• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

That would be nice if true. My wife and I had Thanksgiving dinner with two of our children. Everyone has been vaccinated at least 3 times (4 for my wife and me). Three of us now have covid.
How many of you have died?

I lost a friend to Covid. He was 58, healthy, quadruple-vaccinated, and generally very cautious. I'm still a little bit raw trying to figure out what in the world happened, and why his daughters won't have their Dad to walk them down the aisle. Maybe he just had spectacularly shitty luck.

I understand public health messaging is difficult, but I'm not convinced that one shot, once per year is all that most people will need. (and yes, I get that mathematically, 51% is most, and more than that will live)

I lost a friend to Covid. He was 58, healthy, quadruple-vaccinated, and generally very cautious. I'm still a little bit raw trying to figure out what in the world happened, and why his daughters won't have their Dad to walk them down the aisle. Maybe he just had spectacularly shitty luck.

I understand public health messaging is difficult, but I'm not convinced that one shot, once per year is all that most people will need. (and yes, I get that mathematically, 51% is most, and more than that will live)
I'm sorry for your loss. It's been a tough few years made worse by lies and disinformation. It's been really difficult at times. Keep your head up and your loved ones close.

"most" and "stay protected" doing some work there. Don't disagree with the effort, however.

If you knew jack shit about COVID, you would know that days 5-10 are typically when mild cases can become severe. I was the first to show symptoms (Friday), so your question is a bit premature. As it stands, our youngest spent a portion of Sunday night in the ER. I'm the oldest and most likely to die. If I do you can GFY.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's been a tough few years made worse by lies and disinformation. It's been really difficult at times. Keep your head up and your loved ones close.
The point of my post was that our VP's tweet was misinformation. It probably should specify that the latest available vaccines will protect most people from severe illness, not COVID itself. I seriously doubt it will even do that for an entire year.

BTW, my wife and I were probably exposed on Monday, 11/21 when we went out for dinner. It was our wedding anniversary and we went to a restaurant we know well and trusted the environment. The 7-day average in our county at that time was 4 new cases a day.

The point of my post was that our VP's tweet was misinformation. It probably should specify that the latest available vaccines will protect most people from severe illness, not COVID itself. I seriously doubt it will even do that for an entire year.
Her Tweet is not misinformation. It is a bold prediction. There is a difference between stating a bold prediction using unspecific terms like "most" and making a statement that hypes the dangers of vaccines by cherry picking data, like Joe Ladapo has done in Florida with bogus "studies" on vaccine safety. Her predication will become problematic when it fails in two years when "most" people are all still needing 2 boosters per year because idiots like Ladapo undermined herd immunity with misinformation now.

I am sorry you guys got sick. I hope everyone pulls through with mild effects. Good luck.

If you knew jack shit about COVID, you would know that days 5-10 are typically when mild cases can become severe. I was the first to show symptoms (Friday), so your question is a bit premature. As it stands, our youngest spent a portion of Sunday night in the ER. I'm the oldest and most likely to die. If I do you can GFY.

It was a sarcastic comment based on a post questioning the effectiveness of covid vaccines. As you explain in this response you actually understand the point of this vaccine despite the poster questioning its effectiveness.

Also, interesting that you accuse the vp of misinformation. Wonder why.

Her Tweet is not misinformation. It is a bold prediction. There is a difference between stating a bold prediction using unspecific terms like "most" and making a statement that hypes the dangers of vaccines by cherry picking data, like Joe Ladapo has done in Florida with bogus "studies" on vaccine safety. Her predication will become problematic when it fails in two years when "most" people are all still needing 2 boosters per year because idiots like Ladapo undermined herd immunity with misinformation now.

I am sorry you guys got sick. I hope everyone pulls through with mild effects. Good luck.
Thanks for the best wishes. Unfortunately, much of the rest of your post is utter BS. Ms. Harris knows full well that a booster will most likely not protect someone from COVID for a full year.

I believe it's important that our government level with us as to the realities of viruses and vaccines. Making ridiculous predictions only gives cover to the idiots like Ladapo. I would hope the fact that all four of us have had a COVID booster in the past year shows where we stand in the fight against COVID.

Consider the following:

"The new study found that the updated boosters work about like the original boosters. They protect against symptomatic infection in the range of 40% to 60%, meaning that even when vaccine protection is its most potent, about a month after getting the shot, people may still be vulnerable to breakthrough infections."

"John Moore, an immunologist and microbiologist at Weill Cornell Medicine, said it boils down to the fact that that boosters will probably cut your risk of getting sick by about 50%, and that protection probably won’t last.

“Having a booster will give you some additional protection against infection for a short term, which is always what we see with a booster, but it won’t last long. It’ll decline, and it will decline more as the more resistant variants spread,” said Moore, who was not involved in the new research."

"A new preprint study from researchers at Harvard and Yale estimates that 94% of Americans have been infected with the virus that causes Covid-19 at least once, and 97% have been infected or vaccinated, increasing protection against a new Omicron infection from an estimated 22% in December 2021 to 63% by November 10, 2022. Population protection against severe disease rose from an estimated 61% in December 2021 to around 89%, on average, this November."

Thanks for the best wishes. Unfortunately, much of the rest of your post is utter BS. Ms. Harris knows full well that a booster will most likely not protect someone from COVID for a full year.

I believe it's important that our government level with us as to the realities of viruses and vaccines. Making ridiculous predictions only gives cover to the idiots like Ladapo. I would hope the fact that all four of us have had a COVID booster in the past year shows where we stand in the fight against COVID.

Consider the following:

"The new study found that the updated boosters work about like the original boosters. They protect against symptomatic infection in the range of 40% to 60%, meaning that even when vaccine protection is its most potent, about a month after getting the shot, people may still be vulnerable to breakthrough infections."

