fairly represented in academia. Well, apart from the nutty fundamentalist private places where they require stated adherence to a fictional geological history. This lack of ideological diversity is a travesty! So telling about the “liberal” cesspool of the academy!

There is apparently a concert venue in Tampa that is charging $18 for tickets to an upcoming show with proof of Covid vaccine and $999 without, which so far skirts the stupid fucking Florida vaccine passport law. (I heard about it on NPR so I don’t have a link.)

Question:

With the mounting evidence the virus escaped from wuhan lab. How are we suppose to take MSM serious on anything ever. Journalism is purely tribal at this point.

This isn’t to credit Republicans for pushing the issue, their motives were entirely fucked, but it happened they were probably right. And the press completely shit the bed.

There is apparently a concert venue in Tampa that is charging $18 for tickets to an upcoming show with proof of Covid vaccine and $999 without, which so far skirts the stupid fucking Florida vaccine passport law. (I heard about it on NPR so I don’t have a link.)

Honestly who gives a fuck. If you have the vaccine you are good to go, if you don’t then fuck you.

If the vaccine works I don’t see the point in passports.

Question:

With the mounting evidence the virus escaped from wuhan lab. How are we suppose to take MSM serious on anything ever. Journalism is purely tribal at this point.

This isn’t to credit Republicans for pushing the issue, their motives were entirely fucked, but it happened they were probably right. And the press completely shit the bed.

So you’re arguing that media didn’t go along with Republican talking points? That’s weird.

They reported what they knew. If the US had a pandemic plan that involved working with China, we would know already.

I mean, they went along with Republican talking points in the leadup to Iraq.

No bro you are dense AF. It’s not that they failed to go along with republican talking points. My point is that they were blinded by tribalism to the point they didn’t accurately investigate the story.

See Josh Rogin of the Washington post for what you need to hear.

what I don't get about the "can never trust the MSM ever again crowd" when they get something wrong one outta 10 times, is they tend to jump to media sauces that are wrong 9 outta 10 times

No bro you are dense AF. It’s not that they failed to go along with republican talking points. My point is that they were blinded by tribalism to the point they didn’t accurately investigate the story.

See Josh Rogin of the Washington post for what you need to hear.

“Bro you’re dense AF. MSM is tribalist. Go read this MSM guy.”

LOL.

What “accurate investigation” did you want CNN and the NY Times to do of a lab in Wuhan during a global pandemic?

LOL.

What “accurate investigation” did you want CNN and the NY Times to do of a lab in Wuhan during a global pandemic?

Idk maybe assume it was a legit possibility instead of discrediting it as a conspiracy theory.

LOL.

Also that MSM guy was HIGLY critics of the way MSM covered the story. Which was my point you lead ass having dude

Idk maybe assume it was a legit possibility instead of discrediting it as a conspiracy theory.

I don’t think media should just accept politically motivated conspiracy theories without any evidence especially knowing it would fuel anti-Asian racism. The only purpose it would have served at the time is to blame Chinese people all over the world for mistakes made in one lab.

If we had a legit pandemic preparation and response in place, we’d know already.

Yeah, because the Chinese have been really forthcoming about the whole thing and would have given the US unfettered access to the Wuhan lab. We probably would have had a better understanding of the seriousness of the disease at an earlier date.

Occum’s razor says it’s pretty legit to assume this came from a wild animal source until proven otherwise. It’s pretty brazen to publish stories about a foreign government intentionally creating a virus that killed 100s of thousands without convincing evidence. SARS and MERS both had wild animal sources with a domestic/food animal intermediary so the default hypothesis was and still it’s wild sourced. I don’t remember legit media calling the lab source story a conspiracy but I do remember many saying things like ‘there is no evidence to support it.’ A huge problem here was that Trump was pushing the story and Trump had pushed so many lies and conspiracies in his presidency, that calling it a lie or baseless was very reasonable for the media. Ultimately the problem with trust here is because the GOP abandoned reality years ago and not with the media trying to report on a sensitive story with high uncertainty.

1)The conspiracy theory that they were dismissing included the idea that Fauci personally funded the development of the coronavirus in the Wuhan lab to undermine Trump.

2)Right now, the Wuhan leak is only in the "plausible" stage.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/27/1000...r-covid-19-should-be-investigated-expert-says

3)Your boy retweeted this thing yesterday.

Last edited:
Back