• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

saw a video from Taiwan or something where stores have scanners that literally won't open the door if you're not wearing a mask. these cletuses are all so dumb. was at a brewery here a week or so ago and a buncha rubes walked in sans masks and the manager asked if they had masks and they all made a big deal about you can't make me and there's no law (narrator: there is a law). they pointed to all the people at their tables not wearing masks saying why aren't you making them wear masks?!?! then they stormed out saying the brewery just lost a lot of good customers and they're telling all their friends.

Spoiled brat behavior, and they take their cues from the ultimate public spoiled brat, Dear Leader. Can you imagine the response if stores here did what the ones you described in Taiwan are doing? It would look like the Walking Dead, as you'd probably have people throwing themselves at the doors and windows and screaming obscenities trying to get in. I'm sure that a few nutcases would resort to even more extreme measures to retaliate. It's as if no one has ever told these people "no" or "you shouldn't do this" in their entire life. It's also a sad commentary on the complete breakdown of any sense of community or the quaint notion of people having any sense of responsibilities or duties towards one another. These people love to talk about patriotism and love of country and whatnot, but they're really just remarkably selfish and self-centered.

So I think this is where a huge failure occurred that was an indirect consequence from lack of leadership and proper messaging. When the pandemic first started there was nobody telling anyone what the proper thing to do was, hell there still isn't really. The only thing you got was oh things are fine its not that bad from the administration and then what people saw with their eyes and the reality of the situation was not good. Additionally, you then had conflicting messaging because of politics.

What ended up happening was people did the normal thing where they looked to reaffirm something they already believed, super cautious or super reckless. People also started to do their own "research" as well as the media looking for any information they could get, including deep diving into non-reviewed scientific articles, random "experts", and a whole bunch of unfiltered complicated things were disseminated to the public. For example, the original study that showed that the virus was found on different surfaces for ridiculously long times, like days. That study was real, the science was real, the group was NIH and collaborators, the results didn't mean what people thought they meant. Result the public took away, people are spraying down their groceries with disinfectant and leaving packages out in the sun for an RNA virus.

It also wasn't just the public, because the virus was new and had such a spotlight on it scientists decided that all previous virology and immunology knowledge apparently should just be forgotten and everything had to be reinvented, then after the studies were done surprise surprise it acted like a virus. For example like it was some earth shattering finding that duration of illness, level of sickness, and course of infection is tied to initial viral load. With all that said, and it may be too late with credibility just shot, there should be public messaging everyday about the realities of the virus and what to do.

Anyways personal opinion on messaging should be that face mask coverings should be required whenever indoors, additionally facemask coverings should be required when outdoors in a crowd of people greater than 5 that can not maintain 6 feet distancing and the time in said crowd will exceed a short period of time. The mask at a gas pump, unnecessary, mask while on a trail unnecessary, mask while sitting next to someone on a scenic hayride to the apple orchard, necessary.

just wanted to publicly congratulate you on your usage of paragraph breaks

That's what I've been going with. So far, so good.

Same. I don't wear 1 golfing, nor do 95% of folks I see on the course, or if I go for a walk (just veer into the street when passing someone, especially if they're masked). Also don't on my front porch or friends' decks when we're having beers and sitting 10' from each other. But everyone around here is good about wearing masks inside stores. But I have avoided restaurants and bars like the plague - just have gotten take out from our local gourmet pizza place and the Thai place down the street.

COVID Thread 2: I Like Soldiers Who Don't Get My COVID! (Super Political!!!)

I've thought a lot about this question - how to improve our status and get through this. I'm not sure how effective it would be, but I would recommend 30 minute national briefings every night, Monday through Friday, and always at the same time. The format for each briefing would be similar (update on the numbers over the past 24 hours, identification of hot spots and areas that are improving, updates on new research, and then re-enforcing of the current recommendations). Different scientists/physicians/task force members would lead each night, which might prevent the crazies from generating consistent conspiracy theories. Andrew Cuomo did this in New York and I think it was generally well received.

This is good. It’s hard to think back to the lockdown days but the nation was much more unified and receptive to when they could look forward to daily updates from Fauci. Then Trump got stir crazy and turned the briefings into political rallies. That’s truly when things went off the rails.

Non-political daily briefings from the CDC could help bring us all together toward a common solution.

saw a video from Taiwan or something where stores have scanners that literally won't open the door if you're not wearing a mask. these cletuses are all so dumb. was at a brewery here a week or so ago and a buncha rubes walked in sans masks and the manager asked if they had masks and they all made a big deal about you can't make me and there's no law (narrator: there is a law). they pointed to all the people at their tables not wearing masks saying why aren't you making them wear masks?!?! then they stormed out saying the brewery just lost a lot of good customers and they're telling all their friends.

I wear a mask when I am inside, anywhere

I haven't eaten indoors at a restaurant since mid-March

the people who stormed out of the brewery were douchebags, probably; but, don't they kind of have a point?

if you're sitting around indoors drinking beer, you're not wearing a mask - you are just as likely to spread Covid as someone walking into the store

the people who stormed out of the brewery were douchebags, probably; but, don't they kind of have a point?

if you're sitting around indoors drinking beer, you're not wearing a mask - you are just as likely to spread Covid as someone walking into the store

no, they don't. if the manager of a place says put on your mask, that's the end of the conversation.

well it was outside, with the tables well-spaced apart. you also must have your mask on whenever not at your table, which includes ordering drinks/food.

Wearing a mask as you come in and order protects the staff. Doesn’t matter what you do at the table.

Wearing a mask as you come in and order protects the staff. Doesn’t matter what you do at the table.

ok - it was an outdoor event. which was not clear.

but if it's inside, yes, what you do at the table matters.

Allowing people to eat and drink at restaurants is a somewhat reasonable compromise to allow these businesses to stay viable. The alternative would be to shut the restaurant down, not to just allow everyone to go without masks.

I've eaten in a restaurant once. I got a Nashville hot fried cod sandwich I couldn't just eat in the car. I was the only person in the dining area and everyone else was behind the counter. When I wasn't eating or got up to get a drink, I put on my mask.

(And yes, the sandwich was very good and I look forward to going back)

My Thai place has a great setup. They only do carryout now, they're masked up, they only allow 1 masked up customer in at a time, and after you sign you put the pen in the bucket to be sanitized. Little family joint.

I have sat at the bar to get take out a couple of times but everybody was far apart and I kept my mask on at the time.

A few weeks ago my parents watched our son so my wife and I could go out to dinner. We were early and by the time we left the place was a shit show. Definitely won’t be doing that again. Probably didn’t help it was the same day as a Trump boat parade.

my understanding on indoors settings is that the distance is not as big a deal as the circulation of the air

Back