"John Moore, an immunologist and microbiologist at Weill Cornell Medicine, said it boils down to the fact that that boosters will probably cut your risk of getting sick by about 50%, and that protection probably won’t last.

“Having a booster will give you some additional protection against infection for a short term, which is always what we see with a booster, but it won’t last long. It’ll decline, and it will decline more as the more resistant variants spread,” said Moore, who was not involved in the new research."

"A new preprint study from researchers at Harvard and Yale estimates that 94% of Americans have been infected with the virus that causes Covid-19 at least once, and 97% have been infected or vaccinated, increasing protection against a new Omicron infection from an estimated 22% in December 2021 to 63% by November 10, 2022. Population protection against severe disease rose from an estimated 61% in December 2021 to around 89%, on average, this November."
I get that you are angry because you are currently sick but what the VP said is a prediction, not a fact. She is predicting that >50% of the population will only need 1 shot per year in the future. She doesn't specify when in the future, she doesn't define "need," and she doesn't specify "most." I think she is a most saying that 50% will need a single shot to avoid hospitalization from Covid. You are assigning meaning to her words that is not in the 280 characters and then accusing her of spreading misinformation, based on your assigned meaning.

Having said that, I agree with you that making a bold prediction like that, via twitter where the space for nuance and explanation is not allowed, is poor communication and governance. We've had too many failed predictions on this pandemic and wildlife irresponsible leadership at the beginning of the ordeal that leaders should be extra careful now.

I get that you are angry because you are currently sick but what the VP said is a prediction, not a fact. She is predicting that >50% of the population will only need 1 shot per year in the future. She doesn't specify when in the future, she doesn't define "need," and she doesn't specify "most." I think she is a most saying that 50% will need a single shot to avoid hospitalization from Covid. You are assigning meaning to her words that is not in the 280 characters and then accusing her of spreading misinformation, based on your assigned meaning.

Having said that, I agree with you that making a bold prediction like that, via twitter where the space for nuance and explanation is not allowed, is poor communication and governance. We've had too many failed predictions on this pandemic and wildlife irresponsible leadership at the beginning of the ordeal that leaders should be extra careful now.
The meaning I'm assigning to her words is what most people would assign. To argue otherwise is political spin. Again, here's what she said: "One shot, once a year—that’s all most people will need to stay protected from COVID year-long. Make a plan to get your shot..."

What would you have preferred she said?

I think you could make the same type political spin argument against those people trying the claim her tweet is misinformation. If you go into that tweet not liking Democrats and the VP specifically, you're going to assume she is saying that most = almost everybody and that protected from COVID = not one single sniffle and that she is there for an idiot. Likewise, if you support Dems and the VP you'll assume she means some number over 50% will only need 1 shot per year to avoid COVID induced hospitalization. I mean the article you quoted said that the boosters allow for break through infections, but that 89% of Americans are protected from severe COVID. Which to me says the vaccines are already doing pretty well and maybe they will improve too. I've had one covid booster in 2022. I got sick in June, three days in bed with a fever and a headache, then I had tons of exposure at a professional conference in October and skated away Covid free. That is the life I think she is talking about.

I think you could make the same type political spin argument against those people trying the claim her tweet is misinformation. If you go into that tweet not liking Democrats and the VP specifically, you're going to assume she is saying that most = almost everybody and that protected from COVID = not one single sniffle and that she is there for an idiot. Likewise, if you support Dems and the VP you'll assume she means some number over 50% will only need 1 shot per year to avoid COVID induced hospitalization. I mean the article you quoted said that the boosters allow for break through infections, but that 89% of Americans are protected from severe COVID. Which to me says the vaccines are already doing pretty well and maybe they will improve too. I've had one covid booster in 2022. I got sick in June, three days in bed with a fever and a headache, then I had tons of exposure at a professional conference in October and skated away Covid free. That is the life I think she is talking about.

So where is the straightforward statement from Fauci or the administration that that's what they mean ? Because what we're getting is this type of talk from Harris (who absolutely nobody likes, btw), and people are being left to decide for themselves whether the government is telling us the truth or if the anti-vax wackos are actually onto something.

I understand that the administration would rather not discuss Covid anymore and just declare that Covid is over, but they could do a better job of explaining exactly how effective the vaccines have been, as well as cleaning up the promises that were made about their effectiveness two years ago.

The meaning I'm assigning to her words is what most people would assign. To argue otherwise is political spin. Again, here's what she said: "One shot, once a year—that’s all most people will need to stay protected from COVID year-long. Make a plan to get your shot..."
you are protected

just like how getting a flu shot protects you against the flu, the covid booster protects you against covid

just like how wearing a helmet protects you from getting a concussion or how a seatbelt protects you from dying in a car accident

your likelihood of dying alone on a ventilator is far lower, next to non-existent

for that you should thank modern medicine and its messenger, kamala harris

So where is the straightforward statement from Fauci or the administration that that's what they mean ? Because what we're getting is this type of talk from Harris (who absolutely nobody likes, btw), and people are being left to decide for themselves whether the government is telling us the truth or if the anti-vax wackos are actually onto something.

I understand that the administration would rather not discuss Covid anymore and just declare that Covid is over, but they could do a better job of explaining exactly how effective the vaccines have been, as well as cleaning up the promises that were made about their effectiveness two years ago.
I don't know. I already said that twitter is a dumb venue to be making bold predictions about vaccine efficacy where the character limits prevent full explanations. I just think it is important to draw a distinction between bad science communication and misinformation. Harris engaged in bad science communication, not misinformation.

Back