• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

COVID Thread 2: Operation Ludicrous Speed ! (Super Political!!!)

The risk is way higher with indoor sports.

Sorry about your daughter, RW. Hope she’s the only one in the family and her symptoms don’t get worse.

I caught Covid from coaching basketball. My JV coach now has Covid from coaching basketball. I have 6 players in the program that have tested positive. Yet full practice(in masks) starts Monday in NC because, well, I don't really know.

Do people really think there isn't going to be wide Covid spread within amateur athletics?

Since June, my two kids have played in, and I've coached or help coach, combined well over 100 baseball games, another 30+ soccer games, and easily 50+ associated practices, with multiple teams playing in locations from Asheville to Charleston. As far as I know, nobody got or had the Rona from or during any of it. But yes I would think hockey or basketball played indoors would pose different challenges. But outdoor sports other than football are fine.

I caught Covid from coaching basketball. My JV coach now has Covid from coaching basketball. I have 6 players in the program that have tested positive. Yet full practice(in masks) starts Monday in NC because, well, I don't really know.

will there be restrictions on spectators? Not looking forward to hearing about Grandpa catching the fake virus from watching his grandson play sports

in other news, New York state now has more people hospitalized per capita and more positive tests per capita over the last 7 days than Florida. I guess they're playing a lot of hockey/basketball indoors in Buffalo

will there be restrictions on spectators? Not looking forward to hearing about Grandpa catching the fake virus from watching his grandson play sports

in other news, New York state now has more people hospitalized per capita and more positive tests per capita over the last 7 days than Florida. I guess they're playing a lot of hockey/basketball indoors in Buffalo

God, I want to play on a 2and2 coached team. And yeah, thankfully, spectators are limited to a small percentage of total occupancy which works out to about 25 per game for us, but the parents still sit on top of each other for some reason.

Hockey in NC has had no spectator rules all season, but when we went to Nashville, they were allowing 4 spectators per player. There was a waiver/wristband system in place for that.

Since June, my two kids have played in, and I've coached or help coach, combined well over 100 baseball games, another 30+ soccer games, and easily 50+ associated practices, with multiple teams playing in locations from Asheville to Charleston. As far as I know, nobody got or had the Rona from or during any of it. But yes I would think hockey or basketball played indoors would pose different challenges. But outdoor sports other than football are fine.

Yep, it's pretty clear that indoor activities are way more risky than outdoor activities.

There have been many situations where COVID tore through little league baseball teams, soccer teams (Wake is an example of this), and other outdoor sports. Although it hasn't been proven, I think this likely occurs because of indoor training, car pooling, travel, living together, etc., and not from the sport itself.

Yes. More people are inside in NY than in FL right now. We knew this was going to happen.

Yep, it's pretty clear that indoor activities are way more risky than outdoor activities.

There have been many situations where COVID tore through little league baseball teams, soccer teams (Wake is an example of this), and other outdoor sports. Although it hasn't been proven, I think this likely occurs because of indoor training, car pooling, travel, living together, etc., and not from the sport itself.

Link to that on the youth level? I understand in an NCAA situation where the players are all living together, but I'm pretty tied in with both NC Little League and NCYSA and haven't heard anything like that through the summer and fall seasons. Obviously I've heard of individual families getting it from whatever source and them staying away from the team for 2 weeks, but literally have not heard of one situation in either NCLL or NCYSA where it "tore through" a youth team. We had no games postponed anywhere because of a covid outbreak on any team.

Yes. More people are inside in NY than in FL right now. We knew this was going to happen.

You're forgetting that the entire country should be roped together geographically when an anecdote is needed and only split apart to make arguments for the electoral college and senate representation.

Last edited:
Link to that on the youth level? I understand in an NCAA situation where the players are all living together, but I'm pretty tied in with both NC Little League and NCYSA and haven't heard anything like that through the summer and fall seasons. Obviously I've heard of individual families getting it from whatever source and them staying away from the team for 2 weeks, but literally have not heard of one situation in either NCLL or NCYSA where it "tore through" a youth team. We had no games postponed anywhere because of a covid outbreak on any team.

I don't have a link for that - it is based on seeing kids from the same youth baseball team in NC that all got COVID around the same time (I'm not sure if it was Little League or another league).

As Juice points out, there is no incentive for a league, restaurant, gym, etc to point out that they had an outbreak, plus the tracking is so poor and infection level so high that it's near impossible in the US to track outbreaks. I'm sure there have been outbreaks at TGIFs, but I haven't read heard about any because we are, unfortunately, way beyond that level of tracking in the US.

I just googled and pulled this article, which points out a few examples of youth sports outbreaks, but also points out that there nobody really tracking it either:

https://www.jsonline.com/in-depth/n...vid-19-wisconsin-illinois-indiana/5764743002/

It's a really tough situation because it's impossible to quantify the physical, mental, and social health variables

It's a national article that points out a hockey (unadvisable) tournament in Wisconsin, a football (unadvisable) team in Kentucky, and some vague references to a county in Pennsylvania. Everything else in the article is general media hysteria. Out of tens of thousands of youth sports teams that played throughout the summer and fall, those are about as material as the unfortunate annual team bus that rolls over. Again, I've heard of nothing in NC at either the rec or travel levels.

That's not to say there is an absolute zero risk of transmission, I'm sure there is some at a very minimal level, as those reports bear out. But in light of the tradeoffs, especially with no school socialization for the kids, it has to be pretty near the bottom of things to be worried about.

We hit > 200K new cases nationally each of the last 2 days. I figured that would happen after all of the Thanksgiving travel. Wouldn't be surprised if we went over 250K/day next week.

It's comforting to see that 2&2 still thinks covid is "media hysteria" with 3000+ dead in a single day and 100,000 hospitalized.

...it's generally not the kids folks are too worried about. It's their parents (who may work in nursing home, prisons, etc.), grandparents, etc.

...it's generally not the kids folks are too worried about. It's their parents (who may work in nursing home, prisons, etc.), grandparents, etc.

Well luckily the parents generally aren't posting each other up or tackling each other as they sit in their camp chairs along a 100-yard sideline.

lots of people knew this, but you weren't one of them, since you predicted FL would overtake NY in deaths

Well luckily the parents generally aren't posting each other up or tackling each other as they sit in their camp chairs along a 100-yard sideline.

The parents go home and live with the kids. C'mon, this isn't that hard.

The parents go home and live with the kids. C'mon, this isn't that hard.

No, it's not hard at all. Kids don't get it easily or transmit it easily. The parents generally aren't near each other. So to get to the parent it has to first be in one of the kids, then go from kid #1 to kid #2, which is unlikely to begin with, compounded by an outdoor wideass open-air setting with minimal actual close contact between kid #1 and kid #2. Then it has to go from kid #2 to parent #2. The risk of transmission from kid #1 to parent #2 in this situation is extremely low. Hence why, again, out of tens of thousands of youth teams that played all summer and all fall, there aren't more than a handful of anecdotes from across the country about it actually happening.

CDC says...

Children & teens can get COVID-19.

While fewer children have been sick with COVID-19 compared to adults, children can be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, can get sick from COVID-19, and can spread the virus that causes COVID-19 to others. Children, like adults, who have COVID-19 but have no symptoms (“asymptomatic”) can still spread the virus to others.

Most children with COVID-19 have mild symptoms or have no symptoms at all. However, some children can get severely ill from COVID-19. They might require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to help them breathe. In rare cases, they might die.

CDC and partners are investigating a rare but serious medical condition associated with COVID-19 in children called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). We do not yet know what causes MIS-C and who is at increased risk for developing it. Learn more about MIS-C.

ETA CDC link

Last edited:
Back